Spaghetti Weston: McKennie at Juventus

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by hokeydokey, Jul 7, 2016.

1. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depends how you look at it. Graded on a curve he was above average. However, a “3” is “satisfactory” in the German grading system (assuming Kicker is based on that 1-6 system), essentially average. A “4” is “sufficient” and isn’t failing but is below par. At any rate, we can all agree he was better than Wood last weekend, who got a 5.5 Kicker rating.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    All the S04 players were missing passes in the first half; not just McKennie. It might have been something they did during training that just wasn't working in the game. Usually they were passes that were yards to far ahead of a team mate. It was so comically bad and consistent that something must have been going on. Maybe the pitch was much faster than in warmups, who knows.

The thing about his second half is that it was a glimpse of what he could be. What McKennie was at the u19 level, just a dominant offensive and defensive force in the midfield. I don't know if he just decided to go for it, or if he was finally put in a position to do it, or tried a dribble and it worked and got the confidence to do it more. But whatever it was, or a combination of all three, he was the best player on the field from the start of the second half to when he was subbed out. We have to remember he is still young and it is not going to be consistent. But as the baseball prospect guys say, "if you show it you own it". He can be this in the Bundesliga.

Kind of sucks that he can't immediately take that form to the next game as he is suspended.

One thing he has definitely developed this year is a dominant aerial game. He routinely wins balls against players much taller than him. It has kept him on the pitch all year as S04 needs that because their offense is basically his aerial game many times.

3. dd601

dd601 Member

Oct 21, 2004
    He has played around like this everytime he had a chance to play in his position. He did it in the Champions League when he got the assists. Last time he was playing like this, he got hurt. Hopefully, he kicks on now

justinpaul10 and Suyuntuy repped this.
  4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Bobby should demand his full 6,0 for the shift he put on Saturday.

5. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry if this isn't allowed, but does anyone have a replay of this match? I've looked everywhere and can't find one. I was going to make a McKennie all-touch.

taylor and twoolley repped this.
  6. dd601

dd601 Member

Oct 21, 2004
    foxsoccer match pass and fox sports go

ShaftBrewer repped this.
  7. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    R/footballhighlights often has full matches, even though that’s not its stated purpose.

And fullmatchreplays.com (or something like that).

ShaftBrewer repped this.
  8. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I'm with whomever pointed out Schalke's poor passing in the 1st half - including Wes. I'd be interested in an all touch vid just to see if I was being harsh. Seemed surprisingly poor for 04. 2nd looked much better.

9. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Well, if McKennie's off the ball play made the team bad (which it did), you wouldn't see that in an all touch video.

10. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Sure, but I also thought his (and all of Schalke's passing) was off in the 1st half.

11. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    it's incredible what a few years playing for German clubs as a kid can have on a career. You'd have thought he might have gave up the love for the game when he moved stateside. Probably would have if he was born in a prior generation. I'm sure majority of kids of US service personnel (living abroad) always choose american football/basketball to keep a connection to US culture/lifestyle.

Suyuntuy repped this.
  12. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Or maybe they're pushed in that direction by their Lehrer who happen to think they are biologisch geneigt to excel in sports.

13. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Not sure about "majority" but many US serviceman kids have played soccer, even "back in the day." Just not that many turned into pro-level players.

gunnerfan7 and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  14. Sufjan Guzan

Sufjan Guzan Member+

Feb 13, 2016
    TBH if I was stationed in Germany I would want my kids to play soccer to get them the best chance of getting a college scholarship. Not that would be a ride or die, but it's a nice option to have.

15. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Kinda what I meant. That so few ever went pro-level. I'd imagine probably 10x that actually went pro ball or football in the US.

16. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    My German is nein. Could you repeat that in italian for me? ;)

17. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Hm... I'd be surprised if it was 10x, but really have no idea if on a percentage basis kids of US service personnel are significantly more likely to become a pro-basketball or football player if raised in US vs. pro soccer player if raised in Europe.

Not even sure how you would find those numbers.

My guess is it's hard for both to make pro level. But I'm really just guessing about all of this. I do know a good number of US eligible soccer players over the years have been kids of service personnel, but that's just cause it means they are likely to be both raised in soccer-loving euro environment and be US passport eligible.

But we digress.

18. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    Anderson11 repped this.
  20. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Any player who looks good enough eventually ends in England, because that's where the funny money is. That move proves fatal for many a career, though.

If you're not a born-and-bred capitalist you understand lots of money do not equal top class quality, though. Ask anyone who bought a Bravia Smart TV between 2012 and 2015.

zlebmada repped this.
  21. Nastrabrahmus

Nastrabrahmus Member+

Mar 29, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Not in the 18 today.

22. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yellow card suspension

ttrevett repped this.
  23. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Phew, I thought we were going to have to survive 20 pages of "Are they selling him?" or "he was clearly at fault on that first goal the other day so the coach is benching him, clearly an American bias."

PalmettoSpur, Pegasus and ArsenalMetro repped this.
  24. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can still delete my post

Anderson11, eliwood and ttrevett repped this.
  25. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We can still do that if you like!

ttrevett repped this.