Spaghetti Weston: McKennie at Juventus

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by hokeydokey, Jul 7, 2016.

1. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He played box-to-box, sideline-to-sideline with the U19's.

Definitely didn't carry any kind of regular defensive mid label.

More like do everything and assist/get on the score sheet.

2. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
    He wore the number 6 for schalke u19s. It's true he was asked to do a lot and he may have played box-to-box a handful of times but If you go back and watch some of the games and read articles/interviews published near the time he was about to break into the first team its pretty clear Schalke thought of him as more of a defensive mid. One write-up I remember in particular talked about his u19 coach Elgert designing a specific defensive drill for Mckennie to practice and told him that once he was able to complete it satisfactorily he would be graduated to the first team. Once Meyer was converted into a 6 Mckennie became a Swiss Army knife in midfield but I def remember him being looked at as more of a dmid before then

3. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    If I were their club manager, looking at a friendly date for the US with an interim manager at the helm, I would do everything in my power to engineer a "soft tissue injury" for CP and WM that would keep them in Germany to rest with no questions asked.

Not saying that's what has happened. I don't have any insider info. But it sure wouldn't surprise me to see them back in their club's starting lineups before the month is out.

Dirt McGirt, dcochran and y-lee-coyote repped this.
  4. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    CP missed a CL and Buli match prior to the break, so it wouldn't be particularly unusual for him to start or see sub minutes in the next game, if healthy.

I don't care about Wes in a meaningless friendly with an interim coach. He is going to play a big role for his club this season and he needs to pace his body. Even if Schalke and Wes are being disingenuous I don't care.

dcochran repped this.
  5. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wearing the #6 really doesn't mean anything. I watched everything that was available to be streamed.

It seemed to me that there were games when Norbert Elgert would deploy him as what could be described as a 6, 8, and 10, specifically for his individual development and growth.

Most often I'd describe his role as of one of two double 8's, both playing off each other when it came to who got forward and who offered coverage behind in the moment.

I would not describe his role with any consistency as a that of a CDM.

6. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
    I watched most u19 games that were streamed but not all and it's been awhile so I'll defer to your memory

7. zlebmada

zlebmada Member

United States
    Jan 16, 2018
    I suspect Wes has a fair number of yellows and reds in his future.

8. Mario Balotelli

Mario Balotelli Member+

United States
    Feb 28, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Schalke's brass seems to be very, very high on McKennie.

Tedesco:

"Weston is important for us not only because of the goals," said Schalke coach: "Even in the phase in which it was not so good, he simply embodied much what we want to stand for. He has a good mentality, is down to earth and works hard. "Tedesco also believes that McKennie has not exhausted his potential by far:" The important thing is that he continues to develop. He does not always show 100 percent of the things he can do. Weston just has to stay so diligent and down to earth that he'll get better. He's just good."

https://www.waz.de/sport/fussball/s...nderlob-fuer-weston-mckennie-id215499487.html

This is from a few days ago (before Saturday's game):

From sporting director Christian Heidel:

Also manager Christian Heidel is visibly impressed by the Americans. "I rarely pick players out," Heidel said after the Moscow win, "but this is about the way Weston plays. His body language is already very extraordinary. There are players in the team who are lining up for Weston McKennie. "

At the upper performance limit, Heidel sees the young man but despite his upwards trajectory, he is far from his potential. "He is still a talent, after all. It's not that Weston is already putting his full potential at the age of 20. I'm sure he'll get better. "

From Tedesco:
    "Weston has good power, he is still brutally young. He has everything a footballer needs. McKennie has the most deep runs with us. He can play as a six, as eighth or as in Moscow as a tens. These positions are similar. I'm really happy for him that he scored the goal. "

https://www.waz.de/sport/fussball/s...on-mckennie-wird-noch-besser-id215486665.html

9. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    That would be one convenient but naive scenario for deflecting the fact that far too many of our young lads are picking up bump, bruises and worse at an alarmingly high rate. Now we have Adams out with a back issue. Injuries are part of sport BUT seeing these young players hobbled before some have barely gotten their feet wet doesn't give me a warm, fuzzy feeling. If you're missing games because of a back issues at 20...

10. adi21

adi21 Member

The ones that have Americans starting
    United States
    Mar 17, 2001
    Maryland
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Assuming he is still developing , NO. At this early stage in his career he is not a cautioned machine , so on what are you basing your supposition ?

11. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    Wes's injuries look real, but not terrible. I mean, the way he got kicked in the meat a couple BL games back, that isn't a long term thing but there is no denying it was real. When I hear "muscle injury" I feel better about it. Ligaments, tendons, and cartilage heal so slowly (if at all), but muscle heals well. It just needs time.

I am a USMNT supporter, but I am glad that Wes and CP aren't playing international this week. It makes no sense for anyone but for the spectators of the individual games.

12. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I absolutely want them in the first camp with the permanent manager, but another Sarachan camp? Yeah, I don't really see the value either.

13. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    McKennie got a two from Kicker, comparatively, Bentaleb, who I thought was excellent only got a 3, and Burgstaller got a 2.5.

14. zlebmada

zlebmada Member

United States
    Jan 16, 2018
    Just watched him a lot, seen him go in hard and late pretty regularly. I like that he's an enforcer but if we're picking one player in the current pool for highest number of yellows and reds over the next decade, for me it's Weston.

Here's one he didn't even get called for:
    995457368384327680 is not a valid tweet id

15. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    he plays with energy but he has never looked particularly rough

Excellency, HartwickFan and adi21 repped this.
  16. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    The JJ haterade is strong here. He is vastly under-rated.

If I were drafting a USMNT from all of our players historically, I start with JJ as my first field player. It’s not particularly close.

Namdynamo, onefineesq, bsky22 and 4 others repped this.
  17. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone who drafted anyone else first never saw JJJ in person. He could and did cover so much ground.

He was the guy who allowed us to be decent when we didn’t have any right to anything close to decent based on the quality around him.

TheHoustonHoyaFan and DHC1 repped this.
  18. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Weston's cherub face will save him from many a yellow.

HartwickFan, kba4life1 and orcrist repped this.
  19. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    can you recall what game of any player that got a 1?

is KICKER too hesitant to give too much praise?

20. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I haven’t seen any haterade and as a long term USA fan, there are quite a few players I’d take before JJ. McBride, Reyna, Eddie Pope and my fave Tab Ramos would all come before JJ. JJ scored an awesome goal in the WC and was a very good player. He’d have a spot on my top 11 but not number 1.

adi21 repped this.
  21. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Right now I'd still take JJ, but I think in distribution Wes is as good if not better already, and has the potential to be better overall. I doubt he's ever going to match the tackling, though, but who knows.

He's only 20, with a lot of upside.

Robdog repped this.
  22. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    You need a bit of a reminder of what JJ brought to the table
    sorry bro, but until McKennie performs well in the WC & scores goals like JJ vs Portugal he doesn't have greater upside - McKennie is a good prospect & that's it - lets give him time to develop & see how he performs on the Biggest stages - dude just turned 20 & is just starting out

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  23. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    Paco Alcacer got a 1 last week for a 34 minute hat trick including the game winner.

24. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Upside = potential

Waiting until he's 24 to determine his potential via World Cup performance runs contrary to the core concept of potential.

m_vandersee, btlove and adi21 repped this.
  25. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    We are all aware of that goal.

Anderson11 and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.