Spaghetti Weston: McKennie at Juventus

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by hokeydokey, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I suggest you contact the coach with this exciting new insight.

2. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    a great holding midfielder is just as valuable. It's a very hard position to play.

3. PalmettoSpur

PalmettoSpur Member

Oct 21, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I totally agree! A top-notch holding mid can make a good team into a great team. I just meant that Wes is better in the attack, and it's (frankly) more fun to watch him attack than chase the ball around the middle of the park.

4. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is certainly a significant difference in the tactical scheme when Weston plays v Meyer. One example is that with Max we mostly play a 3-1-4-2 with the intent to distribute from the -1- slot. When McKennie partners with Leon it is usually a 3-4-1-2 with the intent to attack wide with Leon the more forward distributor in a central double pivot.

Zinkoff, Deeneaus, Patrick167 and 4 others repped this.
  5. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Great post. I noted in CP's thread that Weigl back in the starting lineup and Stogey's realization that a DM can do more than foul and menace changed the team by providing an extra link in the midfield to push forward without losing defensive shape.

WM is not that sophisticated yet. Realistically he might never be. It is a fairly difficult concept one that a certain american has been trying to achieve (and failing): defend, circulate the ball, but focus on attacking passes first.

To be fair, WM was set deeper in this match that you see Weigl, it was his first start in a long time and it was pouring rain. I'll withhold full judgment once I have a bigger game sample.

6. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Shalke seems to me philosophically an ankle-biting team on D. I haven't watched a ton of them this year, but from what I've seen they are not likely to have as much use for a DCM who is as elegant and forward thinking as some other clubs.

7. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Assuming this is a snarky reply, it seems like you think Tedesco couldn't want anything more than what Weston gives him every game. Sure, Weston might be doing what Tedesco tells him to do in prep for the match, but by no means is he playing the position like Tedesco ultimately wants him to.

frankburgers repped this.
  8. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you mean by an ankle-biting team on D? Does Max Meyer who is a #10 that Tedesco converted to a deep distributor DCM ala Pirlo, fit your description?

9. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    As I said I've only seen a few games this year (and it might be interesting to see the foul totals) but Schalke seemed very cynical/deliberate in their fouling/tackling. The ref in the BVB game let a lot go that surprised me. I'm not a particular prude, and I don't even think the strategy is always one to be criticized, but this schalke side seems to "Get stuck in" hard, deeper and more often than other top Bund teams I've watched this year. But again, I'll admit to a relatively small sample size compared to most teams I comment on.

10. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok. I am obviously biased so don't expect an objective evaluation.

Schalke is in a working class/mining region and the character of the club tends to reflect our supporters. We are not FC Hollywood or the Sickly Yellow Team wusses.

We probably are more physical and get stuck in a bit more when we play those two clubs.

11. EricSunRa

EricSunRa Member

FC Dallas
    United States
    Sep 29, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    This was my point all along to the OP talking about Wes's future at Schalke once they buy new players for the CL and to replace the Goretzka and Meyer departures. I'm not so sure that Tedesco sees Wes as a replacement for Goretzka, even though I think he could be. Tedesco's actions, including playing Wes at RB,CB, and various positions in the middle show that he values Wes's versatility.

I've seen plenty of young Jack-of-all-trades players bloom late in their career position due to their usefulness around the field. I've also seen others valued highly with long term contracts but never break into the team. The original point was that he is going to have to battle for his preferred position once Schalke buys some new players now that they have a CL spot for the first time in many years. Especially given that his role has been expanded due to his versatility.

Last time Schalke were in the Champion's League, they had Julian Draxler and Kevin Prince Boateng in MF, along with Goretzka and Meyer in reserve.

12. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I used to watch at lot of Schalke back in the JJ era, and it felt similar. Again, I'm basing it mostly on watching when Wes is on or v. Hamburg or Dortmund. Schalke seems to use physical play as a strategy/tactic - and again, not some harsh criticism, but it does affect how your DCM is likely to show up on a heat map or how they are likely to play. I was just suggesting that tactic might effect somewhat WM's positioning and passing charts.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  13. bpet15

bpet15 Member+

Oct 4, 2016
    19 year old - Bundesliga - Champions League spot

Those three things alone should be enough to realize what Tedesco is doing with him. As I stated earlier in this thread, playing a 6 or 8 at this level takes time and it’s not a skill set a 19 year old walks in with.

Playing him as the pivot could shatter his confidence at this point - no reason to risk it. Let Goretzka or Meyer play in those roles and let Wes give cover - I have no problem with the way he’s being handled.

That being said, hopefully there will be a dead rubber match or two which Tedesco can see what he brings in a pivot role or an advanced role where he is in the ball more.

zlebmada repped this.
  14. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    When you guys start throwing 6,8 and 10s around you might want to study up some on Tedesco. This guy will not put those roles in the spots you typically think they ought to be in. He has some rather unique tactical ideas that on their face seem crazy until you realize he is early thirties and coaching his team into the CL without lots of high dollar star power. That is not nothing.

Just because a midfielder is the farthest forward does not make him a 10 in Tedesco's system, or deepest guy a 6.

Anywho I reckon it is much Adu about nothing since Wes is playing. I did not see this last game because you know life happens. Many posters here suggesting he was not especially sharp in his passing is a symptom of not playing much lately, and young players often wear down at this stage of the season causing performances to drop off some.

15. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Speak of the devil. Meyer off on a free. I don't see this as a great thing for Weston. Competition and learning from peers is vital.
    http://www.espn.com/soccer/soccer-t...max-meyer-to-leave-on-free-transfer-in-summer

16. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman and BostonRed repped this.
  17. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    down to 10 men as Bentaleb is given a straight red. Now will Weston get chances or not?

18. PalmettoSpur

PalmettoSpur Member

Oct 21, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I think, given the score (1-1), you almost have to put Wes on. He provides some athleticism and tenacity defensively, and (when asked) some help offensively. They're only two points ahead of Dortmund (3rd), 4 points ahead of Hoffenheim (4th), and 5 points ahead of Leverkusen (5th). Getting at least a point here would be a win, considering they're down a man.

(I mean, I'd probably make the argument for Wes if they were 5-0 down or 5-0 up, but hush.)

largegarlic, Hobo and DeCoverley repped this.
  19. PalmettoSpur

PalmettoSpur Member

Oct 21, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Wes coming on for Harit.

20. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    Did alright couple pressures, recoveries and (I thought but who scored disagrees) tackles. Nothing much, looked like he was told to sit as a 6 in front of the middle and that is what he did.

wixson7 and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  21. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Bayer crapped the bed today. All Schalke needs is one point from two games, or Bayer to drop points to ensure Champions league action next year.

PalmettoSpur repped this.
  22. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    That was not an eventful 30 minutes. No errors, sat back and just clogged the middle defensively. Couple strong tackles, missed one of his patented sliding poke aways.

I did like, unlike last game, when he had the ball on a break out to the right..he was more composed this time and played it square.

Overall...not much to speak of except getting important minutes.

23. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Kind of a sign of how our expectations have changed with him.

How many of us thought he would get important minutes this season, in August?

sXeWesley and wixson7 repped this.
  24. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i did!!!!

Starman* repped this.
  25. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3275 Dr.Phil, Apr 30, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2018

Meyer's is done at Schalke. He took place in an un-authorized interview with BILD where he spoke out at Christian Heidel after being accused of being motivated by money. he said he turned down their second deal which included more money. Schalke have in turn suspended him from training at the next two games.

He will leave on a free transfer