Spaghetti Weston: McKennie at Juventus

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by hokeydokey, Jul 7, 2016.

1. SlyEli

SlyEli Member

United States
    Jun 25, 2017
    Weston puts in a beautiful ball that lands right at Naldo's feet 1-on-1 with the GK. Naldo kicks it right to the keeper. VAR review shows that the pass actually hit the hand of a Berlin defender before reaching Naldo. Caligiuri takes the penalty but doesn't get it on target. Weston immediately gets beaten on a deep ball to the left wing, leading to a goal. Yikes

2. SlyEli

SlyEli Member

United States
    Jun 25, 2017
    Weston struggling mightily at RB. He doesn't have the agility to cover wingers in space

3. hype25

hype25 Member

Jul 17, 2016
    Has he ever played RB before? Pretty certain he's a CM through and through, right?

4. SlyEli

SlyEli Member

United States
    Jun 25, 2017
    Looks like Caligiuri has moved to RB and Weston is pushed forward. That experiment ended quickly.

5. bigt8917

bigt8917 Member+

May 10, 2015
    Naldo misses a clear chance at goal. Caligiuri misses a PK badly. Weston is completely burned on Hertha's goal. And Hertha Belin of all teams is dominating possession. Just hand Bayern the trophy already.

6. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So much for trying to make Wes a fullback

matabala repped this.
  7. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    Seriously, where do they find some of these "coaches"? McKennie is not a RB any way you slice him.

Suyuntuy repped this.
  8. hype25

hype25 Member

Jul 17, 2016
    Back in CM now where he looks way more comfortable

9. PalmettoSpur

PalmettoSpur Member

Oct 21, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    This game has been absolutely brutal to watch.

10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I concur. It's like he was set up to fail.

Suyuntuy repped this.
  11. markandrew78

markandrew78 Member

Jun 10, 2007
    This game is shit. Every player (including Weston) has been absolute trash.

12. kumuyc

kumuyc Member

Nov 7, 2016
    Is he back playing RB again?

13. bigt8917

bigt8917 Member+

May 10, 2015
    Weston with another awful performance

14. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    Looks like CB since Naldo is playing further up now

15. bigt8917

bigt8917 Member+

May 10, 2015
    As a USA fan it pains me to say, but I honestly would drop Weston next game if I were Tedesco. The kid is playing too safe, not creating anything, and generally having no impact. Harit-Rudy-Serdar/Bentaleb would be alot more impactful imo. Wes has a long way to go, and needs to develop some aggression to his game a la Dempsey to be a top class Bundesliga midfielder.

16. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All this hand-wringing over WM at RB. Terrible experiment, worthless game to draw any conclusions.

And if Tedesco wanted WM off, he'd have subbed him off.

I think he'll be right back in midfield next game, because today felt like an experiment more than a game Schalke were really trying to win. Certainly the players looked like they were already on International break...

adi21 repped this.
  17. punintended_13

punintended_13 Member+

Atlanta United
    Mar 22, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Wait what.. I'm just coming into this thread after watching the game on a delay and I'm lost at what people are seeing??

Weston hit the pass that led to the first penalty and Schalke's best chance to score all game while he was playing right back, and recycled the ball well as a right back. He then shifted to CM when they went to 4 at the back and did as much as he could from a deep position. It's hard to look great when their attackers can't create anything, but that's not on Wes. That's not his responsibility. He was kept on for all 90 and was moved around in his positioning. His coach thought he was good enough to be kept on in the most important moments of the game but keyboard warriors here are calling for him "trash" and saying he needs to be benched? Bigsoccer is a trip sometimes.

Deeneaus, USA-Zebuel, Namdynamo and 12 others repped this.
  18. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Tedesco played him there for a few midseason friendlies last year. Definitely hasn't under any other manager, though.

19. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #3719 The Irish Rover, Sep 2, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
    Not sure about ever, but not in BL play. He was played at CB in a pre-season game and some people were (foolishly) having conniptions - a CDM dropping between the CBs when the full-backs push forward is a useful tactical option - but he's never shown the skillset or even the physical attributes of an RB.

He's not really tall enough for a defender, is way more comfortable vertically than laterally, hasn't got real pace (a la Yedlin) and isn't creative enough going forward. It's not that you'd never start him at RB; it's more like you'd only do it if there's been an injury crisis and you need someone to bang his body into the opposition LM.

Only two games in is a bit early for doom-and-gloom mongering, but this season's Schalke does not look good at all.

20. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I might agree, but for a bit of confusion. From which position would you drop him, RB, CB, CM? Maybe I missed one?

adi21 repped this.
  21. punintended_13

punintended_13 Member+

Atlanta United
    Mar 22, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    He led the team in interceptions, tied for 3rd in tackles, completed the 3rd most passes of anyone on the team, and tied for the 3rd most aerial duels of anyone on the team. I don't know where this narrative is coming from that he had a trash game.

The real culprit this game was only 4 completed dribbles and 4 shots on goal from the attackers combined all game.

22. SlyEli

SlyEli Member

United States
    Jun 25, 2017
    Agree with this, he created the best chance, and would have had an assist if Naldo scored the sitter or if Caligiuri converted the penalty. However he got burned twice at RB, including for the first goal. Once he moved to CM he did well, making some interceptions and generally passing well. Baba was terrible, Rudy was terrible, Naldo was wasteful in attack. Wes did fine after he moved centrally.

23. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    In short: don't put him as RB again in the BuLi please. It's setting him up to fail.

That he didn't get subbed speaks volumes. The coach knows rotating a young guy like that through three defensive positions and five different roles in 90 minutes was a brutal experiment for him.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  24. bigt8917

bigt8917 Member+

May 10, 2015
    Player rating from reviersport.de

"Weston McKennie (5): The experiment with him in the triple chain was not fortunate, before the 1-0 he could not stop Dilrosun. Then advanced to midfield, where he had no good scenes."

25. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Felt like last game where he wasn’t the weakest link but was still part of the problem.

We all know his defensive capabilities which showed today, and know he’s not the best going forward. Although today he needed to show more.

Honestly as long as he’s still in Tedesco’s graces we don’t have anything to worry about.