News: The Men In Blazers move from ESPN to NBCSN, to host weekly show

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by SirFozzie, Aug 10, 2014.

1. SirFozzie

SirFozzie Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 17, 2001
    Franklin, MA
  2. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2 LaxBandit, Aug 11, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  3. simont

simont Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NBC keeps on making the right moves.

4. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish they had the rights to the next two WC's instead of FOX.

LaxBandit repped this.
  5. beInSchwartz

beInSchwartz Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Club:
    ABC Natal
    I like how they will be doing a weekly show on Monday. While I like the Robbies and Martino, a few more voices were probably needed.

6. corolla

corolla Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Between this and the Ted Lasso nonsense it looks like ill be tuning out of nbcsns half and post match shows. Its a shame too because i liked their studio stuff conpared to the paltry fs1 options. Oh how I miss setanta!!!

7. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #7 LaxBandit, Aug 11, 2014
    GFOPs, rejoice! Men in Blazers are joining NBC Sports Group’s coverage of the Premier League and will offer a full multi-media, cross-platform showcase for their unique talents. The deal makes Men in Blazers exclusive to NBC Universal for all soccer-related content.

News of the comedic duo, made up of television producer Michael Davies/writer/producer Roger Bennett, joining the network broke last night in the Wall Street Journal article written by Will Connors.

That article noted the centerpiece of the deal being a 30 minute show to air every Monday of Premier League competition and today, additional details of the group’s input have emerged.

The agreement includes one studio appearance per month by Bennett where he will serve as a special contributor, a single one-hour special show (to be aired during a high point of the Premier League season), various features including four to six pieces from the United Kingdom, as well as video-on-demand previews to be distributed via Pro Soccer Talk, Soccerly and Yahoo.

Bennett will also contribute long form pieces to NBCSports.com, where a Men in Blazers section will exist that houses their weekly podcast, headlines and thumbnails for all content.

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/...ers-join-nbcs-coverage-of-the-premier-league/

“MEN IN BLAZERS” JOIN NBC SPORTS GROUP IN NEW CROSS PLATFORM OFFERING.

NBCSN to televise weekly Men in Blazers show on Mondays.
    Debuting in first month of the Premier League Season.
    Exclusive weekly preview each Friday on NBCSports.com
    Men in Blazers Co-Host Roger Bennett to contribute to studio shows and NBCSports.com Editorial.

http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2...-sports-group-in-new-cross-platform-offering/

8. SoftTackle

SoftTackle Member

Jan 16, 2004
    Missoula, MT
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    The power of Tiricoism.

9. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Is this sarcasm or more evidence that soccer fans are the worst?

Redbullsnation2012 and BocaFan repped this.
  10. SirFozzie

SirFozzie Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 17, 2001
    Franklin, MA
    Agreed, the Men In Blazers are funny, knowledgeable and a good change of pace. Besides, other then a once every four week puff piece, it looks like most of their stuff will be on a weekly show.

Not sure where you're coming from here, corolla.

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  11. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
    #11 JG, Aug 11, 2014
    Not a big fan, but it can't be any worse than the studio show they did with Hugh Douglas on BBC America during the Six Nations a few years ago.

12. corolla

corolla Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I like comedy and I like to laugh but what the hell is so funny about these two? Bennett is just a goofy bird looking moron who is not funny but rather ironic. I hated their world cup stuff. "Tee hee we're in the closet" "tee hee kyle beckerman" "tee hee bob ley". Silly hats, corny jokes, i wasnt impressed.

I dont know. I dont see sky sports rolling the laugh cart through the studio. Any comedians on motd? Why do we need jokes. Oh thats right because we're in the US. Dumb it down, bring in the comedians, less real analysis, adhd television. Way to go nbc! Youre falling into the same foxbot mentality as rupert murdochs dog and pony show.

CCinGermany repped this.
  13. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Let's rewind a bit here... in the same sentence you said you liked NBCSN's studio coverage, you complained about FS1's paltry coverage. This is NBCSN adding to their lineup. This isn't replacing studio time. This is additional programming. Ted Lasso is a hugely popular marketing push and a one-off.

It's also a bit ironic for you to use Sky Sports as a standard and finish with putting down the Murdochs. They have a bit of a shared history...

Perhaps we need to dumb down news posts on this board so some won't be pissed off by every additional bit of coverage.

14. SirFozzie

SirFozzie Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 17, 2001
    Franklin, MA
    sitruc, please be careful, I know that wasn't aimed as a personal attack, but it could be taken that way (not using mod voice, since it's a borderline thing)

I do think that corolla's wrong, there's room for the offbeat stuff away from the game coverage, and as the press conference said, this isn't really affecting the pre-half-post game stuff and it's a good thing that shows NBCSN's continued effort to promote the beautiful game.

sitruc repped this.
  15. corolla

corolla Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    This is nbcsn adding the lolz to their studio setup. If you honestly think that this crap wont find its way onto the pre/half/post match studio show you need to read beyond what the press release says, dumbed down or not.

Im also very much aware of murdoch owning both fox and sky sports. The didference is sky presents a classy product, fox presents family guy nascar redneck adhd oriented programming. Maybe thats cool with you, not me.

