Spaghetti Weston: McKennie at Juventus

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by hokeydokey, Jul 7, 2016.

1. an1310

an1310 Member+

Jun 2, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Wow. The Champions League really needs VAR.

TheHoustonHoyaFan and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  2. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    So disappointing. A no-contact penalty that may earn Porto a point. May have been a stumble instead of a dive, but definitely no contact that I guess looked like contact from the ref's angle. He was in decent position, to it's just a miss.

adi21 repped this.
  3. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Full time. Schalke will feel hard done by on the penalty call, though I think the game was played relatively even. McKennie represented himself well overall, highlighted by a high quality assist. Big endorsement to be in the 11 for the CL opener as well.

4. TMBMiles

TMBMiles Member

Dortmund
    United States
    Mar 31, 2017
    7.3 for McKennie on whoscored. Only Sane and the keeper with higher ratings. I know he'd been shuffled around a bit in the lineup due to injuries, but great to see him have such a nice showing back at his more natural position.

5. punintended_13

punintended_13 Member+

Atlanta United
    Mar 22, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Next up for Wes: Bayern Munich on Saturday.

HartwickFan, Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  6. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    As I said long ago, this guy panning out is going to be even more important for our NT than Puli: we desperately need a good CM. We usually get guys who're not good enough for the attack and not good enough for the defense playing there.

I'm so glad to see him get out of his funk.

HartwickFan and USSoccerNova repped this.
  7. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    This dude needs to stay healthy.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  8. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wondering is his funk was like mine when it comes to the USMNT. I'll get fired up once the USSF pulls it's collective head out it's arse and hires a real coach.

How we expect players who play for big clubs and in the ECL to get fired up for friendlies with an interim coach who doesn't get roster or tactics right is crazy.

Tedesco is a really good coach. He's getting the most out of McKennie IMO.

And I think we desperately need both he and CP to move the USMNT along. One without the other was what we just saw in the last 2 games. Not sure who's more important but I get your point totally.

9. EricSunRa

EricSunRa Member

FC Dallas
    United States
    Sep 29, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Played the advanced middie in Tedesco's 3-5-2, and according to whoscored, 81% of his passes were forward, with the majority of them in the attacking third. Seems like a way different role this season with Goretzka and Meyer gone. Bentleb was doing the dirty work, with Serdar also providing grit. Wes only attempted 2 tackles in his 90 minutes, surprisingly. Still, Schalke was toothless and looked pretty bad.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  10. Plizzle

Plizzle New Member

Mar 14, 2015
    Bentaleb needs to work on his post goal slide. Nice run and pass by Wes!

KenC and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  11. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Way to go on the assist!

13. dd601

dd601 Member

Oct 21, 2004
  14. Sombrerito

Sombrerito Member

Arsenal
    United States
    May 6, 2018
    He doesn’t play like that for the US because he has Trapp behind him... he needs to defend way more often

15. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It wasn't a funk. McKennie is a good player that can't do everything when playing for USMNT. He needs quality help.

HartwickFan and comoesa repped this.
  16. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    1st half: Thought he was bad, sloppy on the ball, not making tackles. Out of sorts. Was making those straight runs forward and got a nice chance. Fortunate touch got him a nice look on goal. Seemed to be a step behind.

2nd half: holy awesomeness. The lead up to the assist was great, fought to win the header and the makes the great run forward, gets played in and puts a nice square ball for the assist. Was all over the field, making crunching tackles in his own box, and always getting forward. Watch a joy to watch. Not graceful, not taking people on, but doing all the blue collar things that needed to be done. Allowed to roam free offensively and so disciplined on defense.

17. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Is he a legit starter with the club now?

18. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I mean his two previous games for Schalke (vs. VW & Hertha), actually. He wasn't looking that good IMO.

19. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't follow Dortmund enough to know if they have a quality midfield. How does theirs compare to the US, other than relative experience?

20. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    Their best starting midfield is any combo of Kagawa, Witsel, Weigl, and Götze. Dahoud is a bench/depth option. All of those players, save Dahoud, would be locked in starters on the USMNT and better than anything we currently have.

yabo repped this.
  21. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    He started the Champions League opener. I'd say that's proof.

22. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    Based on the thread and the quote you posted, did you maybe mean Schalke?

yabo repped this.
  23. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep confusing my young yanks. thanks.

24. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    The concept that a major league UCL midfield is comparable to the US' midfield which recently has been comprised of young-ish MLS players and WM is apples-to-oranges.

25. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Apples to oranges, or apples to not-nearly-as-good-at-least-yet-apples?

Eighteen Alpha repped this.