Spaghetti Weston: McKennie at Juventus

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by hokeydokey, Jul 7, 2016.

1. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am sure you know that players are not cattle, you just can't sell them to someplace they don't want to go.

The sad fact is that Bayern is at the top of the food chain in the BuLi and most players want to play there for very obvious reasons. We lost Goretzka to Bayern despite offering Leon more money and a longer term deal. We lost Nubel despite making him our #1 before he had clearly earned it, our Captain, and a very lucrative long term deal.

I don't believe there is anything else we could have done. This is just life in the BuLi

tomásbernal, striker and Dr.Phil repped this.
  2. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gelsenkirchen or Munich...

3. run_it_out

run_it_out Member+

Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 19, 2018
    You're joking, but of course in the US, players often are treated like cattle. Don't want to move to Cleveland? Tough, we just traded you for a 19 year old in single A.

ArsenalMetro repped this.
  4. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    Yeah but when your agent tells you that you can eventually make millions and millions, who really cares if you suffer in Cleveland for 6 months. You can afford to fly wherever you want during breaks and live wherever you want in the off-season.

5. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is great news:

https://soccer.nbcsports.com/2020/0...to-schalke-training-february-return-expected/

Looks like Weston is training with the team in Spain and it sounds like he is ahead of schedule. Particularly like this sentence:

McKennie isn’t only participating in individual drills, but he is also involved in the majority of full training with the rest of his teammates with the exception of tackling.

Seems like he will be back in Feb... and it looks more and more like it will be early in the month.

Woodrow, edcrocker, gunnerfan7 and 10 others repped this.
  6. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

7. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Behind the paywall. Was their any update on a specific date of return? Last I heard he was in full training outside of tackling exercises. They initially said Feb... but I think he came back a bit early after tweaking his ankle while with the USMNT... oddly enough... you may recall that that injury also came on a header attempt. Literally itching for this weekend so that I can watch the US Intls in the Bundesliga and AJAX. If Weston has made a miraculous recovery then my wait is shortened by a day as Schalke play on Friday.

8. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LouisianaViking07/09 and Winoman repped this.
  9. nikeboots

nikeboots Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Ohio/Oklahoma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems like a good guy to have on your team, both personality and skill wise.

“Nobody wants to play out of position but I kind of had to,” he says. “The team had all centre-backs out injured, and I was the only guy who knew to play there. I couldn’t be selfish. Hopefully, the guys will come back in the second half of the season.”

Does he sometimes fear this adaptability will count against him in the long run, or is the exposure to different roles ultimately beneficial for his development?

“It’s both. You have your James Milners of the world who still play for top clubs and play many positions as well. He’s a workhorse, and that’s kind of how I am. I’m a workhorse. Teams look at you say, ‘OK, he can play many positions. He is a utility player.’ That’s good, of course. The downside is that you don’t want to be the guy who’s there to fill positions for others when there’s a need. I might be good at many positions but I want to be great at one. I want to be the guy who’s playing because I’m the best in my position.”

10. hype25

hype25 Member

Jul 17, 2016
    I think they said it was looking more like end of January/beginning of February.

11. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope so. Pretty sure they initially said out until February.... but end of January isn't that much of a stretch. Would be surprised if he played on Friday... but you never know.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  12. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Schalke and Wes really needs to make up their mind with Wes. This uncertainty is unforgivable and could even damage his career. They really need to be on the same page.

Is he a work horse or a little tank?

13. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    That is how the season started, but injuries have made a huge impact on the squad. What do you expect them to do when all of their center backs are out? Wes is next up. It wasn't in the plans for him to play there, but shit happens.

14. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah... there was talk about this before the season even started and Wes was playing a more offensive-minded role right out of the gate... but when two CDs went down they just plugged in the guy they trusted the most to get them thru the tough times. I hope they have found a couple of guys that can play the position so that Wes can move back up front. Unfortunately, Wes plays hard and is sitting on 4 yellows... so he is going to get another 10+ day break shortly after he returns.

15. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    True.

To the recent point, Schalke really do need to do some shopping this January in order for McKennie to be able to comfortably focus on a role in the center of the park. They are similarly light on the wings and up top, so hopefully they beef up the roster so that Wes can settle in to the midfield for good. The form he showed there at the beginning of the season was spectacular.

16. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I just want to know what to call him.

He says he's a work horse.

They say he's a little tank.

Who should we believe?

LouisianaViking07/09 and Dr.Phil repped this.
  17. dd601

dd601 Member

Oct 21, 2004
    yellows get reset, no?

18. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have tried to find documentation on this before and have yet to find it. I know it resets after the season... but I don't think it does after the winter break.... but that is just my initial guess. We will certainly find out soon....

19. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    "Tank" and "work horse" can be complimentary terms (in two different senses). Both seem to imply a central player who can dominate games with physical presence. I think there is more to Wes' game than just physicality, but he certainly isn't a creative type, a slick passing type, a burner type, or a strictly defensive type. Even though he hasn't nailed down an exact role, it seems pretty clear that he belongs somewhere around the 8.

20. DMTerp02

DMTerp02 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Annapolis, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's had a few super human recoveries in the past. Basically healed from that broken foot/lower leg thing in half the time, and I've seen photos of him training, just not sure if alone or with the team.

21. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Based upon his response to these two questions I can tell he has a bright future in broadcasting and/or management if he wants.

22. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    He's our Wolverine.

23. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Considering his time in Kaiserslautern was he ever interested in signing for 1FCK or them signing him?
    Was Schalke the only club chasing him?

24. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I posted on the 6th that he was in full participation with the team outside of tackling exercises... so that was about 10 days ago. He is probably at the point where he could play but there is still an extra risk of aggravating it. Just an educated guess though. You an several others have noted correctly that he has returned quicker from injury than previously thought possible before. Playing tomorrow would be awesome, but again, it would surprise me.

25. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States