Spaghetti Weston: McKennie at Juventus

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by hokeydokey, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Blame biology that never had a better idea for animals that had to swing from branch to branch.

2. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For context, he both mistimed his jump and jumped forward toward the attacker, who then put an arm out to defend himself, causing the upper half of WM's body to be pushed backward while the lower half continued its forward momentum. Dumb move on a simple play; reminds me of a Man U preseason game in the states some years back where Nani dribbled the entirety of some MLS team's scrub defense only to get hacked down. I don't remember if he got the call or not but I do remember Sir Alex was FURIOUS because if you play stupid games you sadly get stupid prizes. WM is often overly aggressive, often to his detriment. I'm gutted for him obviously but to have longevity in his brutal profession, you've got to be both clever and good...with a good amount of luck thrown in for good measure

frankburgers, striker and TimB4Last repped this.
  3. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Wagner update
    -no surgery needed
    -out until Feb

seems like half of his out time will basically be Winter break.

4. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    whew

5. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is fantastic news. That is two injuries on header attempts over the last several months. One has to wonder if it will be in the back of his mind when he returns? At that point in the field and that point of the game it was a completely unnecessary attempt... Perhaps the coaches will discuss with him... but you don't want him to lose his aggressive streak.

6. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    All I want for Christmas is Wes in bubble wrap.

USSoccerNova and Winoman repped this.
  7. Bite o' the Cherry

Charlotte FC
    United States
    May 3, 2006
    Charlotte, NC, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...and Tyler, and Timothy, and Christian, and John, and Serginho, and and and

Deeneaus, Gacm32, wixson7 and 2 others repped this.
  8. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    That was a bad attempt by McKennie. No two ways about it. Should have been called for a foul.

frankburgers repped this.
  9. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Did seem a tad careless to my untrained eye... perhaps even reckless...

10. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The good thing is that Schalke is already trending down, so they're more likely to miss him.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  11. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to dust this one off from March^^^^^.

It's Weston's 3rd significant injury in 3 years, each resulting from a play where he went hard into a challenge in an unbalanced manner; either lunging out or jumping in laterally.

I hope he learns, I know some of the other posters here feel like he's not progressing but I think he's still a huge talent for his age, playing positions where 21 year olds usually don't get time (I also think this year he's getting experience on the back line because at 26 Mascarell reads the game better and playing on the back line will make WM a better 6, where Schalke sees him as their future).

frankburgers, freisland and Winoman repped this.
  12. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Our second best & most consistent player during the darkest hours. Brooks is the third.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  13. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    While he may be a huge talent for his age, not cementing a position will limit his ceiling IMO. He can't continue to be a jack of all trades if he wants to be a great player. He's said so himself.

14. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    We'll see, but I'm not sure he is a "great" talent in any single position. I feel like his utility is he greatest strength. Whether that gets you into the Pantheon, I don't know, but it's likely to keep you employed.

y-lee-coyote and striker repped this.
  15. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is silly.

Weston has played CB because our top 3 CBs are all out injured. Our 5th CB is a 22yo with zero minutes of BuLi experience.

Deeneaus repped this.
  16. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    Side note. Kabak is really really good.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  17. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, the 4th CB. Yes sir. 19yo, athletic, very skilled, aggressive, tactically mature, and mentally tough.

18. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I'd say Kabak is their best defender. Hard to believe how young he is.

19. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Söyüncü at Leicester City is only 23. Turkey have some nice young CB talents

striker and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  20. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since he is still only 21 I can kind of see the argument that being able to get a different perspective by being able to play multiple positions could be of some benefit but I too am positive that unless he settles somewhere that his ceiling will in fact be limited. Even when he is playing D you can see that he wants to get forward. I heard an interview on Sirius where he says he wants to settle at attacking midfield. Only through consistent repetition will he be able to become an effective offensive threat. I like his aggression and the ability to help out on D but I don't think of him as a defending player... I don't even really like him a CDM. I keep coming back to how well he played when he was allowed to be a terrier up front on the high press and how it gave the Leipzig backline fits for the 1st 3/4 of the game before he was pulled back. I want to see him either at winger or wide-midfield.... whichever one... just keep him there and let me see if he can become a legit offensive force.

21. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    He does not have the touch/vision to be a great "pure" AM.

He has many attributes that could make him a really exception B2B/2way/"regular" midfielder.

striker repped this.
  22. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While there is one poster who regularly pooh poohs his play, I can't think of anyone who thinks he's not progressing. Though, to be fair, he needs to learn from this injury how to be aggressive and yet avoid doing things that have the highest likelihood of causing injury to himself.

TCS35, Deeneaus and DHC1 repped this.
  23. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Hopefully Dave W does him a solid and gives him a permanent spot in a fixed role for the team. Yes, being able to learn many duties is good, but as anyone who's been through that knows, it's also very risky. It means you're not really part of the core of your team, and can be left out when everybody else is doing ok in their spot.

mace repped this.
  24. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I don't think I pooh pooh, but I'm not totally blown away by Weston. But I would LOVE to be wrong!

striker and Excellency repped this.
  25. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    Lol he’s the best defender at Schalke. Not the 4th cb. He’s way more talented than any cb in their roster.