Spaghetti Weston: McKennie at Juventus

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by hokeydokey, Jul 7, 2016.

1. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he sure didn't prevent it...

freisland and lmorin repped this.
  2. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    Wes would still be in the FCD reserves with a fully intact MCL ;)

freisland and TheFalseNine repped this.
  3. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

New Weston highlight video, get it before it gets marked for copyright infringement.

KenC, Namdynamo, Gacm32 and 4 others repped this.
  4. dd601

dd601 Member

Oct 21, 2004
    schalke has missed his ability to win the ball back in midfield

5. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    What did you think of Bentaleb? He was listed as coming from Tottenham last July for 18m. I don't know anything about him and saw him for first time this week end - if my memory is ok:unsure:

6. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Odd how sometimes you don't know how much a player offers until they aren't there. Assists and goals are easy to see but the defensive side is harder to pick up between players.

7. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    weston seems like he has a body type which leads people to believe hes not going to do as much running and work as he does

8. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't someone post a stat that Weston was one of the poorer tacklers in the league (at least on a numbers basis)?

9. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    My middle school team I coach, has a kid that plays in the 1 in a 4-1-3-2 and it is unbelievable how much difference that one player makes in our squad. He doesn't do so much you just go wow, but you see how much more settled we are with him in that spot. We concede less goals, maintain better spacing, and look more threatening on offense. We at least attempt to play soccer and not bumble bee ball. He always seems to be right where you wanted him just about the time you think of it.

I actually saw him do a tackle flick that I like to call "the McKennie."

He just ran off the guys shoulder as the guy was dribbling the ball and waited for a loose or long touch, accelerated enough to get a foot stuck in, and flicked the ball out to a wide player, pretty much all in motion.

I am high on Weston, and I love how he always seem to be having a good time earning his money.

Deeneaus, adam tash and DeCoverley repped this.
  10. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The popular wisdom is that a defensive player goes unnoticed, he did well; but if an attacking player goes unnoticed, he did badly.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  11. dd601

dd601 Member

Oct 21, 2004
    where is he in his return timetable

12. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    The original thought was six weeks post injury

13. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hopefully back to training soon

14. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    Scary graphic (on whoscored that I don’t know how to post here) for Schalke fans that mirror sentiment, here and by broadcasters, that Schalke is missing a ball winner.

It showed that Vidal had 14 tackles and 17 tackles attempted. Compare that with Schalkes entire midfield that attempted a total of 6 tackles of which 3 were successful. Max Meyer “the holding midfielder” of you will had zero.

Further proof that in order for schalkes midfield to be workable it needs a pit bull in front of Meyer because he is pretty useless defensively.

15. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Not to be horrible but, didn't they lose 3-0 to Bayern at home with McKennie as their ball recoverer a few months ago?

ttrevett repped this.
  16. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    That is not horrible, that is a good point although that occurred in September. My point is that they have no defensive bite, at all right now, and it is apparent and having an impact on the games I have watched. I don’t know if that changes the calculus vs a team like Bayern (20 points ahead of everyone else), but certainly would have against a team like Werder (1 total tackle in the central midfield) or most others.

17. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Bolded is a little bit important.

18. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Was also early on in the season where McKennie was starting to get minutes. I hope he starts training again in 2 weeks.

19. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Well, the talk was about their game today vs. Bayern @ the Allianz. Losing 2-1 to them today in their house is a ton better than losing 0-3 to them @ the Veltins.

20. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I swear context touched you as a child or something.

WrmBrnr, TxEx, UxSxAxfooty and 3 others repped this.
  21. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I think he's not a good fit against a team like Bayern. There's a reason he got subbed early on the first game against them. I'm quite ok with him not playing this particular game today.

22. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Meyer was terrific. They played as well as Bayern but at HT they said Schalke had run 5k more than Bayern. They were tiring towards the end of the first half. I thought Tedesco did a terrific job but ran out of options when it came to subs. It was a very interesting game.

23. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Need the short passing game. Notice how Harit's "balling" game went nowhere when he was subbed in. Also Embolo was less effective when moved off the right wing where he had space and was doing damage. Let's not forget Wes' game against Bayern was early in his career. Very early. In any case he would have been a good sub about same time as Harit came on.

24. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    The responsibilities in Tedesco's midfield are a bit different than what we expect. I do not think Harit is a good fit when Wes is not there. I haven't watched enough of them to say this for certain, but it is my feeling right now.

I hope Wes gets healthy and returns soon. I really enjoy watching him play. He has a youthful exuberance, even if he is a little tank, he reminds me of a puppy. Having a good time and enjoying himself.

25. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First half was excellent from Schalke. They stuck to their plan even a goal down. More teams should look at this performance.