The Lost Weekend: Spurs vs. Everton, EPL, Jan 13th

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Phillyspur, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    There seemed to be some doubt about whether this game was televised, certainly not in the Philly area as an Eagles pre-game show took precedence. So I for one got on with my life and waited for phone updates.

Son scored in his 5th straight home game, apparently only the 2nd Spurs player after Defoe to do so.

Kane got 2, and surpassed the Right Honorable Edward Sheringham as our all time premier league scorer.

And Eriksen capped it off with an absolute peach of a team goal.

https://www.clippituser.tv/c/mlrada

We are now 5 points clear in 5th, but only 3 points behind the 3-way tie 2nd-4th. And Arsenal lost! Life is pretty, pretty good.

2. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was on NBCSN. And BEIN, I think, or something else. Took me until about halftime to get a stable stream.

First half was good, Spurs in control.

Second half was a training match, and I would not have been surprise if Spurs had put 6 or 7 in the net.

Alas, I was up early doing some volunteer work (and freezing my ass off) and fell asleep before Eriksen scored.

3. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dembele probly had his best match of the season, IMO. shielded the backline particularly well. both CBs were solid. aurier was decent, had one nice assist on Sons goal, and started the attack on the 4th.

Kane of course was very good with a double, but Son was MOTM. scored, assisted, hit the post on another, and had Dele had any touch in the box, woulda had another assist

Dele was good everywhere except in the box. nice heel flick to lead to Eriksens goal, that was just at the edge of the box. but Dele had about 3 or 4 excellent chances to score in the match and messed them all up

Rooney had a goal disallowed for offside on a set piece in the first half, and everton had maybe 2 or 3 forays into their final 3rd in the first half

never felt like Everton made any threat at all in 2nd half.

4. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    What a difference when we have that Dembélé-Wanyama-Dier (pick any 2 of 3) axis in central midfield, compared to Dier-Sissoko! They are a great platform for the attacking players, drive the team forward and seldom give the ball away, which means our back 4 or 3 are rarely exposed. I have given Dier a lot of stick this season for his poor passing, but what a peach of a ball for Kane's second!

And to think we were close to selling Son after his first season with us is! Imagine where we would have been the last 3 seasons without his contribution.

Again, the PL is often not about WHO you play, but WHEN. If this fixture had come around a month ago, it might have been very difficult. But it looks like Big Sam crumbled to the pressure from the Everton management and support to play "entertaining football" and picked a side that was ripe to be rolled over at Wembley. I guess they were more entertaining when they were shipping goals and struggling in the relegation zone...

I don't know what was more enjoyable, our performance on Saturday or the shambolic goings on down Woolwich way.

5. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy crap was that awesome. I had to watch the replay to really believe it was Dier.

Also, I noticed there were different passing options used, some longer balls, control with the back to the goal, and passing to a overlapping player. Saw several different variations of this, and that was new to me. Perhaps a way Poch has worked out to break the press.

6. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That turn from Son is absolutely filthy.

10. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    on the first goal, notice the run Son makes before the Eriksen pass

11. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010