News: The Men In Blazers move from ESPN to NBCSN, to host weekly show

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by SirFozzie, Aug 10, 2014.

1. To the Byline

To the Byline Member

Jan 27, 2014
    United States
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    I just don't find these guys funny at all. Their World Cup material was really weak ("Oh look at how short Valbuena is!" "Tall, small, goal!" "Wet Herrera, dry Herrera" "Look at Kyle Beckerman's hair!" "Chile coach is bald and looks just like Pitbull!" with random pop culture references thrown in between) and it looks like they'll be rehashing the same unfunny jokes about hair on NBC. But to each his own, I guess.

Cantona and corolla repped this.
  2. beInSchwartz

beInSchwartz Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Club:
    ABC Natal
    I do wonder how this will play out. I enjoy their podcast and their sense of humor in the correct environment, but their World Cup/ESPN stuff wasn't really up my alley.

I did just catch Robbie and Robbie on yet another NBCSN program and worry that they are in danger of being overexposed. More voices are needed as the programming piles up.

3. Non-dairy Creamer

Feb 28, 2007
    I like the two Robbies, Generally very insightful, not inciteful, is Kyle Martino not doing any PL stuff? was wondering where he was.

Cantona repped this.
  4. bigtw64

bigtw64 Member+

Aug 16, 2003
    florida
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Left behind on Mt Everest? :D

5. Makandal

Makandal Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Cambridge, MA (USA)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti
    I am not sure your dislike of MIB is what people object to. It may have to do with the assumption you have that shows like theirs is an american phenomenon, not found elsewhere. As pointed out to you, the US don't have the monopoly on goofy, don't take yourself seriously shows.

I don't like their show, I have tried to give them a try based on recommendation and people's putting them as 1 of their soccer podcasts but I quickly realized they were not my cup of tea. I'll probably give them a try on NBC but if the format/style/vibe of their new show is anything like MIB, I'll pass.

sitruc repped this.
  6. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    “THE MEN IN BLAZERS SHOW” - MAKES TV DEBUT ON NBCSN - MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 22 - 10:00 pm ET.

THE MEN IN BLAZERS SHOW, featuring popular soccer personalities Michael Davies and Roger Bennett, will debut their new television program on NBCSN this Monday, September 22 at 10:00 p.m. ET.

NBCSN will present the new 30-minute show - set at the Men in Blazers “studio” in SoHo in New York City - each Monday night at 10:00 pm ET during the Premier League season, with an encore at 12:00 am ET. The new show will also stream LIVE on NBCSports.com and the NBC Sports LIVE Extra app.

http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2...ut-on-nbcsn-monday-september-22-at-10-p-m-et/

7. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Don't think I can tolerate their humor for 30 minutes but hey, good for them.

8. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll tune in but I have liked their podcast for a couple of years now. I am getting a little concerned that the schtik vs. actual football talk equation is starting to get unbalanced to the schtik side, but if that happens I can always stop listening.

9. lynesjc

lynesjc Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jun 21, 2001
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I know there isn't much time in a 30min show with commercials, but it felt very rushed. Sub-optimal compared to their Boot Room Extra efforts during the summer.

10. bmurphyfl

bmurphyfl Member

Jun 10, 2000
    VT
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I enjoyed it. It was choppy and weird like a lot of TV show debuts but it entertained me for a half-hour on a Monday night and I expect it'll improve as they get into a groove over time. I like my serious soccer talk and I like some goofy humor. So, this balances out most of the other stuff I listen to.

11. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After being forced to watch Dancing with the Stars, I'll happily watch Rog and Davo for 30 minutes every Monday night.

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  12. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    Makes me yearn for the days of Fox Football Fone In.

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  13. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I miss the show, for sure, but I hated when they opened up the show to callers. Good grief, that was terrible.

14. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    That was terrible.

But it was so terrible you had to watch.

Most shows on television everything g is scripted, polished.

That certainly wasn't.

Which is why I liked it.

15. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ohh god that was cringeworthy stuff.

16. Howard the Drake

Feb 27, 2010
    debut ratings were brutal. another case of ESPN personalities, even a pair with a huge cult following, not bringing viewers to a new network.

514518167545065472 is not a valid tweet id

17. Ruud11

Ruud11 Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Same here. Also like MIB. Actually think the show is brilliant, especially the clips of fans, coaches and players. Best 1/2hr or the week!

18. beInSchwartz

beInSchwartz Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Club:
    ABC Natal
    They apparently did 42k last week.
    518146225736933377 is not a valid tweet id

19. Ruud11

Ruud11 Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I DVR'ed it but still need to watch it...; so 42001

20. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

http://worldsoccertalk.com/2014/10/...re-literally-sub-optimal/#tOqVphq5RcCJWOTC.99

Ugh...more fodder for certain frequent posters in this forum. No. FSC is not coming back.

21. corolla

corolla Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Well if the commercial with Roger Bennet pretending to rub his nipples doesnt boost the ratings I dont know what will! :rolleyes:. Gimme a break this brand of low rent irony is only appealing to very few nerds every week.

22. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the limited time that the TV show gives them, they've decided to go with humor instead of analysis. On the pod, they can do both, and it's a great listen. The TV show needs work - give 'em time to get their legs.

owian repped this.
  23. BostonGunner

BostonGunner Member

Aug 8, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    These smarmy aholes suck.

24. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #50 LaxBandit, Oct 26, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
    LB - Opps! Somehow this info/press release slip past me! - might as well give a plug to the other two guys who talk about the Premier League on the NBC Sports Group family of channels every week.

NBCSportsRadio.com debuts its first-ever digital-only show "The 2 Robbies Football Show", a Premier League-focused program starring NBC Sports Group analysts Robbie Earle and Robbie Mustoe, this Saturday, October 25 at 5:00 pm ET.

The weekly one-hour Saturday show follows NBC Sports Group’s LIVE Premier League match coverage, and will stream LIVE from NBC Sports Group’s state-of-the-art International Broadcast Center in Stamford, Conn. "The 2 Robbies Football Show" will focus on the Premier League and international soccer, featuring commentary and analysis from Earle and Mustoe, who will take calls and answer questions from listeners. The show will also feature interviews with top names in the sport, including current and former players, managers and analysts.

Each Saturday at 5:00 pm ET during Premier League season, "The 2 Robbies Football Show" will stream on NBCSportsRadio.com and the NBC Sports Radio mobile app, with replays on-demand on both platforms. The NBC Sports Radio mobile app is available at the App Store for iOS devices, and on select devices within Google Play.

http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2...rle-robbie-mustoe-debuts-this-sat-at-5-pm-et/

bigtw64 repped this.