Shaw Flank Redemption - The Luke Shaw Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Cevno, Jun 27, 2014.

1. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #551 Ashur, Mar 18, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    The only way I see us going for a CB this summer really, is if Alderweireld decides to leave Tottenham and with his contract running down, he'll be too good and cheap an option to pass up.
    As mentioned above, Timmy surely has elevated his chance to at worst be Valencia's backup. And I would not rule to impress and win the job if he gets the opportunity.
    Whether we go for one or 2 CMs is the biggest question for me: if we bring 2 of them in, paying top money for a LB might be more difficult, but still feasible, I imagine. Things is though, a LB is a must and unless we go for a second tier type, like Escudero for instance (older and slightly less talented), I would imagine that the options we would be looking at would be in the 40mil minimum.
    And if we're willing to pay that kind of money for a FB, just might as well go for the best of the bunch at 60-70mil. The sales of Shaw and one of our CBs might not cover the difference, but it would soften the blow at least.
    Really feel that if we take care of the FB spots, it will go a long way in getting the back line set, with or without a new CB. Don't know if we'll have another 200mil to spend, but that would cover 2 CMs and Sandro.

2. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Would love it if we got Sessegnon. Could play him as inverted winger @ RWF and given Mou expects defensive work from his wingers could learn Mou system.

Against weaker oppo where we mostly attack could play left back. He is servicable there already.

Wont happen though.

3. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
  4. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    You know what pisses me off. Skysports has gone down so far in quality of their reporting that most of the crap they have now is he said she said.

It's like People magazine, a source close to the "Insert Celebrity/player" said that ....

5. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I don't even care about the Shaw vs Jose feud. He should go for the mere fact that he isn't good enough. I said it before, but if you're not good enough to displace Ashley Young, then you're not good enough for United.

6. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    you're just salty about Shaw. which is fine. you obviously have some affinity for him that the rest of us don't but how else would they get this story other than word of mouth?

you were expecting an official presser with an announcement? or a West Ham William Carvalho e-mail? don't blame Sky because he is hurt or not good enough

7. thenamestsam

thenamestsam Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    What's really striking to me on the rare occasions we see Shaw these days isn't just the lack of fitness, but that he really looks mediocre from an athletic standpoint. Going back and watching his highlights from his time at Southampton, a lot of his successful dribbles were just using speed and quickness, which is to be expected for a FB.

But he doesn't look anywhere near that level physically at the moment - I've noticed him struggling for pace a few times this year and I can't remember seeing him explode by someone. Not sure whether it's the weight or he has just never come all the way back from the injuries, but in the modern game FB is an immensely athletically demanding position and he isn't elite in that area any more (and doesn't have the other qualities to cover for it).

8. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Shaw has never been an outstanding footballer. He's a mediocre talent with elite pace which made up for his bad positioning defensively and got him in good positions offensively, which he blew due to having no end product. We bought him in hopes that defensive awareness and end product going forward would develop. They haven't and he lost some pace due to his injury. Now he's just mediocre everywhere.

Diable Rouge repped this.
  9. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    i've been saying this for a while: luke shaw has zero ball skills. he can get to the byline with sheer pace but his only option once he's there is to hit a blind, low cross as hard as he can because he can't actually find heads with a lofted ball.

he has no idea how to prevent a winger from putting in a dangerous cross in 1v1 situations. also, 4 managers have now criticized his training habits (poch, hodgson, lvg, mou). i think it's time to move on.

10. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Little luke has to go to a club, far far away ;)

11. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Actually, it's 5.

Your forget Atkins, his first senior coach.

12. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

13. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    Jeff won't take that well...

benni... and Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10 repped this.
  14. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
  15. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    Good read though.

Mou did it on purpose to motivate Shaw on putting his shit together.

Chaz Striker repped this.
  16. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    i love how many theories there are on this. another one is that José is still salty about him choosing United over chelsea and now he is punishing him.

whether nonsense, speculation or truth, it doesn't matter. the end result of all of them is still the same - he needs to move on. it's best for all parties

17. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    I personally have only seen one or two theories and they all match up in a way.

Every coach has questioned the same mental attributes as well as his fitness. It makes perfect sense all the stories. I started to assume that this is why people arent really hammering Jose too much for his treatment of Luke. Its because they know the deal with him.

19. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    well i was specifically referring to José's treatment of him. on a wider scale i think any attitude or commitment issues have moved beyond the realm of speculation with him. the leg break and current media image of Mourinho probably help shield him from criticism about it. that and no one really cares about him or hates him. or at least there are plenty more persons ahead of him in terms of media and public scrutiny.

anyway, like i said, the theories and speculation is all largely irrelevant because all paths lead to the same end and that is he needs to leave

20. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  22. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    What a ********ing disgrace.

23. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    if not Sandro then Gayà please. we need to end this saga. best for all parties

benni... repped this.
  24. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even more so when he knows he currently has a coach who does not fancy him and has to win over.
    At least, his attitude the summer before he broke his leg, was much better. He was committed to his fitness after being called out by van Gaal, to the point he took his fitness coach with him on holiday.
    And the results showed as he had a terrific start of the season, until his unfortunate incident.

benni... repped this.
  25. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shaw ready to compete?

www.espn.com/soccer/story/3557606/manchester-uniteds-luke-shaw-to-fight-for-place-despite-struggling-for-games-under-jose-mourinho?src=com

It's good to see him in shape at least. He actually will have a big opportunity on tour, with only Dalot as his real competition (no AY and I assume Mitchell s still recovering from his knee injury) to get games and show what he's got.
    Still hoping however, at this point, that the summer ends up with United having secured Alex Sandro.