Spaghetti Weston: McKennie at Juventus

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by hokeydokey, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It really depends on the grade of the sprain.

2. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Both were reported as "partial tear" so Grade 2.

3. KenC

KenC Member+

Jun 11, 2003
    Not really the same context, since he apparently had a prior far more serious injury to the same ligament.

"Hagglund had torn the same ligament on May 13, and was making just his second start since returning."

4. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    There was more context in a previous post. Hagglund, in the first injury, had the kind of side of the knee contact (qb's in NFL get it a lot) in his first injury and one could see the knee bending in. He continued playing, like Wes, and a few minutes later sat down because he couldn't continue and came off, like Wes.

KenC repped this.
  5. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's about the level of injury that I expected. Grade 2 MCL sprain is usually what I root for when a bend looks like it could have resulted in a catastrophic injury. Players seldom don't return back to normal before too long. Definitely dodged disaster here. Should have a better outlook then yesterday when some were fearing the worst if not expecting it.

6. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely should use his connections with USA football to seek an independent 2nd opinion from a highly-rated doctor here. Not that German doctors are somehow worse, but the team one has a conflict of interest. If the independent doctor tells you to rest for a full 2 months before it can fully heal then dude should abide. But 6 weeks before training is resumed seems reasonable. Maybe the diagnosis would be different though.

Winoman repped this.
  7. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    KInda sorta good news to hear. Six weeks is better than six months. I'll take it. I cringed and had that sinking feeling watching the injury live. I feared the worse. It's still a signiciant injury but one that Weston should have few problems recovering.

I guess I don't need to head to German with my lead pipe in search of that goon from Hannover now. :D ;)

wixson7 repped this.
  8. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    From the PoV of the injury, it's good news because a MCL sprain is supposed to recover 100% (although, as seen with Hagglund, it can happen again).

From the PoV of timing, this is bad news. He's going to lose two months to prove what he can do, and by the time he returns they may have Goretzka playing 90.

9. usind

usind Member

United States
    Oct 6, 2017
    Just saw the news on my phone and panicked. Hoping for full recovery, fwiw, even Messi had same injury in 2015....

10. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the idea of a blow torch and a pair of pliers.

11. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To some degree he already showed that with his improvement, and in the offseason Goretzka is gone. Selling him is one indicator they are confident in his near future and that he can significantly make up for the loss.

12. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They aren’t really selling Goretzka so much as Goretzka is not resigning with them.

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  13. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    You guys need to lighten up on the Hanover player. It was all on Weston. I hate to be harsh on our boy but it was a dumbass late challenge that had no hope of stopping the ball as it was well gone.

He lazily stuck a leg in, late, the guy tripped and fell on his knee. It was a senseless stupid play, and he knows better. It was a high price he paid for it too, but it was all the way on him.

14. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goretzka is leaving despite Schalke doing everything they could to re-sign him, so this isn't right.

15. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    and nigel de jong was just going to for a normal 50/50 ball.

don't u be bad mouthin' our new favorite savior. he is never at fault.

y-lee-coyote repped this.
  16. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    LOL... I know at some point it will be equivalent to the Shawx tackle on Ramsay. :cool:

I remembered thinking when I saw it "WTH weston that isn't your game stick to your patented tackle flicks!"

wixson7 repped this.
  17. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you should re-examine the slo-mo video provided page back. McKennie is stationary when he is hit; the other guy was falling. Certainly not Weston's fault and not exactly the other guy's either.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  18. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I saw it live, and it happened just like I said, Weston stuck his leg in late after the pass had gone. He was moving towards the guy right before that video shows hm stopping to stick a foot in.

19. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can’t it just be unlucky?

EricSunRa, wixson7, freisland and 2 others repped this.
  20. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    An MCL sprain is absolutely nothing long term. I'm pretty sure 75% of young athletes get one at some point. I had two during my playing days, one occurring in HS football, the other in DIII college baseball (yea I was hot shit!).

A sprain means the ligament was just mildly damaged and will repair itself easily. Usually you stay off it for 2-3 weeks (getting ultrasound and maybe doing some very limited PT) then in week 3 you start to ramp up the PT and by week six you're completely healed and it's like nothing ever happened.

As far as knee injuries go this is about as mild as it gets. Steph Curry came back in like 2 weeks last year in the playoffs, although it was clear he was still slowed ab it.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  21. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    McKennie should be fine. Just gives us ******** all to watch now on the YA front

Gacm32, freisland, KenC and 3 others repped this.
  22. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #3022 Excellency, Jan 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    I believe if you watch the divot and track it backward, you can see that the Hannover player's left foot did not have any spikes making traction because they come up with the divot.

Weston was a bit stiff which I debit to Tedesco, who kept him out long enough to lose match fitness, considering his age, then putting him in as a sub with some insecurities, considering his limited experience.

They are over thinking things, if you ask me.

23. PalmettoSpur

PalmettoSpur Member

Oct 21, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I haven't watched the replay (deliberately), but it sounds like a big part of this situation is Schalke's fault. Their pitch doesn't have much dirt beneath it, meaning players slip more often there than in other arenas. The announcers commented on it earlier this year. That seems like the kind of thing other teams/the league should ask Schalke to resolve.

24. dd601

dd601 Member

Oct 21, 2004
    What are you talking about? Tedesco didn't keep him out too long and cause him to lose match fitness. They were on break. He missed one game and was a sub in this game. He didn't show any insecurities. Indeed he was playing well and was far more involved in his 20 minutes than goretzka was all gane.

It was not wes' fault, tedesco's fault or the hannover playera. It's soccer. People sometimes bang knees and get hurt

Namdynamo, Winoman, DeCoverley and 4 others repped this.
  25. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I blame Jurgen.