Shaw Flank Redemption - The Luke Shaw Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Cevno, Jun 27, 2014.

1. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    It is a matter of formality. He has proven to Mourinho he has overcome his struggles. Mou did the right thing to hold out until Shaw has proven himself.

2. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Bye bye Shaw.

3. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
  4. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    You really think he's not gone?

Jose has to be so sick by now.

5. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Finito, arrivederci. Shaw is done at this club, barring some type of miracle. Ever since Jose made the proclamation that Shaw was one of the best LB or something of that nature, he's made only 2 starts, including today.
    He not only have offensive limitations that haven't improved, but today, again, Jose chastised him for his defensive game. I was all for giving him a chance, but there is something that is just not clicking between him and Jose. And this hot-cold, up and down stuff when it comes to him, is getting old.
    Shaw might well end up making it, but it needs to be with a manager who really believes in him. It's not Jose: he tried, I think but it's just not there. Best rip off the band aid swiftly on this and move on. Especially when some top options are there for the taking this summer, starting with Alex Sandro.

doubletrouble repped this.
  6. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    Look at I don't think he was that bad. I get Mou, defensively he was always positioned the wrong way giving March way too much space to turn and do his thing because he was too tucked in. Young when I always watch him, he is always always on his man, it's crazy he is always tight. He reads the opponent better.

Offensively, he had an influence on the first goal.

Overall, every time I watch him he looks gassed like he is tired or something. Especially in possession when we are deep, he is slow to react and make something happen. Maybe he needs to lose more weight. He is still a work in progress.

players have bad games, he did. Move on. He'll work with Mou. We at least know that the kid wants to make it here and is listening to Mou.

Now that we are out of the UCL and we have more breathing room in the league, he'll get EPL games.

7. Kakeru

Kakeru Member+

Manchester United
    Japan
    Feb 22, 2016
    Montréal, QC, Canada
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Yep. When you combine 1) the fact that he did not follow instructions asking him to push forward and 2) the tweet like during the match (even if that's made by his PR team), it's now impossible for him to go back.

It's a real shame that everything fell apart like that after the month of December when he appeared to deserve his spot ahead of Ashley Young. However, the truth is that athletes are always responsible of how they perform.

8. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The issue with his weight has been on going on since the moment he arrived. The fact that this, along with his overall level of fitness is still an issue obviously all those years later, that alone is almost grounds to let him go, because in the end, it reflects a lack of professionalism.
    What you're doing here is delve into excuse-mode for him, because you're high on him and as it tends to happen, you're wearing blinkers when it comes to him.
    I've been very high on him in the past as well, and I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, mainly because of his leg break. But we're well over 2yrs since it happened and he should be at his best. And if he's not a regular yet, he should be one of the hungriest and most dedicated guys out there. Which means be in perfect shape, lean, strong and full of stamina. He also should be showing some type of progress on the weaknesses in his game. Yet, both areas (his physical state and his game) have not evolved and are wanting.
    Plus, as mentioned, this constant "battle" of sorts with Mourinho is just not healthy. Let him start somewhere else, because he's looking more like Jose's whipping boy at this point, more than anything else and he does not deserve it.
    As mentioned, I still think there is a good player there who can make it. But it's unlikely it will be at United. Best for everyone concerned to cut ties and move on. Plain and simple.

9. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    the confusing part is you acknowledge all that is wrong with his game but at the same time tell people to chill

10. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    My issue is the rate of progress. He's just barely improving, and when we think he's finally turned a corner, he regressed.

Kakeru repped this.
  11. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'd just like to point out that at the start of the season I said he was done here. Glad everyone else is on board now.

Jose bullshit aside, Shaw has just never shown enough. He had one small patch of good form surrounded by large stretches of being injured or out of form. If you can't unseat Ashley Young, then you're not good enough. End of conversation.

12. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    I don't think you can progress when you don't play as a player.

13. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    Yes of course. He is what 23. Went through a long term injury with other smaller injuries.

14. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This reminds me of the argument about Depay, whether he was good or bad.

15. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    BBC reporting Shaw upset by comments and wants to leave.

Both Mou & Shaw p&&s me off TBH. Mou for publicly saying he is great one week then dropping him and hanging him out to dry first 45 minutes back. Shaw for his reported lack of effort and conditioning, apparent mental weakness and lack of development.

Luke Shaw: Man Utd left-back set to leave club after more Mourinho criticism

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43451782

16. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Too bad it didnt work out, but he has to take responsibility for his own career. We all watched him through this time and Im sure none of us are suprised by this.

The enxt question is, who is next? The two LB's we've been linked with are Sandro and Gaya lately.

17. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I like Sessegnon myself. But I can't ever see Mou going that route as I'm not sure he's defensively solid enough for a Jose.

benni... repped this.
  19. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Sessegnon will end up going the Bale route and switching to winger full time. He's too weak defensively and too talented going forward to remain at LB.

20. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He's very talented whatever he is position wise.

I miss having productive threatening FBs

21. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sessegnon may be a viable option if he's given time to develop and adapt his defensive game especially to Prem level. With AY signed for another season, he could help in that endeavor and make it happen.
    Would like it personally as well, but also feel it's a given he will probably go for a more finished product and someone with experience at the highest level. Think that a guy like Sandro, as expensive as he may be, ticks the boxes Mourinho would be looking for at that position.

22. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    We have so much investment to make at cb, CM and rb though.

Sandro will eat up far too much of our budget.

23. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    we can't fix everything in one window anyway. just get him now. there aren't that many top class FBs out there.

unless there is one that is younger than him (27). maybe Gayà

24. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It is too late now, but the right move for Shaw, post injury was a 1 year loan with an option for another year.

He will be a very useful player. Not the quality we need to start long term, but a very useful backup or a solid player if we have a world beater on the right. It will probably take a year or two.

jeff070 repped this.
  25. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    LB has to be a priority in the summer along with overhauling our CM. Valencia and TFM in a time share are a sufficient pairing for RB.