Shaw Flank Redemption - The Luke Shaw Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Cevno, Jun 27, 2014.

1. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39414200

Mourinho talking to BT Sport about Shaw:
    "He has lots of potential but the football brain and the professional brain has to be with the talent. He has to change his football brain. He was doing things in the second half when he was reacting to my voice. If he was on the other side for sure he would not do it. I think he has a future here but Manchester United cannot wait. We need the kids to grow up."

---

Mourinho: "It was Luke Shaw's body with my brain. I made the decisions for him. But his contribution was good."

johno, Gilma1990 and benni... repped this.
  2. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    About Shaw's performance yesterday. It really was not anything special or even really any good. But that being said, he does deserve more opportunities, even on a rotational basis.
    Yesterday, he was mostly involved offensively as United were really pushing for an equalizer and while he was active, his play lacked "precision" and "neatness" for lack of better words.
    But would like to see more of him the rest of the way, if for no other reason, to determine once and for all whether we just need to cut bait and look for a new LB this summer. It's not like any of the other options are clearly head and shoulders above the rest after all...

3. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #428 Ashur, Apr 5, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    Luke Shaw claiming that he will keep fighting until the last second, well because that's what Jose wants from him.

I guess he's okayed that brain transplant op with the Special One. Even if arriving first at Carrington, then being the last to leave and working his tail off in between would be a good start in Jose's eyes, no doubt...

4. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  5. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Professor Brainfart

Dec 23, 2016
    Planet Reality
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I do wish the former players like Keane, Scholes, Rio, Gary and Phil Neville et al knowing fine well how bloody tough it is just to play for Manchester United would engage their brains before giving the press what they desperately want.

7. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Assuming Mou tried privately first, then felt he had no option than to call Shaw out in public am fine with saying something.

Think his recent comments went too far though, if he is not careful can have the reverse effect of people having sympathy for Shaw and can be damaging to team morale if the other players think comments / treatment too harsh.

8. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Mourinho should sign Moreno to finish the job.

Gilma1990 repped this.
  9. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
  10. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    http://www.skysports.com/football/n...urinho-and-gary-neville-on-his-man-utd-career

check it out

11. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like that Shaw is very accepting of (very public) criticism (just like he was with Van Gaal as well), but that being said, we have to hope he gets to the point where he gets it and knows what he has to do as a professional footballer, without having to be chastised about it.
    I get that he's young, has probably been used of things coming easy to him. But as mentioned above, this is the second time since he's been at United he's been called out by his managers this way. Really hoping this was the last time and the light has finally gone off in his head...

12. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
  13. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Shaw was not good for me. But hey.

14. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yesterday was a step in the right direction for Shaw. Still not the player he once was before getting hurt, but he just needs to get some games.
    He's featured very sporadically this season, so fatigue should not be an issue. Steady improvement from game to game is what we need to see from him at this point.

15. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    Exactly. I was surprised that he was praised. For his level, we know he can do better that is why we thought he was meh. For our left backs this season the only performance he was topped by was Darmian's Chelsea game.

Shaw needs to keep playing, and Mou has to let him go forward, that is his strength. Yesterday he needed him to go forward due to the circumstance of the game, but generally he hasn't let him.

If Shaw can play Sunday then Thursday then Sunday, why not? but I would rest this weekend to play him against Citeh.

Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10 repped this.
  16. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jose probably praised him because he recognized he's going to need him and despite his madman tendencies at times, he knows when to push and when to reign it back with the harsh criticism.
    He's hammered Shaw pretty hard, in a very public way and some encouragement is not out of order, especially if Jose is feeling he's at least putting in the effort he requires, which Shaw did...

17. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Shaw was good offensively. Even though his final ball was lacking (other than the one Jesse should've finished) he got into positions that none of our other LBs are capable of getting into because of lack of speed or willingness. It's defensively where he's a gamble to play. He gets caught out of position and giving the attacker too much room way too often.

18. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    Granted I was working while watching, but I cannot remember Anderlecht sniffing Shaw's side until the end of the game where he got tired, even then the crosses that came in was the lack of pressure from Martial.

I would not mind trying Lingard on the left to assist Shaw in games where teams bunker down that side.

I'd like to see this next year:

Lingard
    Pogba
    Saul
    Mkhitaryan

Martial
    Rashford

19. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like a lack of discipline, which jives well with his overall personality in a way. The good news is that it can be taught to him, as long as he applies himself. Rotating the rest of the way is going to be important, so I don't want him necessarily to start every game going forward, but at least a game a week is what he needs, in order to get some rhythm back and something for him to build upon in the summer and going into next season

20. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    I thought he grew into the game fairly well. I think he will continue to get better on the offensive side as he plays more.

21. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
  22. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Says he with his wife probably just a few feet away. Open marriage? ;)

23. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    No. I just talk macho. :oops:

Plus, I'm at work.

Ashur repped this.