The Laws of the Game: Proposed Changes & General Discussion

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by deejay, Aug 28, 2014.

1. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  2. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why need this if Conmebol has the new policy of only having extra time in the actual final?

3. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Video replays could be used at the 2018 World Cup, new FIFA president Gianni Infantino said Tuesday
    http://www.usnews.com/news/sports/a...esident-infantino-makes-first-visit-to-russia

"The use of video will be restricted to referees ruling whether a goal has been scored, a penalty should be awarded and a player should be sent off as well as cases of mistaken identity. A large multi-camera operation will be required for games where video assistance is used."

4. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I wonder if something like the Suarez biting situation could be reviewed. He should have been sent off against Italy.

5. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I don't think Suarez thing would be changed because nobody saw it and there was no break in the action. In that case, he can (and did) get a suspension after the fact.

I could see this being good, but I hope they keep this to the three situations mentioned and don't let it become the nightmare that is American football.

Rickdog repped this.
  6. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I wonder if circles are harder for the ref to tell when is in or out of the box, straight lines and right angles are easier in that sense. I was thinking of that after watching the Leicester game.

7. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
  8. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I think I would not mind this.
    Maybe to specify the rule any hand ball within the small box area should be reviewed to be an automatic goal.

9. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    It would have to be blatant hand-ball though. The first-step is for FIFA to provide clarity on what is a hand-ball because right now its all a big mystery. That's far more important than any penalty goal discussion as there's almost an incident every match.

10. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    For me you can just say any hand ball in the 6 yard box is a Goal Period.
    That can make it less subjective.

11. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Problem with that is if someone does a "Suarez" move 7 yards outside of the goal-line it won't be a penalty goal, and OTOH if the ball isn't even travelling towards the net but hits an arm within the 6-yard box then it would be a penalty goal.

That's why I think the condition should be: "denies a clear goal". If the ball is flying towards an empty goal, why should it matter where the defender or goalkeeper is?

12. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It would be a bit more difficult to determine live. But with video assistance I can see your idea becoming a reality.

13. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Just score the penalty! Its not a that hard. Penalty and a red card is plenty enough punishment.

14. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Homie, on this one we agree! I think a 4th sub in extra time is good because it normalizes the regular time. Teams don't have to save their 3rd sub in case the game goes into extra time- that will avoid knockout games where neither teams seems to be pressing during the last 20 minutes of regular time.

15. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    The only down side I can see to it is if teams use it to bring in 4 defenders throughout a match just to keep it at 0-0 and send it to penalties.

That would drive me bananas.

16. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
  17. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #93 SJJ, Jun 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
    Major League Soccer part of "Video Assistant Referee" pilot.

http://www.fifa.com/about-fifa/news...nt-referee-experiments-announced-2799518.html

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/...selected-begin-trials-test-video-replays-game

And, oh, yeah, the new Laws of the Game came into effect on June 1.

http://www.fifa.com/development/education-and-technical/referees/laws-of-the-game.html

The Asia site had a version previously posted, which has a file size of half of the new version on FIFA: http://www.the-afc.com/uploads/afc/files/laws-of-the-game-2016-17.pdf

AlbertCamus repped this.
  18. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    This probably deserves its own thread, but I hope they are very cautious about video replay. I actually stopped getting season tickets to my college football team because I found the games getting unwatchable, mostly too long due to video replay and other stops. It's only sports, make a call and go with it.

BocaFan repped this.
  19. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Couldn't agree more. "Unwatchable" is the word, alright. I don't think soccer could ever get that bad though. The stop-and-go nature of American football and baseball makes it very convenient to look at a video replay since the play is already stopped. But damn is it ever bad. As if baseball isn't slow enough?

I think the worst soccer could ever get is what its like in the NHL now. Which essentially means things like the Ramos goal in the CL final would get reviewed, but not every little decision that a ref or linesman makes.

AlbertCamus repped this.
  20. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't think it will take away from the game. In fact it may speed things up in some cases. We have seen many times in which those controversial calls take up a bunch of time due to the Ref going over to his linesman trying to talk about what happened. Then the players on each team go over and try to argue with those refs or lobby their cases.

In this new technological scenario they can just review up stares in quick time and buzz down to the Ref, tell him what happened in his ear and the players will never really know.

21. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Personally I'm wary of the video guy upstairs making subjective decisions. Obviously there are some clear-cut examples like the Suarez bite against Italy. But others like determining if a clear goal-scoring opportunity was denied or whether something was an intentional handball or accidental can be quite subjective. And just because some guy upstairs has access to slo-mo replays doesn't necessarily mean that he has better information than a referee standing 10 feet away watching in real-time.

In any event, subjective decisions are a bit more complicated than "a buzz down to the Ref". A conversation is most definitely required.

Of course in soccer most decisions are subjective. Its quite different to American sports in that way where its black and white as to whether a guy stepped out-of-bounds or the clock expired before the guy shot the ball, etc. (using basketball as an example)

22. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    If there are many people up in the booth watching various angles then decisions can be made faster.
    And going back to my point about the teams wasting time and arguing, we have seen in baseball less of those situations since the umpires say "hey, don't argue with me argue with the guys in new york".
    In similar fashion the Ref can say "hey the people up in the booth with 35 cameras saw you do it, stop arguing or you will get a red too."

23. JLSA

JLSA Member

Nov 11, 2003
    Because nothing speeds up decision making quite like a committee?

J

24. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    The committee on the field when a ref walks over to linesmen is worse. The players are all acting like they are Perry Mason trying to convince a judge of their case.

With technology they can see something without having to deal with all the talk and crap player antics.