Spaghetti Weston: McKennie at Juventus

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by hokeydokey, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
  2. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman repped this.
  3. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The lineup graphic on FS2 indicates he'll be playing CF. So that should be interesting. He has anomalously good heading ability for a stocky guy, but Schalke are really grasping at straws after all the fw attrition.

To wit, good chance Wright receives significant playing time, coming on for McKennie, or transferring him to another position. Haji has been as lucky as could be with all these opportunities.

MiamiNative0722 repped this.
  4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    False 9 baby, time to rock the house.

5. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Sure looks like it in the first 3 minutes.

Schalke's style of play is painful to watch though. McKennie as a CF is a good representation of that.

6. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  7. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    God he hurt his knee

8. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada

9. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Only watched the first half. Schalke was very disciplined in Defense, Caliguri was good, but they did not have much in the way of ideas going forward.

10. Nastrabrahmus

Nastrabrahmus Member+

Mar 29, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Hope we get an update soon. Frustrating to watch that entire match then see him get injured on the last touch of the game

11. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    1091780382620614656 is not a valid tweet id

12. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, that team is over-coached, no flow to their play, night aggression in their runs. Why not play Bentaleb high with his skill and lack of speed? No lo comprendo

frankburgers repped this.
  13. KenC

KenC Member+

Jun 11, 2003
    Awkward fall, where McKennie seemed to twist his left knee as he went OOB. Didn't look too bad, as he looked to be getting up; then thought better of it, and laid back down. I think he was just being cautious.

14. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I have no idea what that formation was. It seemed custom-made to marginalize Schalke's creativity. Was defensively good 1st half though - didn't see second.

15. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Bentleb is so good on the ball.
    Anyone listen to Univision? Female play by play person was top notch, fun to listen.

Weston as CF was weird but happy he’s on the field. He worked his butt off but was beat by 75’, and man down made it brutal. Couple nice plays and amazing work rate.

freisland and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  16. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    But he was behind Uth like 80% of the time - and not just a little behind. He played more like an AM most of the first half - only the top man on a few pressing movements.

I saw it listed as a 4-4-2 with Wes and Uth up top and as a 4-5-1 with McKennie up top, but if anything it played the 1st half as a 4-5-1 with Wes behind Uth, or a 4-4-2 with Wes withdrawn (though he was back deep a lot.)

Anyway, he's a smart player, knows how to use his body (at one point he did good work on a Monchen corner kick to get his body to the attacker even as he was out jumped to take some pace off the header.) His passing could be sharper.

Zinkoff repped this.
  17. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i get the same impression i do every time i watch. i love mckennie as a player, and its impressive that he can and will play so many spots. but also- their coach is a dumbass for throwing him into whatever opening they have that day (rather than just nurturing a fantasic young 8. use all the broken down veteran players to clog holes) and they are not a fun team to watch. at all.

18. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Tedesco=Klinsman. Tinkerer without solid plan. So, let's not get scored on? WM at cf is not really playing to his strength. As others have pointed out, Bentleb is not being used to his strength either. I won't go on, but something is not working.

20. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. When I watch Wes I get the feeling he's working hard, but he rarely imposes himself on the game.

21. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Schalke fans do sound fed up with Tedesco. Wes & Caligiuri covered insane amounts of ground.

freisland repped this.
  22. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    And in the 1st half it seemed like Caliguri was the most creative player on the field for Schalke at times. They seem to have the players, to be mid-table, but lack a bit of special.

23. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    I think the only reason Tedesco is still around is because of his results last year and how far they’ve gotten in CL.

Did they get a CF in the Jan transfer window?

24. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    To be fair to him, they lost a tremendous amount of talent seemingly without viable replacements.

Goretzka, Meyer, Kehrer, Howedes, and Naldo all gone

25. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Many of them for free IIRC.