The Laws of the Game: Proposed Changes & General Discussion

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by deejay, Aug 28, 2014.

1. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    The Guardian podcast discussed this the other week. The issue is the offside rule was invented so the field would not get too stretched, it was not designed to be so exact. I'm not against VAR by the way, but I think we should not be looking for parts of a body as the current rule is interpreted, but rather the position of the core of the body. In other words, back to "even is on" even if the attack has already stepped in the direction of goal.

In general, I don't want, for instance, a goal being called back because the attack started with a short throw at the halfway line and it is realized on replay that the throwers foot was on the line. I think we can all agree that we don't want American football, with endless video ref reviews and entertainment sacrificed to exactness.

Did you see the Real Madrid v Ajax game the yesterday? For me, it took too long to determine the (3rd) Ajax goal should be allowed and that the AR was not wrong in not calling the ball out of bounds on the sideline. It should take only a few seconds to determine not if the ball was out of bounds, but the AR had not made an obvious error. If the ball was out, it was not obviously out enough to overturn the AR's on the field decision.

I wrote this, before I sent it I took a work call, while on the call, out of the side of my eye, I saw the end of the ManU v PSG game - ManU just got a penalty awarded via VAR. Forget everything I said, I friggin HATE var!!

2. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Ha. that is what I just saw. i agree.

3. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Except for the fact that there are several natural motions (jumping in the air, sliding) where arms natural rise close to or above the level of the shoulders.

The whole "unnatural arm position" concept ignores basic kinesiology.

4. tudobem62014

tudobem62014 Member+

Feb 26, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Var so laughable.
    Just helps who big money wants to help.

Handball Marcos rojo...

Does it help the bigger $$$ team win...
    Argentina > Nigeria
    No pk awarded

Hand ball kimpembe...

Does it help the bigger $$$ team win...
    Manchester United $ > PSG$
    Pk awarded

Hazard gets taken out by Giroud in the semifinal of the WC outside the box

We’ll just ignore that no VAR needed

Neymar gets a hand to the face

We’ll just ignore that no VAR needed

They tried so hard to use VAR to stop Ajax beating Real Madrid but couldn’t find a legit way to do it lol.

European soccer is a farce about $

Before it was giving pks and cards (subjective bs easy to sway the game)

Now to be able to control the outcome even more they introduce VAR lol.

European soccer isn’t by itself... if anyone watched the Saints non pass interference call in the NFC championship game American sports just as corrupt.

NBA too... Lebron James Cavs won after giving the Cavs a million fouls one game and suspending draymond another

Pro sports is not the Olympics. $ is involved and so that $ sways who wins.

100% sure England wins the World Cup 2022 in Qatar cause Arabian peninsula is British / American interests / territory

5. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #280 HomietheClown, Mar 7, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    People are just going to have to adapt. VAR has only been around for what.... ...a year now? It will get better and applied faster as the years go by.

People also have to come to the conclusion that with the nature of VAR we are going to have plays that appear like goals only to be taken back because it is easier for linesmen to keep their flags down and not stop play. It sure beats the alternative which is to raise your flag only to have video says it was not offside then that would make less goals appear in the end. (Because some players would stop attacking as soon as they hear a whistle or see the flags raised.)

6. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #281 HomietheClown, Mar 7, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    I would not say several natural positions where an arm naturally rises. It seems mostly when they are jostling and wrestling with their opposing player that they are marking when the arms go up.
    Many defenders are taught to go up with their hands behind your back in certain instances.

But I agree there are some situations with a grey area as we saw last night in Paris. And that is up to the discretion of the ref.

7. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I agree. And for the most part it made the World Cup better, it stopped obvious bad decisions. Although I'm not convinced it will get faster or better unless fans express the desire for it to be faster. We saw it get slower and used more often in American Football over the years as the leagues sought "perfection" in each call. That is what I fear happens to soccer. This week's Champions League examples are not encouraging - especially the one in the Real Madrid - Ajax game.

8. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Some have pointed out around here that Rugby has had their replay speed up since its inception. I am expecting football to follow that parallel and not American sports.

9. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Looks like we have one of the most controversial VAR case studies to date in the Nations League.

Incredible turn of events.

10. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  11. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Cheeky Headline.

12. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  13. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Very interesting.
    I am not sure I like it for League play (Clubs) or Group Stage matches (Countries).
    But I do like the idea for Cups and Knockout stages though. The 4th sub rule is cool starting in extra time & I would not mind a 5th. Could help minimize penalty shootouts with extra fresh legs out there.

14. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  15. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #290 HomietheClown, Apr 28, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
    According to Fox Sports 1 FIFA is considering allowing teams to use five subs in 90 minutes and a sixth in knockout competitions in order to "?prevent injuries" once this Coronavirus stuff is over.

They then go on to say that if the extra subs are approved by the International Football Association Board that they could be applied to all competitions.

I am all for it.
    I have been posting around here that I am at proponent of adding extra subs in modern football for health and safety reasons. Especially with all the matches players are forced to do for Clubs these days.
    And it is also a good way to help matches from ending in draws with extra fresh legs coming off the bench to try and score.

What i am most intrigued by is how this would effect National team competitions.

More subs could help out the deeper rosters who have better players to choose from on the bench,
    (Which I am all for too. )
    I think deeper teams should be allowed to use their depth to their advantage.

16. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I am not a fan. It helps the richer clubs which have deeper rosters, I like upsets. Plus it makes the game choppy for two reasons - the substitution itself disrupts the game, but also the subs themselves, who have a different energy to the other players. Plus, I like how much pressure soccer, with it's limited substitutions, puts on coaches. Every decision, from starting lineup to how to use subs, matters. Finally, subs come on to score goals, but also to protect leads, so I don't know if this will increase or decrease scoring. I think 3 subs (with an extra allowed for games that go to extra time) is perfect.

17. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I also appreciate a good upset but when it it mostly teams just playing for a 0-0 and getting a bit fortunate it seems to lose its luster with me.
    Deeper teams should not be punished because they are deeper and more skillful. People in general want to see great players out there and this could be a way for the great teams to showcase more of the skillful players.

Initial reports are saying that FIFA will revert back to less subs but I think there can be a happy medium.
    They have already applied a 4th sub for Major tournaments that go into extra time. I do not think having a 5th or even a 6th would damage the game all that much.
    (As I alluded to before it may cause less matches to go to penalties.)

18. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I agree I like the 4th sub for extra time in major tournaments. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree and see what happens if they do it (and probably argue about it then).

19. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  20. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    https://theathletic.com/1916203/2020/07/08/five-subs-rule-ifab-liverpool-villa-grealish-dean-smith/

For those with an athletic subscription.

Oliver Kay: Five subs favours elite and may lead to a talent drain – just ask Villa

It looks like the 5 sub rule is here to stay. I'm against, it favors bigger clubs, but I've tried to keep an open mind about it. I've not watched a lot of matches since the restart, mostly just highlights; but what I've seen/gathered has not convinced me to support this.

21. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I think with health issues and concussions and all the people complaining about a congested FIFA calendar it is only a logical way to ease things going forward.

I agree that it may help good, deep rosters a bit however, I have heard the contrary.

For instance there was an article somewhere that mentioned how teams that play tiki-taka like Barca and Man city who rely on dominant times of possession are not benefiting at all by 5 subs. Teams like that usually try to keep the ball and make opposing teams chase so that by the end of the match they are just simply too tired to keep up.
    Adding a couple more subs seems to nullify that a bit (at least that was the premise of the article. Still need some time to see the long term ramifications and how tacticians and players react and adjust.)

AlbertCamus repped this.
  22. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Fair comments. Looked at the article again and see that it's likely decided to keep this for next season (not permanently yet, as I originally posted). I still think it feels choppy, but also all the games I've seen have water breaks, so everything feels like a youth tournament. So more time and evidence to judge I guess but so far I'm against.

HomietheClown repped this.
  23. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I know CONMEBOL hates this rule so they will fight tooth and nail to revert back to 3 subs.

24. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Man United was awarded a penalty after the Final Whistle had been blown.

I have never seen that before. Is that the first time a Final Whistle is not actually a Final whistle? (I think maybe there could have been some situation where a linesman ran up to the Ref after the whistle and the game resumed but it seems rare.)

Also , is that the first time VAR had been used after the Finale whistle?

25. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I recall that in Germany last season a Bundesliga game had to be resumed after the players had returned to the changing rooms because the VAR had detected a potential error which the referee, after reviewing, decided to change his decision, but I think that was at HT.

Every Four Years and HomietheClown repped this.