The Major League Soccer Coaching Carousel Tracking Thread v 2013-14

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by THOMA GOL, Oct 25, 2013.

1. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    henryo and Geneva repped this.
  2. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a thick list of candidates for Crew.

Also do we really think Colorado gives up Peraja?

3. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Paging @JasonMa

4. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quoting my post in the Rapids forum:

5. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    It's strange to arrive at this board and see a long thread that I started but don't remember starting.

At any rate, yeah -- this is gonna be one hell of a coaching carousel.

henryo and THOMA GOL repped this.
  6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a Rapids fan I feel for the suffering of Dallas fans and I'm willing to be generous and let them have their coach from our staff back.

Your 2014 Dallas head coach, Dave Dir!

Furacao del Norte and Ismitje repped this.
  7. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AndyMead repped this.
  8. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Rennie is really good at x's and o's, but I'm not sure he's a good player manager. He did a great job in Cleveland and Cary where there's never a lot of roster continuity.

The big year in Cary (2010), I think we had 32 or 33 players under contract by the time we were pulling up players on loan (Tommy Heinemann) from USL-D3 after their season had ended.

In the end, the RailHawks got really good results, but I think there was a lot of butthurt in the locker room. It's got to be tough to being a starter for a winning team and knowing the coach is going out and bringing in new players to start on an almost weekly basis.

When you get to the top of the food chain (MLS in this case), there tends to be a lot more roster stability, and a manager has to be able to get the players on board. Can any of the Vancouver fans speak to any of this from your perspective?

Ismitje and Geneva repped this.
  9. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, that seems to be his weakness, but he should get another season at least. Think Sigi at Columbus. Some things take time.

Not that I believe he will get another season.

10. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let see if we got all of this:

Crew have interviewed/discussed the head coaching job with:
    Guillermo Barros Schelotto, Brad Friedel, Gregg Berhalter, Jesse Marsch, Tab Ramos, Richie Williams and Frank Yallop and would like to with Bob Bradley. Bliss still in mix too.

NYCFC has interviewed Guillermo Barros Schelotto and Jason Kreis

FC Dallas has Tab Ramos high on their list and rumors have them making a play on Oscar Peraja

Chicago rumors are that Klopas might be let go for Jesse Marsch or Bob Bradley

Whitecaps might go for Frank Yallop.

Sigi? Hackworth? Olsen?

Did I miss any?

11. henryo

henryo Member+

Jun 26, 2007
    #11 henryo, Oct 26, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
    Just curious, other than Frank Yallop himself, has any other individual(s) coached the same MLS team(s) over multiple stints?

12. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think so. And I'm not quite sure you can count Quakes 3.0 was the same as 2.0. I do think a few assistants were interim for the same team more than once (Haslett in Chicago for example).

henryo repped this.
  13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting that Gary Smith is currently not working as a coach and despite having won MLS Cup his name isn't even on the radar.

14. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I only agree with you because his replacement in San Jose (the first time) is still on the job in Houston.

If Kinnear wasn't still employed by the same franchise, I'd probably go the other way.

15. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    There have been several interesting one and done MLS coaches.

David Dir and Steve Nicol both had some success, but never got another top job.

Bob Gansler only got the one shot, though one of his KC players had him as an assistant coach later on.

16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Dave Sarachan....................who actually won trophies with the Fire has yet to get another opportunity.
    What did he win, a Supporter's Shield and two US Open Cups? Went to at least one MLS Cup final if I can remember.

Actually, if we tabulated the trophy haul of clubs with Dave Sarachan around..................it must be ridiculous.That guy has been on winning staffs in DC, Chicago, and LA, and was on Bradley's staff with the USMNT in the 2002 era. Oh, and of course at UVA with Arena...................

Why did he never get a second chance? Did he not want one?

17. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    He's always been a bit of a Riker. I think he and Bruce work extremely well together, and their families are very close as well.

18. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    It took me a while to figure out what a Riker was........................? :)

SourCream&OnionUtd, JasonMa and AndyMead repped this.
  19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    By the way, a little info on the FCD job.

Former FCD player Brian Haynes is interested in the job:

http://soccerblog.dallasnews.com/2013/10/brian-haynes-would-like-to-talk-to-fc-dallas.html/

And of course there's the scuttlebutt about FCD bringing Pareja back from Colorado:

http://soccerblog.dallasnews.com/2013/10/is-fcd-working-on-the-return-of-pareja.html/

Buzz does say this....................

If Ridge had been the sole source of this information I’d probably let it ride as a simple rumor, but this is now the third time in the last week it’s either been suggested to me as “in the works” or as a potential idea. So, I’m starting to smell the faint hint of smoke…

20. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Frozen Swampland, Soviet Canuckistan
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Just a gut feeling, but it sounds like teams want to get away from MLS 1.0 managers. Why?

21. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JasonMa repped this.
  22. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Bruce Arena, Sigi Schmid, Bob Bradley seem to be in demand.

Many early MLS coaches are old. Another cohort of early MLS coaches only fleetingly - if at all - played the game professionally.

I don't think that it's so much that people are avoiding early MLS coaches than it's that there are far more options available today than there used to be.

In 1996 Bruce Arena left a comfy job for life at Virginia for the risky world of MLS - which might not last more than a season or two.

In 2013 Caleb Porter left Akron for MLS, but perhaps he might have chosen otherwise 17 years prior.

We've seen that during all three women's pro leagues. The coaches you tend to get when launching a risky sports league are a mixed bag of foreign carpetbaggers, coaches between or about to be between jobs (Marcia McDermott), coaches that never seem to stay anywhere for long (Omid Namazi), and coaches with nowhere else to go (Ron Newman).

Some turn out to be quality, others are quickly cycled through.

As the retirement of Ramiro Corrales is imminent, we now have an entire generation of former MLS players whose playing careers are over.

If you pull out the USL and MLS organization media guides from 1999 and list the technical staffs of all the teams, you'll find very little in the way of professional playing experience above the level of semi-pro ball.

Today, I'd wager that maybe more than half the technical staffs of PDL through MLS have dressed for an MLS game during their playing careers. And we're also seeing it throughout Divison I men and women's soccer, too.

SourCream&OnionUtd and Allez RSL repped this.
  23. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The potential Rapids generosity vis-a-vis the Dallas coaching gig knows no bounds, what with y'all already giving them Clavijo as coach-in-waiting.

jayd8888 and JasonMa repped this.
  24. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meh. :D

Plenty to talk about this offseason, so I am pulling the new stuff out for its own thread.

THOMA GOL repped this.
  25. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    MLS staff? Yes.

Other levels? Not so much.