The "Messi: the best player in the world. Is it even up for discussion?" thread

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by jfcule, Mar 22, 2012.

1. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    If Juve win the UCL they will join the ranks of other elite clubs that have achieved the treble.
    If that were to happen, I can see Buffon receiving more-than-a-few 'lifetime achievement' votes. A Ballon would be a nice, well deserved individual honor for the best goalkeeper this millennium.

afar repped this.
  2. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    If Juve win the UCL they will join the elite group of clubs that have won an European title with Dani Alves. ;)

If Buffon does a good job in the final, I think he may get the vote.

Deep Pal, afar and unclesox repped this.
  3. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
  4. bronx_bull

bronx_bull Member

Sep 23, 2004
    well,real madrid dont deserve it less than juventus for sure.

I love Benzema/Mareclo and Kroos,tremendous players,cant complain if they win.

5. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

Benzema? Seriously? Tremendous? [emoji19]

6. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    true. Modern life is pretty fake as well. Using people nowaday logic, Cruyff, Maradona would not have been best player. What happend to people now? Seeing someone who is completely in different world league is unacceptable (ballon d'or 2013, etc)?

Bada Bing repped this.
  7. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Benzema ? Dude is a thug.

Rattlehead repped this.
  8. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    #3958 unclesox, Jun 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
    Yet there are still no comparisons between he and Pele/Maradona as best ever, debates that continue to involve Messi.

[​IMG]

Rattlehead repped this.
  9. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Balon D'or itself is pretty much for marketing purpose.

First of all, there's so many different position in football, Goalkeeper, defensive midfielder, full back, winger, playmaker, free roaming forward, all out forward / #9, etc ... you'll only find forward and few midfielder being voted as WPOTY. If its not something involving number of goals or creating goals, you will not win. You can make it into top 5 so FIFA can somewhat makes people think their list is credible.

I dont even care if Messi win it 10 x. I'd rather see him winning more thropy with his team. Another CL , league , copa and off course winning the WC.

Also, they way FIFA picking the winner, its not based on individual performance but rather team achievement. Yet it's being called world player of the year award.

Players like Busquet, Mascherano or even Marcelo has a big contribution on their respective teams but they're not marketable.

ShortyMac repped this.
  10. bronx_bull

bronx_bull Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Messi not winning the ballon dor is the least of our concerns now,barca doesnt have a capable management which can handle the competition of the 7-8 mega clubs in europe now,so just be humble lie and low and work.

11. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

Especially the financial capabilities. Clubs like City, PSG, Bayern, United seem to still scrap up lots of money for transfer even if some are making huge losses. I don't get why Barca with the likes of MSN aren't making more money? Except for the salaries and where is the money going? Is cutting the deficit so important?

How can United for example still do well? I mean sure 35 year old Ibra and aging Rooney and lazy Pogba.. What are the glazer family up too? [emoji19]

12. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Last time I checked , MU finished the season below CL spot. How's that doing well?:whistling:

Yes, they won thropy... a thropy which you can only win by finishing below 4th .

13. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

I meant money/economy wise.. no success lately but still manage to spend lots in transfermarket.

It's the business on the side that interests me.

puyol repped this.
  14. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Not true, a 3rd placed CL group stage finish will give you a spot in the last EL 32 teams. Chelsea won it that way.

15. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Point being, if a big club is involved in the Europa League it's hard to justify that they are 'doing well'.
    Europa League is below the standards of big clubs that spend huge for quality players.

16. Apichet

Apichet New Member

Thailand
    Mar 1, 2016
    Bangkok
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    For me, Messi's title for the "greatest of all time" was never in threat anyway, at least not from Cristiano Ronaldo. Every football fan knows he is an expert when it came to getting at the end of crosses and passes.

Ronaldo could have scored four or five goals the way he did in the CL final and it wouldn't have impressed the Messi fanbase or the purists. We knew he could do this so it didn't really surprise us. What would have truly impressed and taken even the Messi supporters by surprise would have been had Ronaldo done something similar to what Messi did against Bilbao in the Copa final recently by deftly dribbling past almost half the team to score a wonder goal. He only had to do this once against Juventus and it would have been more significant to us than scoring lots of goals in the same usual manner we all know he could do. It is this skill set that sets Messi apart as best ever for the purists.

I for one think Messi is the best player in the world no matter who the Ballon d'or winner will be. I appreciate the pure football that Messi demonstrates to us every week. It is a great treat for my eyes for it is deeply satisfying to watch.

ShortyMac, condor11, Rattlehead and 4 others repped this.
  17. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Futbol will not be as exciting to watch upon the retirement of one Lionel Andrés Freakin' Messi.
    Woe is the day. :(

ShortyMac repped this.
  18. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    So true. In fact that should be the start of everyone's stated opinion about who is best between those two.

condor11 repped this.
  19. Apichet

Apichet New Member

Thailand
    Mar 1, 2016
    Bangkok
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Thanks for emphasizing that, all the statements I made are purely my opinion :) I enjoy Messi's unique style of play but I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

condor11 and vilafria repped this.
  20. hala_madrid722

hala_madrid722 Member+

Jan 10, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Messi fan base & "football purist" 99% of the time consist of nerds who have never played the game at any respectable level or most likely have never played at all. They think in these ideological ways that doesn't equate to winning a game. Competition is about winning; you take your Messi goal against a decent at best Bilbao side & I'll take CR's 5 goals against Bayern, 3 goals against Atleti, & 2 against Juve to win the Champions League for 3rd time in 4 years.

I meet these "football purist" all the time, they like to run their mouths at a bar about this and that, then you take them on a field where your mouth wont help you & they embarrass themselves time & time again. Their opinions are truly worthless.

21. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yes, those dribbling goals against decent sides at best.

[​IMG]

Congrats. That's one of the dumbest statements I've ever seen. Now GTFO.

Forzabarca repped this.
  22. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    GTFO with that BS.

23. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

Two offsides ones against 10 men. Another two against ten men and one deflected. Not many goals he scored fairly. If refs wouldn't have given him two free passes against Bayern then he'd be crying still.

Also I remember Messi tearing LPB a new one in Bernabeu.. Two quite delicate goals, no tap ins like your sissy boy [emoji6]

24. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Bunch of nerds who never played the game.

25. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Messi just tore them up a month ago or so in their stadium and he comes to post this shit. Unbelievable.

First La Liga title in 8 freakin years, and suddenly Messi's style is not about winning. What a fukin moron.

condor11 and ShortyMac repped this.