I loved espns wc coverage. I watched all the matches and dvrd the nightly recap show. By night 3 the MIB stuff was fast fwd time. IMO not funny but ironic for the sake of irony. Like 2 hacks doing an unfunny James Richardson impression.

16. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeh you're right sky would never do anything goofy or off the wall just serious stuff ....

Yep that's a dance off! On Sky.

Redbullsnation2012 and sitruc repped this.
  17. Cpt_K

Cpt_K Member

Jan 20, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I don't have an issue w/the MiB's having a role on NBC as soccer should be fun. Doesn't the UK broadcasters have Soccer AM which is lighter fare? I find the NBC studio shows while informative lacking in a bit of fun. I really loved Pat Dolan who was stuffy but this stuffiness is what made him great because he could be so caustic with his comments when he didn't think a player or team wasn't good enough. I don't get that from the Robbie's or Martino. The MiB in small doses on a weekend coming from the studio and a weekly show add a bit of pizazz to NBC's studio programming.

TJNash repped this.
  18. bigtw64

bigtw64 Member+

Aug 16, 2003
    florida
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ^ True - Robbie & Robbie know their stuff but things are probably a bit too 'polite' in the NBC studio. I'd personally rather them bring in some more hard-hitting panelists rather than comedians

19. corolla

corolla Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The dance off is from soccer a.m. Its a seperate show. Do you think sky would put a simpsons character or judah friedlander on mnf with neville and carragher? I doubt it but hey we live in the US, home of soft sports analysis, everything has to be funny or ironic. You need to "dumb it down" so the average jow will turn off the nascar and welcome soccer into his home. Pretty sad if you ask me.

20. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Didn't Setenta have something quite similar involving puppets of Mourinho, Rooney, Wenger, etc? Same kind of humor anyway.

I usually agree with corolla's views but this one is out there....

Redbullsnation2012 and sitruc repped this.
  21. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    My bad, @SirFozzie. I initially thought this was a different board. (I subscribe to a few boards and have mentioned on the CS board that I miss Alerts showing which board the thread is on), I don't normally post on this particular board because posts like corolla's require too much restraint and get old quick. I'll retreat to the shadows of this board again, waiting for the rare news outside of programming schedules.

22. corolla

corolla Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Boca, yes Setanta had "Special1 tv "which was hilarious. As soon as their amazing saturday morning coverage concluded, they would have a 5-10 min show featuring the Jose puppet. Really funny stuff and quite witty. Check it out on youtube even though some of the jokes might be dated. The point is though, totally seperate show. The puppet never rolled up on Pat Dolan and made him chuckle even if he didnt find it funny.

All summer MIB cracked their irony with stupid beenie hats on and all of the crew put on laughs. Outside of that dunce Julie Fowdy, it seemed like they had to fake the laughter.

Not sure why anyone is getting so angry in the fact that I dont find MIB funny. Its my opinion. And if I get to Christmas without Ted Lasso or MIB polluting the nbc crews usually good (and way above the usual american standard) pre/half/post match coverage, Ill come on here and say Im wrong. Maybe then people like Sitruc who dont like opinions different from his will be happy?

23. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Men In Blazers is a different show too...
    Bennett will be on the regular show one time a month but this isn't new, he already was a regular part of ESPN's coverage and it was mostly serious stuff.

NBC is not Fox I agree with you that Fox's coverage at times appears to appeal to 12 year olds rather than actually football fans, but NBC 's hasn't. Quite the opposite NBC has tried to make there coverage appeal to already existing fans.

Finally do you listen to Men In Blazers? Not sure I would call it "dumbing it down" sure they try and focus on the fun and even ridiculous side of the game rather than in depth tactical analysis but that's what they do.

But hey you have already made up your mind and nothing but Sky's hyperbole infused cliche ridden coverage will do for you.

It's not your dislike of them (different strokes for different folks) it's your insistance that they have and will continue to ruin NBC's coverage when there is no indication in NBC's press release or their coverage last year that this is going to happen. If you don't like MIB fair enough then don't tune into their Monday show. Again there is no indication that they will play a large role during the regular match day studio show. (Even on ESPN they were well after the "serious" analysis had been done).

As for Ted Lasso I think it was F** funny. The line "How many countries are in the this country" was the best thing I have heard in a while and really apt. (trying to explain to many Americans the relationship of Scotland, Wales, and England with in the larger UK and football can be amazingly difficult). I can understand why he isn't your cup of tea but it's not like he was a weekly contributor.

sitruc repped this.
  24. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #24 LaxBandit, Aug 15, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
    "Men in Blazers" - Michael Davies/Roger Bennett will make their NBC Sports Group debuts on "Goal Zone" this Sunday - 1:00 pm ET-2:00 pm ET - NBCSN.

"Goal Zone" will be hosted by Rebecca Lowe and will feature her two "Premier League LIVE" studio mates Robbie Earle/Robbie Mustoe along with BBC "Match of the Day" presenter Gary Lineker.

TJNash repped this.
  25. corolla

corolla Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Goal Zone is not their own show seperate of nbc's studio coverage. So I guess its a good thing we didnt dumb down that press release!