the Matildas unofficial thread

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by hotjam2, Jun 13, 2015.

1. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    well as most of you know, upon arrival in Vancouver, the Matlidas coach, Stajcic, took a trip across the border to Washington, where he must of enjoyed that states's earthly 'legal' delights, otherwise how else can you explain his stoned out version of a back line vs the US???

at gk.........his third string goalkeeper, Hudson

then the rest...........

Uzunlar........Alleway..........Catley..........Foord

Uzunlar is known as perhaps the most atrocious full back ever to play on a top 10 team. Why on earth would Stajcic have her guard arguably the US best player in Rapinoe? And of course the results were predictable with Rapinoe scoring 2 goals & 1 assist as she completely burned Uzunlar
    . Catley, one of the best fb's in the world, especially known her her 'wicked' cross kicks when she does come on the attack, but otherwise a feather weight defender, now stuck at central defense??? Very odd indeed

Finally Stajcic must of chewed on some whopper malts and got back his senses, as his new back line starters vs Nigeria was
    first rate gk.................Williams

Foord.........Alleway..........Kennedy........Catley

I wish Foord could be a mid and help on the attacking end, I mean with another coach at the helm, she had the goal of the year in 2014 vs of all teams, defensive utopian's, Japan, but she is one of the fastest players in the world and would of surely more valuable as an attacking mid, but in this case it did make snese to have her back there to offset Nigeria's incredibly speedy forwards.
    Catley's finally back at her much preferred left back position and bringing in Kennedy(from the record breaking W'League's Perth Glory) at cb does show there's hope for Stajcic yet. Just wish now he would stop starting, the hopeless slow poke, Gorry. Did anybody else notice how much faster Tameka Butt was when she came in for Gorry?
    But anyways here's hoping Kerr is all right after enduring a particular nasty foul from one of the Nigeria. The Matildas can't ill effort to loose their 'spark plug'.
    here's highlights of the Matlidas game vs Nigeria(double click to get over to youtube)

PS I might be a bit too harsh on Stajcic, but I would of never started Simon over Heyman. So he got me over that one!

2. Plxix

Plxix BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 13, 2006
    We love you Matildas!!1

3. Matilda Maniac

Matilda Maniac Big Soccer Memebr

Sep 21, 2006
    Perth
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    We love you Matildas!!2

4. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  5. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Staj started Barbieri against the US because Williams picked up a thigh injury before the US game. That's why Williams didn't take goal kicks against Nigeria. She also spent a good portion of the pregame warmups on the sidelines talking to the keeper coach. And as much as I dislike Unzular as a defender, Alleway was abysmal against the US.

Gorry might not have blazing speed or much size, but she's amazing at splitting defenses with her passing.

6. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    BlueCrimson repped this.
  7. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, and apparently De Vanna was so sore after the US game that she spent a couple days on crutches.

9. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :eek:

I remember (way back in the day) being so sore after a soccer camp that I could barely walk up and down stairs, but having to use crutches...that's crazy!

10. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    congrats to the Matildas for 2nd place in the group of death! There was the Swede's surge late in the first half that was as scary to watch as any horror film I've ever seen! but a beautiful goal by Devanna & tenacious defense in the 2nd half which took Sweden out of it's rhythm, highlighted this game. Foord did a fantastic on marking Schelin. Hopefully she'll do it again vs Marta & Brazil! Here's whatever highlights FIFA allows these days

11. Plxix

Mar 13, 2006
    Dude please beat Brazil.

12. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    phenomenal win by the Matildas over the Brazilian favorites. and ain't Foord the world greatest fullback? She marked Marta right out of the game. But great game from everyone........now lets take it all the way to the finals!

13. IKickAndIm50

IKickAndIm50 Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Let's see what you all can bring vs Japan :)

14. Plxix

Mar 13, 2006
    Thanks dude!

(Yes I'm quoting myself omg)

15. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why do they call themselves the Westfield Matildas? Where did Westfield come from?

16. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Westfield is the major sponsor of the women's team and the W-League.

17. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah. That's a little disappointing TBH. I thought it had some historical reference; like they were formed somewhere named Westfield or something.

blissett repped this.
  18. Dundalk24

Dundalk24 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    PA/OH
    Australia can go very far the way they've been playing. I just hope they can deal with the attrition and that they've got a good lineup set to take PKs should it come to that.

19. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is that so surprising to people? She did the same thing when Australia played Brazil 4 years ago, on her way to being named Best Young Player in that tournament. That first game, BTW, was as a 16 year old in only her second ever cap.

blissett and lunatica repped this.
  20. wf1g

wf1g Member

Oct 15, 2014
    on Tour
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    WOW..did y'all see how well the Nadeshiko play?
    Gonna be a great game against the Matildas.
    Replay of the 2014 Asian Cup Final !!!

blissett repped this.
  21. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I didn't watch the J game vs Netherlands, but remember the Dutch in a previous match with China, and they barely put any defense allowing the Chinese to run amok. That's a completely 360 degrees opposite the way the Matildas pressure the midfield. Plus some were still teens back when they played them last in early 2014. Now their fully grown adults!
    But in all fairness to Japanese. they do play well in unison, there's no Marta or Shelin for my beloved to isolate and defend 1v1, any one of their players could step up and score a goal.

22. Plxix

Mar 13, 2006
    Mah money is on the Matildas against Japan.

Reason: more rest time.

53 hours more, that's a lot.

23. IKickAndIm50

IKickAndIm50 Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Sometimes it's a double edged sword, and too much rest can reduce your focus/concentration, feeling of intensity.

24. Plxix

Mar 13, 2006
    We're talking Australians, where intensity is life.

You know why that team is so feisty? In the land down under, athletes can't train outdoors because even an insect bite can kill. They practice indoors but can't use the toilet because there are poisonous snakes nipping at the butt. So train inside, but sneak outside at night to go poop, while fending off territorial pygmies. Saw this on youtube so it's true.

PaulV and IKickAndIm50 repped this.
  25. wf1g

wf1g Member

Oct 15, 2014
    on Tour
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    What a crock...
    Have YOU ever been to OZ?
    I lived there back in the dark and dirty 80's
    Get off the internet and experience the world

blissett repped this.