Spaghetti Weston: McKennie at Juventus

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by hokeydokey, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    :ROFLMAO::cry:

he's a superhero now.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Misused terminology. "Extension" makes sense as "extended his term with the club," but it's almost always an entirely new contract, unless you're talking about an option year.

wsmaugham and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  3. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Gotcha. Thanks for explaining.

4. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does extension mean guaranteed money from Liverpool?

5. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    You are "extending your employment" rather than exercising a right to an extension that was prenegotiated, basically. Some contracts have the right to exercise an option on additional years/seasons. The "extension" really just means "extended his time under contract to X club" in cases where there is no pre-negotiated option.

(or, as I see now, what arsenal metro said...)

6. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Wes "Multiple Man" McKennie.

7. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Yep. There's (almost) always a pay rise and, these days, changes to image rights. It's also possible that the buyout clause will have been changed as well. In any case, it's a sign of how important Wes is to them and it's all good

8. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting how Wes seems to fit so much better with Schalke vs the USMNT.

adam tash and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  9. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I was watching yesterday and kept thinking Wes is not really ready/does not yet have the skills to be the kind of "libero" player maker Beerholder seems to want him to be (esp. paired with current players.) He played a few very nice passes (one to Boyd on the right sticks out) but also seemed to get trapped too easily at times and is not a circulating-style middie.

He's young still, but you can see why Schalke moves him around - he's very good at a lot of things, but I wonder where (if) they will land him permanently.

10. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You would expect a player to fit better with their club but where exactly does Wes fit with Schalke other than somewhere other than LB and GK?

superdave and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  11. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He needs to be in the middle because he's very good at winning the ball and his late runs and hops make him a chaos factor in the box.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  12. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His versatility is one of the things that could almost play against him. A jack of all trades and a master of none is not always a good thing. I would love to see Weston lock down a spot, preferably the same spot, for club and country. Otherwise, I am afraid inconsistencies will sneak in.

nobody repped this.
  13. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I still think he's best as a high-energy CM with instructions to press the absolute hell out of the opponent's defensive 5/6, and a license to go forward, especially when the ball goes wide.

The goal he scored last night was exactly the sort of attacking play I think he excels at. Less passing, more finishing.

Defensively, I have no idea what the US was doing with their press, but it seems like he would be well utilized, for both club and country, if he was involved in the press with a more defensive-minded DM behind him. The ground that a Pulisic/McKennie/Adams midfield could cover is almost startling to think about.

14. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    "I still think he's best as a high-energy CM with instructions to press the absolute hell out of the opponent's defensive 5/6, and a license to go forward, especially when the ball goes wide."

These both describe his best skill set, I agree. But the US is asking him to do more playmaking, it looks to me - to be a conduit between Bradley/Trapp and CP/Boyd/Arriola/Zardes. That is where he's not as consistent (yet?) as we might need/want. He hit some lovely balls with good vision in this tourney so far, but I also see him moving the ball away from the opening at times, or simply getting caught in possession. If Bradley were more mobile it would work better. I like him in a kind of Midfield libero role, tracking back, disrupting, then crashing forward, but he would benefit from a strong holding mid paired with him at this point.

His "pure" B2B skills may improve, but he seems not quite there yet.

15. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You've hit on all of us but apparently no men's national team coach thinks Adams is the best six. Adams would fit better with the other players. Don't know why a coach can't see it.

freisland and ArsenalMetro repped this.
  16. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I agree, but there is also a reason Wes is a utility, or at least versatile, player in other coach's eyes as well. Some of it will probably fall to him, now that he's established himself at Schalke, to do the work to carve out a more stable niche in the team.

Hopefully he goes the JOB route (minus the injuries, of course) and after a season or two of multiple positions and roles earned by his basic skills and smarts settles into one that best uses his skills. (Although I hope it's not a holding LB position like JOB played!)

17. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I really enjoy the tight friendship between he and Pulisic.

DHC1 and orcrist repped this.
  18. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't see anyone mention it, but did anyone speculate on their celebration?
    A whimsical part of me thought... maybe a reference to Euro fairydust? :p

Winoman, LouisianaViking07/09 and Hobo repped this.
  19. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    It's a dance called the woah

Hobo, LouisianaViking07/09 and orcrist repped this.
  20. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The more you know. Thank you. My daughter just confirmed this, and now I feel even older :-|

Gorky, TarHeels17, Hobo and 4 others repped this.
  21. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Well, I can do the Watusi.

LouisianaViking07/09 and Winoman repped this.
  22. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Go to bed GRANDPA!!!!

23. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is anyone seeing a bit of Geoff Cameron “utility man” in his future?

24. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No

That's the Geoff Cameron who at 20 was with the Rhode Island Stingrays...I think he gets a positional home this season, though he will still move around some because he's young and is still in the process of establishing himself as a clear cut #1 at any position. Wagner will recognize that to get the most out of McKennie, he needs constancy.

A quick search of the news on S04 this summer shows Bentaleb on his way out and the signings, or rumored signings, in defense. I think WM is pretty well seen as a midfield fixture.

25. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    when i first saw him play i thought wow the US is going to finally have a dynamic defensive mid....the type of player who could play higher up the field but doesn't...for once.

the type of dmid that all the best teams in the world use....a capable and dangerous attacker but in a defensive position.

jermaine jones was kiiinda that....but he left a lot to be desired in terms of his offensive contribution, imo....and how he impacted the attack of the team.

I never susected he would be used as an a-mid. it doesn't make sense to me. (but i also forgot to calculate the insane love affair the good ol boys have themselves with MB...it has blindsided me that it has gone on this loooooong)

Sure, he needs to be on the field and if that's where he has to play he's good enough to be out there, for sure.

to me the no-brainer central mid paring is adams-mckennie...as dual 8's or 6's or whatever you wanna call it......they offer high enough workrates that thats all you would need in center midfield...and then you could get another striker/creator out there.....instead of the current setup with 3 center mids none of whom can create anything.