THE MADRID DERBY I La Liga Jornada 23 I 9.2.19 I 16:15 CET

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by MiamiNative0722, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    But they had him in the youth system....? o_Oo_O

What do you think they have players in the youth system for?

2. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Theo himself has said he knew he had to leave to reclaim his confidence and get his mojo back. It's clear he felt he wasn't up to snuff to be in Madrid's first team. The club surely say it too, but I think the club also must've seen something in Reguilon to at least count on him in a pinch and it's worked out. What's the issue here?

3. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Reguilon outplayed Theo in pre-season so it wasn't a surprise either.

4. Style

Style Member+

May 8, 2009
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Reguilon is an average left back who is solid defensively and can cross the ball with his left foot going forward.

Since he didn't commit any mistakes he proved to be more reliable than Nacho and Theo. His injury record make him more dependable than Vallejo. In attack he offers very little but hardly ever loses the ball.

And unlike Hakimi he is actually left footed...

Solid choice. Reminds me of Arbeloa and dare I say Miguel Torres.

russian hattie repped this.
  5. janos audron

janos audron Member+

Apr 12, 2010
    Check your glasses.

Yannick Relens repped this.
  6. russian hattie

russian hattie Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Gives me the Miguel Torres memories too. That’s not a bad thing, he was solid for a couple of seasons and helped transition to Marcelo I guess. Maybe Reguillion will be more than that, but if he is another Torres, or and Arbeloa or a Nacho, that’s a solid and important player.

7. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    Can't give credit to the club for finding good players, but we gotta throw the full blame at them when the players don't work out.

Shay Z, rrrrrafik, yoanaidarov and 7 others repped this.
  8. fierro

fierro Member+

Jan 30, 2007
    El Chuco
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He's 22 years old. He joined the youth acedemey in 2005 and spent the previous four seasons in the 2nd division; but, the club suddenly "found" him. There's never been any plan for Reguillon.

He found himself in the team as a backup because the club was more interested in Theo's development. The club sent Theo on loan to continue his development because the LB position was not considered open to competition and Reguillon was a player the club could afford to let rot on the bench. Circumstances changed and credit to Reguillon for grabbing the opportunity but that's not a part of some master plan by Florentino who was actually more interested to see the investment in Theo pay some dividend.

9. Bear Crotch

Bear Crotch Member+

Jan 2, 2008
    Ohio, United States
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Who cares? He's playing ahead of one of the best LBs we've ever had.

Also, he's been very good going forward so I'm not sure where the Miguel Torres or Arbeloa comparisons are coming from.

S1na and madridista_hr repped this.
  10. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    This is such a bizarre argument.

Every player "making" it is a credit to all their work. At the end of the day though, they need someone to give them a chance. The coach who gave him a chance was the same one who had him starting in Castilla last year. The club may have not had envisioned he'd be a starter this year and overtake the best LB in the world, but there is a reason why he is in the system. I know it's blasphemy for us to give credit to the management team that somehow stumbled upon winning 3 CLs in a row.

Bear Crotch repped this.
  11. Bear Crotch

Bear Crotch Member+

Jan 2, 2008
    Ohio, United States
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Isn't it sad that when the negativity is so strong that it doesn't ever occur to the fan that their team is in a dynasty?

Sounds stressful.

12. fierro

fierro Member+

Jan 30, 2007
    El Chuco
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not being negative but I'm not going to go along with some revisionist narrative that describes Florentino as having such a keen eye for talent that he identified 6 year old Reguillon as a future LB back in 2005 and predicted that Calderon would sign Marcelo but Marcelo would have a precipitous decline in the year 2019 thus giving Reguillon a clear path into the first team.

13. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are being silly dude. As usual.

2Magia2, Zidane05 and 4x4s repped this.