Shaw Flank Redemption - The Luke Shaw Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Cevno, Jun 27, 2014.

1. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shaw's good form of late appears to have changed the team's transfer plans (for the time being at least).

www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/man-utd-transfer-news-shaw-14110934

Makes complete sense, given how Shaw has played recently. With the presence and good form of AY as well, we look to be well covered at LB for now.
    Also makes sense that Jose may keep things open as well, but hopefully he can go from strength to strength the remainder of this season and take strides toward making the position his own.

2. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Depends on what our transfer plans are.

If our plan was Rose? Hell yeah

If an upgrade is available now, why not?

3. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just as it would be the case for any position, if an upgrade is possible, then sure why not. Point is, a LB no longer appears to be a priority, as it looked to be just a month ago. And there are still plenty of other positions that need to be tended to.
    Would be amazed if Juve sell Sandro this month anyhow, so he could still be in play this summer, if the need reemerges.

4. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I don't like Rose. There's no point buying a fullback who is a starter w/ a top team in England. The cost of doing business means we could easily get a more important player for the price we could get a LB or RB for. That's just unwise.

MizzouMUFC repped this.
  5. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    The main issue with Rose is he is too injury prone.

6. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    So you think hes good enough?

7. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    For the next 2-3 years, definitely.

8. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
  9. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I would generally agree that he's 'good enough' but I don't think he makes us better. I don't think he's an upgrade on Shaw. If we are going to plonk down cash for a FB we shouldn't, we should get a winger, but if we do get a FB it should at least make the team better.

I think Demi Mitchell is better going forward than Rose is and while he's obviously not good enough defensively, our fullbacks shouldn't have to do a lot of defending.

barroldinho repped this.
  10. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    my issue with shaw remains even when he's playing well: he can't cross for shit. it's infuriating... but that skill can be learned. he's better than i thought at cutting inside and linking up with the lw and lcm tho.

Ashur repped this.
  11. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I actually think he's not as bad a crosser as I first thought. He does cross from terrible positions though. He rarely hits a godawful cross though. Just usually ones that aren't on target as opposed to the one Mkhi hit today that was terribad.

Most encouraging is his desire/ability to overlap. He needs to work on his timing and particularly the whole team (and him) need to work on patience. We seem to want try to ram passes in that aren't on. That makes it hard for players to make secondary runs.

When we aren't flowing, it gets to the point where Romelu will cycle out to the right and just wait for the ball to get to him rather than keep banging his head through the middle. Even Lingard, who is in constant motion will stop trying to run beyond the CBs and just try and hit small gaps in front of them.

If we had more patience, Shaw would have an easier time of choosing when to overlap and as such would get into better crossing positions.

12. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    His crossing is a problem. It's clear by watching him that he doesn't try to pick out a player with his cross. He just hits in crosses in the general direction and hopes someone gets on the end of it. Top players don't do that. Also, he tends to fail at beating the first defender with the cross similar to Tony V.

13. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    My main issue with Shaw is not his crossing, I think earlier in games he has put in good crosses in dangerous areas, my problem is more that as the game goes he gets tired, his up and down slows down and his crosses become labored than automatic. This is normal for someone that hasn't played 3 games in a week.

Mou has to keep showing the faith in him because he is only going to get better from now, only better. When he is on the ball, he is very good, technically he is up there, his first touch is very good, these things are hard to find in defenders.

barroldinho repped this.
  14. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shaw's pace, strength are up there with the best of them. His stamina and especially defensive discipline have improved and continue to do so.
    He's very willing and adept in taking players on, which is another big plus. But the fact remains that his final ball and crosses are still pretty sloppy for the time being: everything he does until then is pretty good and even exciting.
    But he needs to work on his delivery of crosses: it's not looking to knock him just for the sake of doing so or as a nitpick, it's simply a fact.
    And it's not a big deal as it is a flaw he can work and improve on. Hopefully he will do so and we'll see him get better in time.
    He's apparently regained Jose's trust for now, which is already a big accomplishment. Now he can focus on improving his all around game (and that includes his passing in the final third and his crossing of the ball).

15. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    He isnt. Statistically, even in his best spells, he barely averaged 1 dribble per game.

Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10 repped this.
  16. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not speaking about take ons or dribbling from a statistical point of view, but rather in his manner and style of play. He has a very buccaneering, powerful style and is not afraid to go at the opposition on the offensive end....

17. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Whats the difference between taking on and going at the opposition?

18. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, as just mentioned above, I'm referring to his style of play and how he approaches the game.
    I'm not speaking about take ons in the quantifying, statistical term. I can't make it any clearer for you at this point...

19. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    @Ashur means attacking space with pace, and @benni... you are referring to dribbling past players. The only full back that has that level is Marcelo, most do not dribble past players.

20. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Jeff, this is what he said...

He's very willing and adept in taking players on, which is another big plus.

is not afraid to go at the opposition on the offensive end....

If he meant what you think he meant, he can simply say that, and not act like he's too proud to admit he made a mistake.

Also Jeff, im not asking for Marcelo level of beating players and ball carrying. I am asking for any fullback to be able to create space to cross (minimum).

Fullbacks get the most time and space on the ball (and find themselves 1v1 a lot) and it would be nice to have a player who could make the most of those situations.

johno and jeff070 repped this.
  21. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What are you talking about: "too proud of admitting I made a mistake?"
    You took what I said a certain way and decided to keep running with it, even after I explained to you twice what exactly I meant. Not sure what your problem is, but you need to settle down because you're clearly trying to create an issue where there is none...

Shaw is a very aggressive fullback going forward and that is one of his best natural abilities. And one of the elements that sets him apart from many FBs (at least the ones we have currently in this team).
    And if he can hone that part of his game with better passing in the final third (and better crossing), he'd be an even more dangerous/feared player, probably racking up the assists in the process.

22. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    Beating players that will come with confidence. The more he plays, the more confident he is, the more he takes more risk on the ball. The technique on his shots have been impressive, along with his crossing, I think it is about when he will show these qualities rather than if he will.

23. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+