The man wanted in an Orange suit, the search for our next soccer saviour

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by BaritoPutra, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Erwin wants to manage a club team again as man in charge.

2. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Koeman in. Let the beating end... Netherlands will be back to prominence in not-so-distant future!! :geek:

Genuinely excited for his appointment... can't say the same when Blind and Advocaat were selected. Koeman is relatively young but has some considerable experience, he is pragmatic, ambitious and motivated (especially after his tough spell at Everton). He works well with young players, so I hope for some house clearing. Bring in the new era! He has few nice lego blocks to work with, especially in the defensive end. Being a defender himself, I expect the Netherlands will be as walled-in as Greece in 2004 :p:whistling:

It didn't dawn on me until just now... Koeman has coached the Big 3 (Ajax, Feyenoord and PSV) + AZ Alkmaar. Has there been a Dutch boss (or just any coach) with such diverse background?

3. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    The beating has ended ... with the Nations League backdoor it's virtually impossible not to qualify for EURO2020.
    Expectations aren't very high as well. If Holland don't survive a group with Germany and France in the Nations League people can't really be too critical (in a way Koeman cannot fail, can only exceed expectations). Then you have EURO2020 qualification which is pretty much idiot proof. Once Holland get there does anybody actually feel like Holland should be challenging for the title? Most likely Koeman will be asked to extend his contract and stay the full 4 years.

Koeman said he'll play his best XI (in a 4-3-3 as the standard formation + other formations if he feels the need to adapt to the opposition). I'm guessing it won't be a huge break with Advocaat in terms of who plays (didn't he use those he thought were the best at the time/against a particular opponent). Do you really expect a big churn in players from Koeman (lots of new faces in the starting line-up and new squaddies)? As a pragmatic manager would he trust unproven players? There isn't even much time to bed them into the team/starting line-up ... only two international breaks ahead of the NL group phase in September.

4. From his first remarks I noticed he follows the van Marwijk doctrine:"You better be very happy to be in the Orange shirt and you better perform each time you play in that Orange shirt". With BvM there was not such a thing as a "friendly". You become a winner by winning everything and not by thinking you can freewheel in those matches. Good to see that mantra back again. So goodbye to Depay.

5. Frysk Bloed

Frysk Bloed Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Interested to see if he brings in the 3-5-2. Right now it certainly might be our best option.

de Vrij - van Dijk - de Ligt
    Janmaat - Wijnaldum - Strootman - Willems
    van de Beek
    Promes - Memphis
    Other options of course, but just how I would like to see it implemented. Eventually bringing in F. de Jong because he's fantastic.

6. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I would leave Memphis in for the weaker opposition, and put Dost in against stronger teams

7. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    More than 90% of Koeman's wages is still being paid by Everton. They aren't pleased at all seeing the salary being paid by the Dutch FA is less than what tiny FAs can afford and only half of what the Austrian manager makes. Sounds like Koeman and the Dutch FA colluded and Everton are getting screwed over (Koeman was one of the highest paid PL managers).

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spo...on-embroiled-bitter-contract-dispute-14468094

Van Gaal claiming that if given more time he would have had United playing like Pep's City, LMAO

https://sportbild.bild.de/fussball/...ho-attackiert-united-boss-55243264.sport.html

8. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    It's more like stupid business move by Everton!

Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  9. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    I don't disagree. Everton must be kicking themselves to have handed him such an exorbitant deal. They should have used a performance based contract, especially as Koeman left them in the relegation zone.

Still it doesn't exclude collusion between Koeman and the Dutch FA. No way the KNVB pays as little as they do now, a laughable amount completely out of touch with reality, if Everton don't pay more than 90% of Koeman's wages.

10. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    And a very smart business move by Koeman!

Orange14 repped this.
  11. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Why?

12. Donot think there's a candidate who is without a doubt the succeeder of Koeman.
    We're in the same situation as when this thread started.
    So it's better to keep discussions etc. about it in one place instead of letting it litter several threads. For instance several Orange coach/Koema posts now in the Other team thread have literaly nothing to do with what that thread is intended for, discussions about teams and clubs

13. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I was looking for this thread the other day.

14. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    It honestly doesn't matter who they pick as trainer. I would just let van Dijk run things both on the field and off. Other than de Haan or Weigman he is the best choice available without question.

15. The first thing that matters is that this Orange squad is a very attractive team/selection to coach.
    Problem is that foreign coaches havenot got the know how about the young rising players.
    Second problem is not many coaches are free.
    Mauricio Pochettino is, but his salary demands are way too high.

16. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    dutch assistant coaches should be ok as advisors. apart from this a good coach will always be able able to scout talent without knowing them . look at Bielsa he doesn't even speak English but yet he has revived leeds united.

I agree on your first point, for any coach you need to have a attractive team/selection which I think is there. this is the time for overhaul. Blind, propper, Babel, Van Annholt strootman and others making numbers on the bench should be shipped out. bring in those who are ready to make the transition. there is handful now.

17. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    A classy joint statement released by the current Oranje players regarding Koeman's leaving:

“Under the leadership of Ronald Koeman, we have taken enormous steps in recent years and laid the foundation for a bright future. As a team, we are very grateful for that. We understand that he wants to make his dream come true at Barcelona and we grant him this.

“We are going to do everything we can to realise our dreams in Orange and make the Oranje fans proud.”

As to the next manager, reportedly Wenger is currently topping the betting odd (according to Sky Bet). Top contenders are:

11/8: Wenger
    8/1: Ten Hag, De Boer
    10/1: Bosz
    11/1: Van Gaal
    12/1: Hiddink, Cocu
    14/1: Van Bronckhorst, Rijkaard

A couple surprises for me... thought I read that stories of Wenger’s approaching KNVB were fake news. Maybe there’s mutual interest there after all?

Rijkaard - didn’t he retire from coaching? He did well with Oranje the first time around, and with Barca after that. I remember he had an attractive attacking playbook. The rest of his managerial career was head-scratching though. Likely a long shot to be selected, especially for a guy who has been in the hiatus, but maybe a good complementary piece (assistant) for anybody selected.

All things considered, Bosz or ETH for me. Both have the closest affinity and playing style to Koeman’s. So theoretically this would be a continuity, rather than a complete re-start.

18. bunbohue

bunbohue Member+

Apr 5, 2005
    I have the same feeling with Bosz or Ten Hag but are they going to leave their respective clubs? They need strong assistant coach/coaching staff, someone with more experiences but fit their ideologies/styles. For now it is Dwight Lodeweges which I do not know much about. Cocu, De Boer, Gio are not ready. The others are too old and their styles may not fit the modern football these days. I don't want a few games in and they start to have health issues and KNVB has to look for new coaches. :)

19. Rudy Völler has told he's not going to let Peter Bosz leave for the Orange team.

20. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Doesnt a club manager make more money than a NT manager anyways, or is it the other way around??

21. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Let's hope that Bosz could pull a "Koeman" :p i.e. negotiating an exit from Leverkusen to take the Oranje helmet. I read that he has a huge release clause.

The situation in Leverkusen is not exactly rosy. They narrowly missed out the UCL next season (after finished fifth in Bundesliga) - so no big revenue money coming in. Their prized asset and star player, Kai Havertz is unhappy. It's a foregone conclusion that he will be sold this summer. Who knows if the club can replace him properly, and how it would change the team dynamics. Next season could be a tricky situation for Bosz, if not uninteresting.

On the other hand...

Oranje NT is Bosz' "dream job" - he makes no secret about it. He would be taking over an emerging powerhouse that already has a great foundation, thanks to Koeman. Captained by one of the world's best players - and has other monster building blocks (De Jong, De Ligt, Memphis, Wijnaldum). Bosz' attacking approach would fit in nicely. The team is in unity, no conflicts what-so-ever... everybody is enjoying each other. Oranje fans base, even those who tend to be overly-critical, are quite enthusiastic. And, on top of that, the talent pipeline for the 1-3 years is very robust. In many ways, for Bosz, this Oranje NT would be a relatively easy transition, i.e. low risk, high reward.

22. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Here's one candidate who will not take over Oranje NT: Guus Hiddink.

Hiddink has just been appointed to head coach of..... Curaçao :geek::laugh::thumbsup: