Review: The lost talents thread: Players who did not realize their potential

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Epitome990, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Patrick Herrmann probably could of had a more prominent career if it wasn't for injuries. The 2011/12 season at Gladbach where him, Marco Reus, and the now Russian Roman Neustädter tore up the league was fun to watch.

dips82, MatthausSammer and Ger90 repped this.
  2. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Vintage Lewis Holtby:

With Schürrle at Mainz

Schalke

Ger90 repped this.
  3. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    lol about Neustadter playing for Russia, well here's hoping he makes the WC squad.

thing about youth scoring, sometimes it's the team around a player that allows them to do better or score freely rather than their actual skills. It's why I find a lot of them excluding being injured ruining their careers need to show actual skill and the ones that do, usually are more likely to make it.

Epitome990 repped this.
  4. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Yep, Neustädter and Hannover's Konstantin Rausch are both representing Russia now. They might actually make it for the WC.

Ger90 repped this.
  5. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    More about Alexander "The Great" Merkel:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Merkel

International career
    Merkel made his international debut for Germany U-15 in a 4–1 win against Switzerland and has since represented Germany at all levels of youth international football up to under-19. In a December 2010 interview, he stated that he "dreams" of going on to play for the senior team one day.[5]

In another December 2010 interview he said that he is interested in representing Russia.[23]Russian Football Union president Sergey Fursenko and Russia's coach Dick Advocaat both commented saying that he can't be called up as he does not actually possess Russian citizenship. Merkel noted that naturalization should not be a problem, considering that an American-born Jon Robert Holden played for the Russia national basketball team.[24]

In February 2011, Merkel's adviser Arthur Beck, father of German international Andreas Beck, confirmed the player's renewed wishes to be capped for Germany.[25]

In March 2015, Merkel decided to play for Kazakhstan national football team.[26] He made his debut against Iceland in a qualifying match for Euro 2016.

Ger90 repped this.
  6. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    another in terms of NT Bernd Schuster, only played in the 1980 EC win. Retired from the NT at the age of 24 because of a disagreements of sorts.

Epitome990 repped this.
  7. Raumdeuter

Raumdeuter Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #32 Raumdeuter, Nov 7, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    memories

At some time I thought Benny Lauth was a legit talent.

This reminded me of a time I was young around 2003 after Bayern got knocked out of the CL, I was sending an email to Bayern thinking it will ever get to the FO and the list of transfer I suggested then was Hatem Trabelsi, Andreas Hinkel, Jaap stam,Hitzlsperger, Andres d allessandro, Kevin Kuranyi, Benjamin Lauth,Carlos Tevez, Pablo Aimar, Adrian Mutu, Makelele, Olivier dacourt.

I also said Bayern should promote and integrate Schweinsteiger and Trochowski

The bold were the Germans who fit this thread

Ger90 repped this.
  8. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Seems like a bunch of former Stuttgart players like Hinkel, Hitzlsperger, Tasci, and Timo Hildebrand had their careers fall off when they left the Bundesliga to go abroad.

Aaron Hunt had his most productive seasons with Werder and a pretty solid player up until 2014. But unfortunately he went to Wolfsburg and things didn't work out and hasn't rebounded since then.

Ger90 repped this.
  9. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
  10. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Ger90 repped this.
  11. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Wonder if Donis Avdijaj is the next to go on this list. Schalke don't have him in their plans, and he was unable to find a new club. The three players from the '96 age group who have disappointed the most are Avdijaj, Sinan Kurt, and Devante Parker.

Dage and Ger90 repped this.
  12. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
  13. Jordan Khamra

Jordan Khamra Member

May 21, 2014
    For me it is Naki, Lasgogga, Yezil, Polanksi (before he switched) Benjamin Lauth, Andreas Hinkel & Jan Schaldurf . I thought Lars Ricken, Deisler, Goetze, Mario Basler, Macro Marin and Piotr Trochowski could be among the World's best so I add them to my list.

14. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    got dumped by Bochum and joined Austrian club FC Admira Wacker, lol.

attitude problems?

15. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    First thought of mine was Götze
    Injuries and illness have ruined a lot for him sadly

16. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    already brought up but
    5 PLAYERS WHO COULD HAVE BEEN WORLD CLASS HAD IT NOT BEEN FOR INJURIES

SEBASTIAN DEISLER
    He was the chosen one. The player who was going to help Germany rise up from the disappointment of Euro 2000. He was nicknamed “Das Supertalent” and many tipped him to be a mainstay in the national team for the next decade.

His performances for Borussia Mönchengladbach during the 1998/99 saw most of Europe’s elite vying for his signature when it was confirmed the Bundesliga side had been relegated. Rumour has it that 26 clubs made an offer for the 19-year-old.

In the end he opted to join Hertha Berlin and play Champions League football. A cruciate ligament rupture plagued his first season in the German capital and then he missed the majority of the 2001/02 season after tearing a synovial membrane in his right knee in the October.

Deisler moved to Bayern Munich in the summer of 2002 but arrived in Bavaria injured having had another operation on his knee in the May. During his five full season with the German giants he made just 62 Bundesliga appearances due to various knee injuries as well as mental fatigue caused by the stress.

He eventually retired at the age of 27 having made just the 176 appearances in nine seasons as a professional.
    http://www.footballwhispers.com/blo...ies?utm_medium=affiliates&utm_source=news-now

17. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    In the summer of 2002, I was visiting Dachau with my family, and saw Deisler there by himself. He was quietly reading all of the plaques while on crutches. No fans tried to talk to him or anything as that would have been extremely inappropriate given the setting.

It left a positive impression on me as to the type of person he was that he would be there while re-rehabilitating from an injury.

Ger90 repped this.
  18. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Ger90 repped this.
  19. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    lol China, would rather seem him in Serbia than China. One of the biggest waste of a player in recent times.

20. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Eh, he was never anything more than a dribbler. No ideas for the final third and his speed wasn't even elite. His dribbling & the hunt for the german-Messi overhyped him from the beginning, and at best he could've become the german-Lavezzi

21. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Similar limitations in Amin Younes' game. Mixed in with some awful unprofessionalism in his breakup with Ajax.

The Chelsea move killed Marin's career though. Along with the consecutive loan moves for 4 straight season afterwards. Going to a worse scenario each time. Back in the day, he was an entertaining enough player in the BL.

Rosebud repped this.
  22. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  23. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    After spending the final half of last season in the Ösi Liga, Alexander (The Great) Merkel will be leaving Admira Wacker to embark on another new adventure. He actually didn't appear to be that bad over there, and the club finished in 5th place, just outside of the Europa league qualifiers range.

Wonder where he's off to next. Guess he's kinda like the German-Kazakh Freddy Adu. He's already been at 9 clubs altogether now in his career.

24. snahdog

snahdog Member

Mar 31, 2006
    Atlanta
    Sahr Senesie was a young guy playing in the Bundesliga, then really fell off the radar. Misimovic was very talented but didn't do much after he left the Bundesliga (still got a lot of caps for Bosnia).

25. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Savio Nsereko had been let go by Bulgarian giants, FK Vereya Stara Zagora. The 15th club in his career, and still 28 years old.