The Lions Thread

Discussion in 'Rugby & Aussie Rules' started by comme, May 18, 2005.

1. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Ok the Lions tour is starting soon so I thought it was high time a thread was started.

They get under way on Monday night at the Millenium stadium against Argentina as a warm up for the tour of New Zealand. This is the first time the lions have ever played in Great Britain and should be a fantastic send off for a memorable tour.

http://www.skysports.com/skysports/article/0,,1-1182349,00.html

2. BhoysFC1995

BhoysFC1995 New Member

Nov 30, 1999
    NYC
    any predictions for the all blacks game?

3. hiddink_magic

hiddink_magic New Member

Feb 27, 2003
    Wendouree
    England would be too strong for NZ.

4. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    At soccer, I hope you mean. Because it's not rugby.

5. PsychedelicCeltic

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    It's not the first time the Lions have played in Britain. They have played six before, thrice in Cardiff. In 1950, they beat Cardiff rugby club 14-12 in a match to celebrate 75 years of Cardiff rugby. In 1955 they played Wales and won 23-14. In 1977 they played the Barbarians at Twickenham and won 23-14 again. In 1986 they lost to the Rest of the World 7-15 in Cardiff, probably the only match where a pukka Lions XV actually played. They beat France at Parc des Princes in 1989 in a match for the bicentennional of the French Revolution.

Not surprisingly they chose this match for Cardiff as well.

6. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Really alot was written when the game was announced about it being against all that the Lions is about.

Cheers for the info.

7. King Rooney

King Rooney New Member

Jul 29, 2004
    Leicester
    Neil Back is suspended for punching some guy from Wasps in the Premiership final

8. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Back punched Joe Worsely, his England and Lions back row team mate.

Absolutely stupid punch, in a nothing situation and born out of frustration at Leicester playing so badly.

I'm actually quite pleased Back is banned, as it lessens the chance of Sir Clive picking him ahead of Martyn Williams. Nugget was the best player for the Blues this season and the best in the Six nations, if he doesn't start it will be a travesty.

9. Euskadi

Euskadi New Member

Aug 17, 2001
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Any word on if the Argentina-Lions match will be televised on either television or the internet?

10. PsychedelicCeltic

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    Don't think so, brutha. Santa ain't carrying it, and I think Sky refuses to release online radio rights so it might not even be on BBC Wales radio.

11. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    should be fun to watch. no predicitons for me because I know nada about rugby.

12. PsychedelicCeltic

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    Lions 32 Argentina 15.

Shane Williams scores twice and accenuates why he should be the left-wing in any Lions Test team.

13. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    The Lions should win as this is Argentina's second string, I'm not sure how comfortable it will be though. I think the most interesting area will be the front 5, if the Lions pack gives the backs a platform then it will be a good game to watch.

14. PsychedelicCeltic

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    British Lions 0-13 Argentina.

The English are stinking up the joint..

15. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    salvaged a 25-25 draw on the last kick, wow.

can someone put a [R] in the thread title. People in the states might be taping these games to watch at a more normal hour.

16. halfnelson31

halfnelson31 New Member

Jul 23, 2002
    NOVA
    uhhh no were not taping it cuz its not ********ing availble...srry im just really pissed the 6nations was on uknova but not the lions!?!?

17. PsychedelicCeltic

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    This game was not on US television.

18. halfnelson31

halfnelson31 New Member

Jul 23, 2002
    NOVA
    i know ********in pathetic and i think fox soccer channel has the rights to it too since it is broadcasted on sky. I mean soccer seasons over and this is the biggest sporting event of the summer in my opinion.

19. halfnelson31

halfnelson31 New Member

Jul 23, 2002
    NOVA
    never mind i just saw its on FSC...on 3 DAY DELAY...i mean come on they are the only outlet in America (that i know of) to be showing the matches and they pull this stupid ********?

20. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    i know this one wasn't, but the Test matches are on Setanta (i'm guessing special event) so if people have the bar tape the game to watch later (which i've seen with football games) then they wouldn't want to be screwed out of the results

21. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    they did that for the World Cup, it blew.

22. PsychedelicCeltic

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    I know rugby got crap ratings on Fox (in large part because they moved it so often) but you cannot possibly tell me that a rerun of Argentinian soccer will get higher ratings.

23. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    i was talking about the test matches as opposed to this one.

are the matches against the Kiwi club sides going to be on Setanta?

24. PsychedelicCeltic

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    Provinces, not clubs.

And yeah, they are going to be on the Setanta TV channel. The first and third Tests will be on PPV, with the second test on Setanta's TV channel.

25. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    This was quite a strange match I thought.

Wilkinson played very well, he actually looked a dynamic runner and like he could be more of an attacking threat. His kicking out of hand was not great but his goal kicking was superb as usual.

The others I thought had a decent game were Shane Byrne, Shane Williams, Cussiter and Ollie Smith. The forwards were quite poor, and let the Pumas dictate the game.

Still this was the third choice team, so it shouldn't be too worrying.