Shaw Flank Redemption - The Luke Shaw Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Cevno, Jun 27, 2014.

1. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That clearly seems to be a concern of his, since him being caught out of position so frequently earlier in the season was a problem for Jose. Hopefully with time and with his confidence having fully returned, he will learn to balance the offensive part of his game with his defensive duties.
    His pace and power going forward are among the elements that make him special in the first place.

2. Gilma1990

Gilma1990 Member+

Jul 30, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he didn't go down last season, we would've finished top 4

3. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Or instructed? That's my hunch.

jeff070 and MizzouMUFC repped this.
  4. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #379 Ashur, Mar 4, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
    I certainly don't think it was down to him, but sure... And yes, I remember how excellent he was as well. Our problems were much bigger than losing Shaw last season. The attack for starters was pretty toothless and lacked creativity. The fact that Martial was our most potent player (even though he had an excellent season) spoke volume about our problems upfront.

5. jnielsen

jnielsen Member+

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think that Luke has permanently lost a little pace due to his injury. It has affected his confidence. However, I think he is still an excellent LB. He just needs to adjust his game to his new abilities, learn the differences in positioning required, and he will be fine. But, he needs to play more in order to learn.

Gilma1990 repped this.
  6. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    All great points. As serious as we all knew the injury was, he still wasn't mentally and physically fit when the season began.

He performed well against Bournemouth but what I noticed his willingness to put himself at risk going into tackles. There were two or three hard challenges he went into I don't think he would have been willing to go into earlier in the season.

7. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to reports, Shaw is winning over Jose thru his work ethic and his progression in his recovery from his broken leg. And there definitely will be no plans in selling him or getting a new starting LB. And by the summer, in all likelyhood, Shaw should be back being the team's uncontested starting LB and Jose is backing him completely at this point.
    He didn't take him to Russia as he's ramping up his playing time as he's getting back to full fitness again. To be perfectly honest, with the state of the pitch as it appears to be, it's probably a blessing anyway.

8. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would like to think those reports are true but F.U.C.K. the English media. Two weeks ago Mourinho was ready to ship him out because of bad training habits and poor attitude. They also said the same thing about Miki and Martial when they went through their Mourinho treatment. They really haven't a clue.

9. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    and yet so many people including on here buy into it mindlessly time and again and spiral into panic

10. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jose made it very clear last month that he had absolutely no intentions on selling Shaw. He was very emphatic and unequivocal about it. Something he has no reason to lie about, so unless completely unforeseen were to happen, it's fair to say it's really not something we should worry about anymore...

11. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  12. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty clear those were his intentions. Certainly wasn't calling him up based on performance.

13. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    i don't see how publicly announcing that helps to achieve that goal

J'can repped this.
  14. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As good a reason to do so in my opinion. He especially can do so with the reduced options available to him in that position. But it shows just good sense from Southgate as well, precisely because Shaw right now could probably use the boost in confidence as well.

15. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  16. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  17. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Good riddance.

Gilma1990 repped this.
  18. Gnome

Gnome Member+

Nov 5, 2013
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Jose needs to go.

Gilma1990 repped this.
  19. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jose's comments about Shaw are making the rounds among all top publications (Beeb, Skysports, ESPN among others).
    It definitely doesn't look, especially Jose's claims about his work ethic are true. And the only situation losing Shaw would be acceptable to me would be if we bring in someone of equal or superior talent. And those guys don't run the streets.
    On the one hand that has all the earmarks in some way of the issues earlier in the season with Miki and Martial, and hopefully this would all blow over and is not as big/bad as it's made out to be. On the other hand, this is looking like Lukaku/KDB at Chelsea and leading toward his exit at the end of the season, only to flourish elsewhere.

20. Gilma1990

Gilma1990 Member+

Jul 30, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're going to regret letting Shaw go

21. kilongo

kilongo Member

Jul 22, 2016
    can anyone help me please with luke shaw's injury record

22. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    kilongo and Gilma1990 repped this.
  23. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Grounds to be pissed at both of them - Mou for not giving Shaw many chances to play himself into form and Luke for taking the money and not showing up in training and not looking after his fitness (LVG fell out with him over this too).

Players have all the power these days, if Shaw has decided he wants to go to London and play for Poch then not much option but to get rid (at the right price).

24. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
  25. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica