Spaghetti Weston: McKennie at Juventus

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by hokeydokey, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Sometimes I think players could use those air traffic control fluorescent paddles to signal they're open for a pass and where they want it. I bet Aronjo would have loved those.

2. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yikes Schalke need to get a striker this winter

3. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    He wasn't executing quickly enough for the predatory Dortmunders to begin and when he speeded up, his partner wasn't in sync. He played a little too much like a midfielder in receiving the ball forward. That's all expected, they can study the game and work on shielding and turning. I would think they eventually play him top of the diamond midfield instead of striker and the experience of playing further up against Dortmund will give him the sense he needs of how difficult it is.

4. USSoccerNova

USSoccerNova Member+

Sep 28, 2005
    Obviously Wes is going to be a midfielder (6/8, or perhaps 10) long-term, but can't stress how impressed I am that they trust him enough to play center back, attacking mid and forward in a pinch. I think it reflects well on his versatility, professionalism and maturity and I can't wait to watch him grow as a player over the next few cycles.

5. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    kodakjackson and PalmettoSpur repped this.
  6. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I think it also reflects on Schalke being lucky that this season there are four truly dismal teams in the BuLi (Hannover, Fortuna, Nürnberg & Augsburg).

Any other season, they'd be in the red zone.

7. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    He wasn't asked to do that. I think Tedesco wanted a False 9, and boy did he get it!

Spuds is young, but just about any starter in his position with his starts finds the match a bit better. I thought he went missing on several key plays. Head down, ran away from ball.

wixson7 and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  8. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Is there a timeline on when they get any of their strikers back?

Would rather have McKennie play striker than CB, but would be nice to see him back at his preferred position.

9. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    He also lacks a poacher's instinct and had a few balls in the box he couldn't get off his foot.

10. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sportbild.de had an article about the differences between Dortmund and Schalke this season. Of note: McKennie is featured on the title picture as "Typical images of the season: BVB Captain Reus celebrates while Schalke stars Burgtaller and McKennie are frustrated." No mention of McKennie in the article, but awesome to see him get some reps from the quality folks at Sportbild.de.

https://sportbild.bild.de/bundeslig...bvb-revierderby-vergleich-58842322.sport.html

11. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who is spuds? McKennie?

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  12. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Did pretty well given how different it is to play with one's back to goal. Lots of good plays in the video, with a few rushed passes that were outright mistakes instead of good gambles.

13. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Versatility is not always a good thing. I'd rather see him becoming so good at a certain position that they cannot afford to move him around.

Winoman and USSoccerNova repped this.
  14. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    This is all that I could think of

[​IMG]

HartwickFan, Suyuntuy and DHC1 repped this.
  15. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    McKennie on the bench for Schalke's borderline meaningless game against Lokomotiv Moscow.

Winoman repped this.
  17. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If that's the inspiration, it needs to stop. Where's the beef?

Also to Sam's point that - if it is his point - WM was somehow deficient in being able to find the game at striker and that most other players dropped in that role would have picked it up quicker...I just can't...can't even begin to articulate the extent to which I disagree with that claim.

ArsenalMetro repped this.
  18. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Sam just likes to make up "funny" nicknames.

19. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and stayed on the bench as Schalke won 1-0 on a 91st minute goal by Schopf

20. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trivia: Schopf was one of two Bayern Reserve players signed to professional contracts by Pep Guardiola in winter 2013. The other young attacker who had been tearing up Bayern II was considered the more promising prospect.

Julian Green

21. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Sadly, this is not likely to be the only trivia question where the answer is:

Julian Green...

22. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    laugh if you must; he still got a WC goal against Belgium at age 19 after only 5 minutes on the pitch ;)

23. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    No one should laugh at Julian. He is a 23 year old kid, making $500k to play soccer. He is very good, just not looking like he'll ever be a star for club or country. Most people do a lot worse.

24. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Hold a contract in your hand giving me 10% of that salary to play soccer for a living and I'll take it - and your whole arm off.

Depending on the country, and the cost of living in said country, and I'd do it for 5%. Again taking your whole arm off.

25. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    The announcer said: he's like a terrier he'll chase anything!

I see him more as a jack russell.