The Laws of the Game: Proposed Changes & General Discussion

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by deejay, Aug 28, 2014.

1. svelten

svelten Member

N/A
    Jun 22, 2009
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Going back to this, I think we've just seen in the past few days the first instance of its use in an international competition (at least on the women's side)? USA-Sweden & Brazil-Australia had four subs, which gave USA a free "pass" to sub on and sub off a player (very rarely done), and Australia and Sweden used it to swap in a forward and defender respectively in ET after using 3 subs in regular time.

I don't think it's been used in any men's int'l competition yet - wasn't employed at CA final and there were no ties so far in the 2016 Men's football Olympics. I think it has been used in some relatively minor competitive league matches so far but don't really have much detail on that. I wonder if this rule will end up sticking for future competitions?

2. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I really like the idea of making penalties harder to convert, although that may perversely increase the number of penalties called. I really, really like the idea of giving the referee the power to call either a straight penalty (when a legit goal scoring chance was erased because of foul play in the area) or a free kick (when an attacking player slips on an invisible banana peel in the area).

Penalties (or rather cheating for penalties) is the scourge of the game.

BocaFan repped this.
  3. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yup, I'm pretty sure in practice that it would result in more penalties being awarded. So therefore it would have a negative impact on the game: Refs would be more inclined to call those questionable handballs, while the clear-cut fouls which deny good goal-scoring opportunities wouldn't be properly punished.

4. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Far better in those cases would be for the ref to just play on.

5. TheAnswer1313

TheAnswer1313 Member+

Dec 12, 2007
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    They should just do what they do in the NHL playoffs............no PKs........just play overtimes till someone scores or the other team dies of exhaustion. The team left standing wins lol

6. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Hockey has unlimited substitutions and line shifts.

7. TheAnswer1313

TheAnswer1313 Member+

Dec 12, 2007
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    True lol.

My solution isn't realistic. I still believe anything is better than determining games by penalty shootouts tho

8. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #133 HomietheClown, Aug 22, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
    Maybe play 90 minutes the next day with the Second team vs the Second team. (Each team has 23 players, why not?) :ROFLMAO:

9. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I like penalties, they are exciting. However, I think if it is 0-0 after 120 minutes both teams should get eliminated. A team that lost in penalties after a scored tie should take their spot.

10. svelten

svelten Member

N/A
    Jun 22, 2009
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    What if there was no team that lost in penalties so far in the tournament? It seems a fairer solution but logistically completely impossible.

I'd want to see a slight reward for playing more attacking / less fouling football personally - no coin tosses for the PK, whichever team has had 1. more SOGs or 2. committed fewer fouls to get the choice to choose whether to take the PK first or second (there is some evidence that the team that shoots first has a slight advantage).

Rickdog and AlbertCamus repped this.
  11. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    HomietheClown repped this.
  12. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  13. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    One rule I really like that has been debuted by the Premiere League this season is the automatic yellow if you yell at an official or verbally abuse them in any way.

I would like to see that new law get implemented in all competitions. There is no need to talk to a ref unless you are a team captain. And even then, it just wastes time and is usually disrespectful.

NaBUru38 repped this.
  14. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    this. (hi, xavi). its just annoying when every single match players complain to the ref about a call. the call has been made. in my history of watching the sport, i have never, ever, seen a ref reverse his decision after being yelled at by one or more players on the team that the call was detrimental to. the only remotely logical explanation for players continuing to do this is that it may subconsciously make the ref feel guilty and subconsciously make the next 50/50 call in their favour (albeit, it might just result in the opposite depending on the ref/circumstances of the yelling).

NaBUru38 repped this.
  15. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  16. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    I think this would be a good rule. I get tired of seeing the whole team yelling at refs after a call they disagree with. With that said I don't think all talk should be banned, just whining, complaining, yelling, anything disrespectful, etc. If a player speaks to the ref in a respectful manner with a legit question or comment I do not think it should be banned.

17. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    For many cases, team use this "excuse", only to get some playing time being wasted

18. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    Rules body accelerates VAR towards its debut at Russia World Cup 2018

Video assistance was introduced to support referees for “game-changing” decisions for the first time in a FIFA competition at the Club World Cup in Japan in December. The four areas covered were disputed goals and penalties, red cards and cases of mistaken identity and although the system had its teething troubles, Infantino would like to see the technology fine-tuned in time for the World Cup.

“It is realistic for us (to use it at the World Cup) ... We will use it for sure in the Confederations Cup, the Under-20 World Cup and the Club World Cup. VAR is positive because it will allow the right decision to be taken in a game-changing circumstance.”

