Spaghetti Weston: McKennie at Juventus

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by hokeydokey, Jul 7, 2016.

1. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Can't even get into the 18 today, kid sucks. Mods, close thread please.

2. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Cherry picking a random outlier example to criticize capitalism and the global soccer meritocracy: nice.

superdave repped this.
  3. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
  4. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    How is playing in England fatal for your career? Not being good enough to stay in England might be fatal for your career in England but there are hundreds of EPL washouts making a nice living in other leagues right now. I’d argue EPL rejects typically have far better careers than those who never played there at all.

freisland, LouisianaViking07/09 and DHC1 repped this.
  5. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Because of the salaries. Once you get bought by an English club, if you flop you have to wait until the contract runs out or be willing to take much lower wages if someone is willing to pay the transfer fee.

In a career with about 7 peak years tops, wasting one or two of your best years is very bad.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  6. Sufjan Guzan

Sufjan Guzan Member+

Feb 13, 2016
    Big month in general. They play Monchengladbach and Bayern before Man City.

Those are league games against the solid 2 and 3 in the Bundesliga.

7. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Memphis Depay and Diego Forlan come to mind.

8. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Mo Salah and Kevin de Bruyne were, at one point, Premier League rejects as well. Seems to have worked out alright.

Di Maria, Veron, etc.

9. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Schalke drew Hertha today. Their pressing was much better than Wes' version last week and helped keep Hertha's opportunities down. Schalke played well but had to make early subs and the knock on Capt. Stambouli really hurt. We might have seen Wright otherwise, who was on the bench.

I get the feeling Schalke would sell him but not cheaply. I don't think the rumored 20m would do it. Somebody playing as well as Wes at age 20 commands something north of 30m imo.

10. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    And........you don’t think he’s a starter for the USMNT over Delgado and trapp. I’m assuming they’re $35+ million each!

11. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Getting the point away to a club above them in the table is a good result for them. Truth is, they didn't miss McKennie today. They'll miss him soon after those two injuries.

BearFoot repped this.
  12. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    No, they are older, more experienced, less time to amortize, less headroom, etc. etc.

13. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you watch how Grujic bossed them, I’d say they definitely missed McKennie. He’d have been sitting on top of Marko.

Come on man. When it’s deserved, it’s fine. But it literally never stops with you.

adi21, neems, m_vandersee and 5 others repped this.
  14. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Uh? They lost at home to Hertha with McKennie playing the full 90. And yes, they got a red, but that was in the final minutes and it was already 0-1 at that point (it ended 0-2). That's why I say they didn't miss him yesterday.

15. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the the lineup, formation and McKennie’s play are all entirely different.

You’re being disingenuous.

60611 repped this.
  16. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I like McKennie a lot. Saying they didn't miss him doesn't mean that I think he's a bad player or that they play better without him. I'm just noting they did well and got a tough point away without him.

Here it's as if all you want to read is for each one of our players being called "amazing" every game. You're a weird bunch.

Excellency and onefineesq repped this.
  17. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    That's exactly the connotation of "they didn't miss him."

gunnerfan7 repped this.
  18. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, not really. ‘Didn’t miss him’ equates to ‘better without him’ to most native English speakers.

A tough draw shows they didn’t miss him? A draw is not a win. They would’ve won with him in there. Duh!

Hypotheticals are just that. Nothing weird about any it.

I was always curious why your innocuous posts get some pretty agressive replies. It’s becoming clearer.

ArsenalMetro repped this.
  19. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Ok, how about this: they played better without him against Hertha away than they played with him against Hertha at home, him being one of a few variables that changed.

a) It doesn't mean he's not a good player;
    b) it doesn't mean they're better without him in other circumstances;
    c) it only means they were better without him against Hertha without accounting for the other variables.

Overall Schalke is playing better as the season advances. Also, while McKennie looks good with the team, it'd be naive to say he's essential to them.

20. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sakibomb523, KenC, PalmettoSpur and 5 others repped this.
  21. BrennenZinckgraf

United States
    May 10, 2018
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Free breakfast AND a free round whenever Schalke score? If only they were stronger on offense atm!

That's awesome though, wish I was in DFW.

neems repped this.
  22. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Whenever he makes the move to the PL, I'm sure he'll be doubling or even tripling his wages. I can't imagine he's on a million euros a year. Probably far less.

Suyuntuy repped this.
  23. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What if he stays forever like he said he would :D

24. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some footage of the 18yo attacking speedster we just signed from Man City for $13MM. No idea if this will positively impact Weston. Given our track record for signings the last couple of years I am not terribly optomistic and Tedesco will just play him at GK anyway.

25. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    If rumors are true, selling him for 20 million is stealing from Liverpool. I doubt seriously that it was ever discussed.