Shaw Flank Redemption - The Luke Shaw Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Cevno, Jun 27, 2014.

1. incighte

incighte Red Card

May 1, 2016
    shaw is already one of the best. i can't think of anyone i rate as highly. marcelo is one shout, but i have to keep in mind that he plays in loliga, where defense is optional and tackling is touching.

2. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still early under Mourinho's tutelage, so to speak, so we can expect Shaw to progress even more as the season goes along.
    And that's even before taking into account that his partnership with Martial is still a work in progress. Not as seamless as it was with Depay, but once tey've perfected that understanding, it will no doubt benefit both players and the team, that much more.

3. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marcelo is coming off a great couple of seasons and he's one of the best LBs in the game, yet I still have Alaba ahead at this time. Guys like Rodriguez and Alba to follow.
    Shaw has been out for a long time and even though he's come back very strong, obviously, I want to see if he can maintain that level at least for most of the season and if he does, there is no question he could be genuinely considered as the best LB in football.

4. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    He needs to work on his ball striking. His crossing needs work but his shooting is also not up to par. He needs to move better as well. He's good at overlapping, he needs to know when to make incisive runs that put him in shooting positions.

Invincible repped this.
  5. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It's a good bet by the end of October we'll be hearing "best left back in the world" with reference to Shaw.

7. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Not that soon. Hes still got a few years of proving, and in big games, before saying anything like that.

thenamestsam repped this.
  8. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #333 Ashur, Sep 2, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
    As well as Shaw has done since his return so far, he will need to show the same type of consistence or thereabouts for an extended period of time (practically for the season at least) before he can be truly be spoken in the same way as the best LBs in the game currently, guys like Alaba, Rodriguez and Marcelo. And yes, it's absolutely possible that in time, he could surpass all 3 players as well...

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  9. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    "Years"???

Shaw has already proved himself to be one of the best left backs in the world before the injury. The injury is a fact but he's come back very well so far. If October seems too early to rush to that kind of judgment, fine, but if he stays free from injury this season we'll be having this conversation by the Christmas holidays at the latest.

10. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Years is accurate. Alaba and too some extent, depending on your beliefs in La Liga defending, Marcelo, have been doing it for years.

Invincible repped this.
  11. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'll grant you Alaba but not Marcelo.

Without question it all has to be proven and, without question, Mourinho's tactics have to allow Shaw to flourish as a complete and not just defensive fullback. It remains to be seen whether that will be the case.

12. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Shaw becomes as good of a player as Alaba is now, he will have done well for himself. I have higher expectations of him than that, but he isn't quite up to par with Alaba yet.

14. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yes, years.

Alaba, Alba, Marcelo have all been doing it for years now. And at the highest levels.

Shaw has barely played in the CL, let alone proven it time and again against the best. Hes got the potential. But he's not there yet.

15. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  16. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    http://www.skysports.com/football/n...ng-to-sell-any-disgruntled-man-united-players

17. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
  18. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

:ROFLMAO:

Any other good betting tips for us?

Playboy Red Devil and benni... repped this.
  19. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Great catch, James.

Most of us assumed that when Shaw returned to duty that he had, in fact, recovered physically and mentally from his injury last season.

Shaw chasn't fully recovered his injury last season, at least not mentally. The nature of the injury was such that even though there was some speculation that he might be able to play for England during the Euros he just wasn't fit to play. When club duty came around it was evident that Shaw was working hard but hadn't reached the kind of fitness that Jose expected.

It's easy for us posters to talk about how soon an athlete should recover from an ACL injury or a fractured ankle but unless you've gone through it yourself you just don't know. I've torn my ACL but I've never suffered anything like a fractured leg.

Upon his return Shaw just didn't show the explosiveness that he showed in the month before the injury. And anything like the form he showed for Southampton.

He may be physically fit now (not sure, maybe he isn't), but he's not mentally back to the place where he can push his body to its physical limits, which is how he played before Moreno. On that very play he made a fantastic run into the box (shoulda been called a pk and a red card but it wasn't even called a foul). You couldn't imagine him doing that now and you certainly don't see that kind of run from most fullbacks in the league.

Jose has done exactly the right thing by pulling Shaw off the pitch, giving Shaw more time to complete his psychological recovery from a very serious and incredibly painful injury. Most of us thought 12 months would be sufficient to recover physically and mentally from a double leg fracture. But it wasn't.

There may be more to it than just that. It may be that Luke Shaw has an attitude problem, as has been reported at times by the British media. We can't know whether that's true or not.

What we do know is that Shaw was sensational before the injury. We know it took longer than expected for Shaw to physically recover from the injury. We know that Shaw did not look fully fit when he was deemed fully fit to play. It seems reasonable to believe that Shaw has not fully mentally recovered from the injury.

Internet hard men like you can joke about high expectations for professional athletes who show incredible form before a serious but the crime of having high expectations for Luke Shaw, who showed top class stuff before Moreno got through with him is one that I proudly stand guilty of. Maybe Shaw is done for good or maybe he's on the brink of returning to sensational form. We don't know, but for there's nothing wrong in expecting him to return to that kind of form. If that offends you, so be it.

20. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Shaw wasn't the best lb in the world before the injury. There is zero reason to believe he would suddenly become that player within 3 months of a new campaign, following such a big injury.

I'm not offended. I'm not an internet hard man.

I just call you out on your ridiculous and asinine predictions.

21. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Besides who says Shaw hasn't gotten over his injury mentally. No one from the club has even indirectly implied that.

It was made up bullshit to justify a stupid pointless short sighted return for PatriceEvra.

22. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #347 Ashur, Jan 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    The idea of bringing in Evra had nothing to do with helping Shaw in any type of recovery, be it physical or mental. But that's neither here nor there at this point...
    The biggest hurdle to Shaw's recovery always appeared to be physical, even if he's done very well to come back fairly quickly from his broken leg. But as we've seen before with players who have suffered similar types of injuries, it does a lot longer than a year to fully return to the player they were before.
    It's been 17mos now since Shaw broke his leg and we can fully expect to see lots of improvement in his game the rest of the season.

23. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Shaw is done. Flip him.

Gilma1990 repped this.
  24. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Shaw is 21. Give him time.

Futbol_Head and jnielsen repped this.
  25. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'm glad to know you act like an adult here.