FIFA will test the technology with all the candidates to be World Cup referees before IFAB decides whether to give it the green light for Russia.

19. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #144 HomietheClown, Mar 5, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
    I am going to sound like I am whining here but it is more venting in a composed way...
    ...Video Replay has to be finely tuned before they apply it in a World Cup in my opinion.
    In the Club World Cup they called a penalty that was controversial to say the least that changed the whole complexion of the outcome. And it was called about 2 minutes after it was supposedly committed. In my opinion there should be a time frame like in American football to challenge , and certainly not after the ball is "snapped" or kicked in the other direction. IT breaks up the flow of the game and makes things drag. Not to mention it confuses the players and coaches for the rules officials to analyze things things way after the run of play has been restarted.

NaBUru38, BocaFan and AlbertCamus repped this.
  20. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    Man in the van at France - Spain ... not bad at all ... will make it harder to bribe refs ... obviously deeply corrupt individuals have complained ... take note, who's crooked or not

[​IMG]

21. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member+

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    My video referee rules:

o- The game cannot be stopped for a video revision. It can only be consulted on game stoppage.
    o- If the main referee sees a dubious play, he will make a challenge sign, but let the game continue until another stoppage happens.
    o- If a team wants to complain about a play that the referee ignore, they will makle a challenge sign to the referee and wait until a game stoppage.
    o- If video is dubious, the original call should be kept. Therefore, if the referee made the challenge, the call will be done, and if a team made the challenge, the call will be discarded.

22. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Video replay system going live in the Australian A League from this weekend. Any player that asks for a revue will get a yellow card.
    http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s/news-story/d2de096acdd5bfde7f4685923abb40dc

A-LEAGUE referees insist they welcome the world-first introduction of video technology, which will mean their major decisions will be instantly reviewed from this weekend.

Australia will become the first nation to bring in video assistant referees (VAR) into an elite domestic league from this coming round, as part of FIFA’s global experiment.

A VAR with access to up to 12 screens will instantly review decisions relating to goals, penalties, direct red cards and mistaken identity, and report any clear-cut errors to the main referee.

Though fears have been raised it will diminish the authority of the main referee, as well as hold the game up, Jarred Gillett — one of the A-League’s three fulltime referees — said he and his colleagues would much prefer to correct a major error immediately than have it highlighted at length after affecting the result. ....

23. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    More stories.

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au...-assistant-referees/aowf9nq8y5v21myqm95z6rxa1

The Hyundai A-League will become the first top-level domestic football league in the world to implement the Video Assistant Referee (VAR) system when Melbourne City FC host Adelaide United at AAMI Park this Friday evening to start Round 26.
    After more than a year of preparation, testing and training of VARs and operators, Football Federation Australia (FFA) believes the VAR system is ready to be rolled out in professional football.

FFA CEO David Gallop said the historic use of VAR technology in the Hyundai A-League was a significant milestone for the game in Australia and beyond.

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au...at-you-need-to-know/xdrfhoau58df1pxa7te2umruf

HOW WILL IT WORK?

Every Hyundai A-League game will have a VAR assigned.
    The VAR will view the game from a video operations room with access to up to 12 camera angles.
    If the VAR sees a clear error has been made, he will communicate that to the on-field referee.
    The on-field referee will then have the opportunity to ask for the decision to be reviewed by the VAR.
    Upon review, the decision will potentially be overturned by the referee.

WHAT CAN THE VAR RULE ON?

The VAR can rule on four different categories of "key match incidents"…

Goals
    Did the ball cross the line, was there a foul or an offside missed in the build-up to the goal or did the ball go out of play in the build-up?

Penalty incidents
    Was a foul committed inside or outside the penalty area, has a penalty been missed or has one been wrongly awarded?

Direct red cards
    Was a potential send-off missed or was a red card wrongly issued?

Mistaken identity
    Was a yellow or red card awarded to the wrong player?

AlbertCamus repped this.
  24. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    In another first during the Wellington - Sydney match on the weekend a penalty kick was awarded on video review after a handball in the box was missed by the on field officials.

25. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    On penalties, what I like to see is a rule that differentiates between infractions in the penalty box that prevent a dangerous chance and those that don't. In the latter case, instead of a penalty, an indirect freekick should be awarded. In the former case, a penalty under the same rules is fine. Basically, the majority of the penalties now awarded (perhaps 60%) fall in the category which I like an indirect freekick instead. But there are clearly infractions which interfere with a dangerous scoring opportunity which do merit a penalty. The implication of what I propose is seeing more of the fouls in the penalty box being called, while having fewer sides be gifted a goal which they couldn't earn based on the run of play.