Spaghetti Weston: McKennie at Juventus

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by hokeydokey, Jul 7, 2016.

1. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I get it - you disagree. But touching the ball does have *some* bearing on it. That is a playable ball and both players have some responsibility to avoid the collision. Going in with your foot at that level when the ball is not near your foot is different from going for and getting a playable ball, even if your challenge is careless or reckless (or, as judged here, with excessive force). I can also see, give how that looked in real time, why he got the card. I still think a red was harsh, but what I think doesn't matter.

2. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Many say "natural position", which is a common interpretation, I think. And it makes sense. However, the Laws of the Game (at least 2018) say:

Handling the ball involves a deliberate act of a player making contact with the ball with the hand or arm. The following must be considered:
    • the movement of the hand towards the ball (not the ball towards the hand)
    • the distance between the opponent and the ball (unexpected ball)
    • the position of the hand does not necessarily mean that there is an offence
    • touching the ball with an object held in the hand (clothing, shinguard, etc.) is an offence
    • hitting the ball with a thrown object (boot, shinguard, etc.) is an offence

It seems based on the actual rules, a slide tackling player should not be penalized if his arm is not on his body, as long as there is not a deliberate attempt to play the ball with the hands/arms. The rules state that the hand shall not move towards the ball. There is no mention of what is "natural". Based on the rules taken literally, if a player is standing there with his arms outstretched to the side, and the offensive player kicks the ball from a short distance, and the ball strikes the arm, there is no foul.

I'm not saying what is right or wrong, just that the common interpretation about arms/hands being in "natural" positions is just that, an interpretation. The rules talk about being "deliberate" and moving "towards the ball".

3. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They don't bag as many chicks.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  4. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    they're white guys what do you expect :laugh:

I tease of course. I gotta figure even pro cricket players get their ton of ladies.

5. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    I don’t know what you guys are arguing about, his girlfriend’s hand was clearly in a natural position.

KenC, TarHeels17, randomnoise and 5 others repped this.
  6. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    There are the laws and the interpretation. The refs are taught to interpret it the same way and at the world level the refs are pretty consistent. If you do something that makes yourself big in anticipation of a kick, you clearly aren't reacting, but you have caused a handball by your positioning which has no other purpose than to block the ball. So the intent can come _before_ the kick. The more you insert yourself to block a ball, the more you had better make your arms small. This is like a player putting their arms behind their back when they are standing up to block a ball. When you jump, keep your arms below your shoulders. When you slide, keep the arm bent and tight. There will always be a gray area, and in this case the arm wasn't as tight as it could have been, but it was most of the way there.

7. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    Do you feel that, on a high kick, touching the ball first helps?

8. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Did you feel that kick was high? As in "playing in a dangerous manner" high?

9. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    "Even"?!?!?

I certain jurisdictions - think Australia, India & Pakistan - they get their ton of the ladies. And the cream of every other pro sports' ton on top.

onefineesq and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  10. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    So he created none . . . :confused:

11. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    No, my point was that there is no "high kick" rule. It is exactly the same careless/reckless/excessive hierarchy, that truly does not consider whether the ball was touched. Get to the ball first, come through horizontally with studs up, studs hit ball, two-feet later hit your studs into someone who was running in to defend but got there second, collect your red card for careless+reckless+excessive.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  12. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are hundreds of millions of fertile Indian women to choose from.

13. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I never said anything about a high kick, so that's odd. And a tackle that is a legit play on the ball will not always get the same response as the same tackle if the ball is away. One may be careless, the other reckless, for one example. Anyway, I am certain no one wants to read us dancing this around for 20 more posts here, so I will leave it at this: as I wrote, I did not (and still do not) think Serdar's challenge rose to the level of excessive force/serious foul play warranting a straight red.

To me it was no way as bad as yellow-carded fouls such as van Dyke on Marteens recently or Verratti's tackle on Gomez in Pool/PSG or that infamous kick to head Morata gave Kimmich a few years ago (to name a couple of fairly famous (and worse to my eye) yellow card interactions that come to mind.)

Still, you, and most importantly, the CR did think the tackle used excessive force and what the ref decides is all that matters so I think we can go back to debating who christened Wes the cuddly tank. Have a good Sunday.

MtnGardener repped this.
  14. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Stop giving him ideas!!! :D

15. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

HScoach13, Gacm32, wixson7 and 4 others repped this.
  16. nikeboots

nikeboots Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Ohio/Oklahoma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting that Bodo Menze, who was once head of Schalke's academy and who seems to have had a role in bringing Weston over to Schalke, calls McKennie a 6. In my viewing, he has played pretty much everywhere except a 6 for Schalke this year.

I think he's more an 8 than a 6, but then again I've never directed a prestigious youth academy

"He is on a wonderful path. He is a very complete defensive midfield player," Menze told Goal. "He is a very strong boy mentally and physically. He is the perfect player to get into the first XI of our club. He is in a very good situation playing as the number six. I have big hopes because his mentality and his character makes him the right boy to play for Schalke. He is a positive team player, a very nice guy with a certain humour, and a perfect team player."

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/mov...be-bundeligas-next/15e9rmqh5fn961hnpnogbs0d7j

17. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    He seemed more like a 6 last year, running around pressuring...when Schalke were fun to watch last year.

I do agree he seems best as an 8...Adams is in the same boat.

18. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bottom line is that Berhalter needs to find a way to keep both of them on the field. They seem to know each other and I'm sure have played together with youth national teams, so hopefully this is a challenge we can execute on.

19. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Huuge game for him today. Who knows where/if he plays but just got the chills thinking about him bossing the midfield today.

20. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to rain on your parade, but I think he's going to be in goal today. Team needs him there.

21. an1310

an1310 Member+

Jun 2, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    So he'll be leading the line, then.

22. markandrew78

markandrew78 Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Hell, he might be coaching this game. They got this kid all over the place.

23. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rumor has it he’s taken over the GM position since no one but him knows how to handle it.

Way to go Weston!

24. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
  25. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015