The "Messi: the best player in the world. Is it even up for discussion?" thread

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by jfcule, Mar 22, 2012.

1. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    would Rossi be ranked as a top 5 Italian player of all time?..I guess it just shows the power of winning a WC in an individuals ranking

2. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

Messi is def second best player in world...

...at avoiding taxes [emoji23]

KennyDalglish and ShortyMac repped this.
  3. puyol

puyol Member+

FC Barcelona
    Dec 24, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    [​IMG]

KennyDalglish and ShortyMac repped this.
  4. puyol

puyol Member+

FC Barcelona
    Dec 24, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  5. KennyDalglish

KennyDalglish Member

Feb 2, 2007
    So, now Spanish prosecutors decides to swap Messi's two year sentence for a fine immediately as soon as Penaldo gets accused.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.mirr...arcelona-star-lionel-messi-could-10674181.amp

What a disgusting club Real Madrid is? Cheat their way to titles with biased refereeing decisions in home games. Intimidate opposition players with tax evasion (courtesy of a prosecutor who is a Madridista) when the team is on a roll. Give two year sentences to opposition players for tax evasion. And when one of their own players get accussed, offer the same opposition players a fine to nullify their two year sentence. The only reason they are doing this is because they want to offer Cristiano Ronaldo a chance to go free by just paying a fine.

It really brings into perspective about whether Real Madrid as a club would ever have been successful without all the cheating that they do on a regular basis. I mean, this season, Zidane as a coach was exceptional but if it werent for all the fake penalties and offside goals, would Real Madrid have been this successful? and I wouldnt necessarily blame referees - considering the amount of clout Real Madrid has even amongst law enforcement, could we even blame referees for being a bit biased in favor of Real Madrid?

As for being a fan of that club, I really wonder how could anybody get satisfaction out of supporting a club that cheats on a regular basis? But then, half the current support dont necessarily understand the difference between a goalscorer and differencemaker(thus the obsession with comparing Cristiano Ronaldo and Messi) and the other half thinks Raul was the greatest forward of his generation. So, footballing quotient is a bit suspect to be honest.

Bada Bing, afar and Forzabarca repped this.
  6. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    What does it matter if he sticks with the prison sentence ? He won't go to jail anyways. Why would he pay a fine instead of stick to a phony prison sentence ? Only reason I can think of is if you have any problems in the future then you'd really have to go to jail as a 2nd offense with a prison sentence attached to it. But I am just speculating. Still pretty confusing.

7. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Reading through it this sounds like manipulated news. Unless I understand it wrong, this is standard procedure for sentences that are under 2 years for people with no criminal record. Everybody knew Messi wasn't going to jain, but he still has to "pay" to not go to jail (additional to the previous fine), and this just sounds like the settlement and nothing unexpected. I read a news snippet about Mascherano's case and that's what happened.

"El abogado de Javier Mascherano, David Aineto, ya ha solicitado la suspensión automática de la pena de un año de cárcel sustituyéndola por una nueva multa económica que oscila alrededor de 21.000 euros. En este sentido, en el transcurso del juicio, la acusación se ha mostrado favorable a la aceptación de esta medida y se espera que en los próximos días el juez emita un nuevo veredicto."

Basically this sounds like Barca VP trying to twist the facts and the media either not caring or not doing their homework unless there is something I am missing.

8. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
  9. bronx_bull

bronx_bull Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Independent Catalunya is a must now.on its own Barcelona and fcb can be a superclub and do better than even Spain.

10. KennyDalglish

KennyDalglish Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Nobody wants the pseudo prison sentence. It just sets him up for prison time for a minor offense in the future since Messi's current prison time is officially 21 months or something. Messi's lawyers requested a fine back when he was accused and prosecutors refused it outright and gave him the prison sentence. Suddenly the prosecutors are ready To convert it into a fine when Penaldo is accused of doing the same crime but at a higher severity.

Its why Messi has been jumpy and contemplating transfers last couple of seasons. Once it changes to a fine - he will stay at Barca for life. Madrid is pulling strings big time to ensure Penaldo doesnt get a pseudo prison sentence. He has said it outright he will leave Madrid if he is treated like a criminal. So, in a way, this whole Penaldo fiasco ends up benefitting Barca and Messi since Messi will be more at ease after paying the fine- the problem is that his 'crime' was considered less severe only when a Real Madrid player got accused of it. Thats just sad.

inswinger repped this.
  11. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

#4011 Forzabarca, Jun 24, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2017
    Question is if Crimenaldo will follow the same path... If he does, and there is no corruption he'll get a longer sentence than 2 years and has to go to prison. We all know his "sentence" will be converted to fine directly. Big difference there. Ronaldo will have to go to jail and that's just unimaginable and the corruption in Spain and Perez will make sure he'll get away with it. So don't buy that BS about standard procedure.

12. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Do you have any articles. This is what I found. I am still unclear about the whole thing.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-soccer-spain-messi-idUKKBN18K1F7

13. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

Messi again accused for hiding money and not declaring it. This time through his charity foundations. Luckily he doesn't have a jail sentence [emoji23]

14. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    How do you not declare charity foundation income or expenditure? I thought charity income was not taxed? There would be zero reason to hide any income, as long as none of it was drawn on by Messi or used for non-charitable purposes. I don't understand the allegations on this one.

15. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    "So that the process of your tattoo does not hurt more than it should, do not to speak badly about Messi in this shop."

[​IMG]

16. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    #4017 Viscaelbarca, Jun 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
    I love how Eto'o, Puyi, Xavi, Busquets, Alba and Fabregas all travelled together to be at Messi's wedding!

[​IMG]

os_mutante, ShortyMac and puyol repped this.
  17. Cicinho

Cicinho New Member

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Aug 14, 2006
    Spain
    Where do you think his next club will be now that he is over the hill?

18. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Well, he just signed an extension until 2021 so Barca are stuck with him, wheelchair and all, for the next few years. Hope the club can manage.
    If he doesn't retire with Barca he'll likely go to his home club in Rosario, Newell's Old Boys, and retire there..

BocaFan repped this.
  19. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    ShortyMac and puyol repped this.
  20. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    trash list as usual imo. Especially put penaldo in #5 and zidane in #8

unclesox and afar repped this.
  21. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

#4023 Forzabarca, Jul 29, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2017
    Yeah I agree, both way too high up IMO.

Rattlehead and afar repped this.
  22. puyol

puyol Member+

FC Barcelona
    Dec 24, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Where the **** was Xavi ??!?!?!! :confused:

[​IMG]

Ozora, ShortyMac and Forzabarca repped this.
  23. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Looks like playing for Barca guarantees you get a good looking women :)