Spaghetti Weston: McKennie at Juventus

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by hokeydokey, Jul 7, 2016.

1. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Because Canada only had one game during the last international break, so he got back to Munich a week ago.

If I'm being condescending, it's because you don't seem to know what you're talking about. You're sure confident in your ignorance though, I'll give you that.

McKennie has started 7 of 12 Bundesliga games this season (58%), missing two games due to injury. Last season, he started 19 of 34 (56%), missing seven games due to injury.

So no, he has not "been on the bench more often than normal."

2. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We will see going forward... I hope you are right and I am wrong. But you are certainly arrogant. How does the ignore button work? Oops... showing my ignorance again.

EDIT- BTW... is 58% of starts what we are really looking for from Weston?

Bite o' the Cherry repped this.
  3. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

4. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gives me a chance to stop watching the Fortuna/Bayern lopsided bashing.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  5. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Played pretty well coming in as a sub... replacing the forward Uth. He had a couple of good runs but did not get the crucial pass. He is so good in the air... I wish he could get a bit more time playing up front so he can get a chance on some swing in passes. Played well defensively and had one long ball pass that the forward just got muscled off at the last second. Good showing.

Suyuntuy and sXeWesley repped this.
  6. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Pretty much. I'm left with the feeling that he's easily replaceable, though.

7. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    If worse came to worst, I'm sure he'd just be a super-sub. The manager really rates him

8. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    He’s been on the bench needing rest or like this game coming back from international break.

If he’s on the bench next week then we have reason to worry, but the times he’s been on the bench have been justified by reasons other than form.

wsmaugham and glutton4Bolts repped this.
  9. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough.... and said in a polite and constructive manner.

10. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Not playing CB means big win. He replaced the acm but don’t know. He’s got to nail down a bloody position. This box to box thing doesn’t get results.

jnielsen repped this.
  11. dd601

dd601 Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Coach said he didn't return to training until Friday. That's why he didn't start.

WheezingUSASupport and jnielsen repped this.
  12. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Weston starting against Union Berlin. Hasn’t really been too involved thus far except for a couple fouls and some decent footwork to keep corners alive.

LouisianaViking07/09 and freisland repped this.
  13. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought he played pretty well... I think he may be 100% on pass completions outside the 1 cross attempt and he kept the goal play alive twice on the edge. He may have made the wrong decision on that single cross attempt... perhaps should have dished it off to Kinney instead of trying the penetrating run but I like that he made the attempt.... he can be too safe at times IMO. But all-in-all, a good half of football... doing his job as the 6... winning challenges, resetting the play and occasionally finding the key forward pass.

largegarlic repped this.
  14. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    It not just the coach at Schalke, the players are bad and they are a bore to watch still. Also, for USMNT purposes, I’m ready to say Paxton > Weston.

15. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Well, for today at least Schalke is #2 in the #3 league in the world. And Wes was vital in:

a) covering the CBs;
    b) keeping the threat when Berlin took control for the first 20 minutes of the second half.

It's not small potatoes, although I agree they're not exactly fun to watch.

16. WesternWillie

WesternWillie Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing you are one of the few who would at present say that.

17. oscar_in_fw

oscar_in_fw Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Agreed. Wes is not being asked to create nor have did I see much creativity from anyone else on the team. A certain #22 in blue for a different team would have helped...

18. dd601

dd601 Member

Oct 21, 2004

ChicagoVT, jnielsen, adam tash and 10 others repped this.
  19. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Wes is playing a pretty integral role in a much better league and he too is still very young. Perhaps if you want to argue ceilings I could see the whole Paxton > Wes... but I am still not ready to say even that.

Back to the game... Wes had one fantastic through ball into the box that could have easily been put away... that was a great play. He had another couple of good and bad plays in the 2nd half.... thought he played pretty well overall... but that left-footed squib was really bad... Just not sure he will ever be a guy who can strike the ball well... seems more inclined towards winning challenges and starting counter-attacks.

ChicagoVT and felloveranddidanadu repped this.
  20. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The aerial part of his game is great w/ respect to winning the ball... he is awesome at that. I still think Schalke are terrible at getting him the ball on set pieces... it never seems to be placed where he can have a true shot at it. Not sure why they are not focusing more on him on corners. That is a fantastic rating... not sure I would have given him an 8... but whatever. Too bad he picked up his 4th yellow towards the end... he is one away from a vacation.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  21. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I caught the last 30 minutes or so and thought McKennie was pretty good. I don't know that there were super memorable moments from him, but he was pretty involved offensively and defensively doing all the little stuff well.

Comparing his performance at Schalke to that with the US, I think it might just be that he thrives in a more dynamic (maybe even chaotic), back-and-forth type of game. He doesn't seem comfortable with the slow build-up style of Berhalter or the rigidity of the roles in that system.

22. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    No one does, really.

ChicagoVT, jnielsen, adam tash and 7 others repped this.
  23. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Wes’ issues, such as they are for the USMNT, have been more with focus than anything else.

Every once in a while he will make a lazy pass or not track back at the wrong time.

He’s actually been super productive this year otherwise, and not just against Cuba.

I love Paxton, but he’s benefiting from not having the chance to have his warts exposed like Weston. Wes has been playing as a focus point for the US — both often as our best defensive midfielder and often being asked simultaneously to create as a forward midfielder.

It’s a lot, and it’s because he’s talented. A healthy Adams will go a long way to helping cover some of his mistakes and allowing him to focus a bit more on the rest of his game.

24. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, I think Schalke being incredibly boring actually plays a role in how good WM looks.

And, by contrast, FCD plays some fairly open, entertaining soccer, especially when they let all their kids go out there and play, and when it's not 100 degrees out there.

So, while I don't agree in the slightest that Pomykal is better than WM, I can understand how someone could reach that conclusion by slogging through Schalke games and contrasting that with the fairly open and frenetic style of good MLS teams like FCD.

Which isn't to say that every Bundesliga team is boring (BVB and Bayern come to mind as very exciting), or every MLS team is exciting (Montreal and Vancouver could put me to sleep any day), but being on an exciting/boring team certainly makes players look better/worse.

USSoccerNova repped this.