The latest Jim Rome rant... and he is pi***sed off...

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by DoyleG, Aug 15, 2002.

1. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    Do you know what the biggest turnoff is about soccer in the US?

The fans. And as long as Jim Rome continues to get the whining, bitching feedback that he always gets from soccer fans when he rips the sport, the fans will continue to be the biggest drawback of Soccer in the US.

I contrast the fans of NASCAR, when that was still a fringe sport. Constantly ripped as white trash rednecks, the fans as a whole either ignored the bashing, or even better, embraced the image and became an inclusive group where everyone was invited. Contrast that to the snobbery of soccer fans, who believe that because of their fandom they are entitled to an innumerable amount of special considerations. Hell, just look around here at BS to certain posters who believe that because they have posted on BS a set amount of times, they have more authority to speak on the sport than someone else. What a farce.

Laugh at Rome. No, laugh with Rome. Enjoy him. His stuff is actually funny most of the time. Much of what he has to say about the sport is true, some of it isn't, but can still be learned from.

2. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jim Rome has no idea how the FIFA rankings work. No one does.

The US makes it into the Top 10 tied with Italy and Jim Rome puts it on his website and I assume talks about it on his show. What's bad about that?

He can rant or pretend to rant all he likes, but what he is doing is advertisng that the US is now in the company of respected soccer powers. We are now guilty by association. All the "I hate soccer folks " who hate it because they think we suck (which is a big Rome audience) now have no ammo. Thanks to Rome.

These two sentences: "...Italy worships long-haired, injury-faking, mullet wearers. None of the aforementioned applies to us....This isn’t bad news, it’s awful news. I’ve more than done my part in the struggle to rid this country of soccer, have I not?"

strike me as severly tongue-in-cheek.

I have never before bought into the fact that Rome secretly loves soccer. But it is getting more and more obvious that he has no problem raising the visbility of the sport, if only to give himself fodder to knock it down. My guess is he has no problems with the rise of soccer in the USA.

And just wait till his kid gets older and starts to play. Then what's he going to - rip on his kid? I doubt it.

3. photar74

photar74 New Member

Jun 25, 2002
    West Philly
    What does the word "deserve" mean?

4. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Actually, it was noticed by and talked about by much of the mainstream national media.

Rome is Rome. Nutmeg is right. Much of the problem with soccer in this country is the winey fans.

5. WarrenWallace

WarrenWallace Member

Mar 12, 1999
    Beer and Cheese
    Nutmeg - pretty good post there.

6. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nutmeg -- have to agree with you. I still don't understand why people get upset about Rome and his ilk. They rip everything.

Sachin

7. kwikstah

kwikstah New Member

Jul 2, 2002
    You have a Nielsen box?

8. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Because he loves ratings

9. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Everything you have said is true and well thought out. We're going to have to ask you to leave immediately.

10. fire1

fire1 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dear Jim
    Learn to like soccer
    Bud Selig

11. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Have one of these on me.

12. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No Rome is still an arse. While he made some true statements, such as the one about not having won anything, he is actually incorrect. Has the USA not won the Gold Cup? Granted it's not the World Cup, but then all those other teams that haven't won a World Cup don't deserve anything either. So in my opinion he is wrong and the USA has earned their position among the FIFA rankings. They made it to the quarterfinals of the 2002 World Cup, won the Gold Cup in 2002 and did well in the Confederations Cup and finally got the monkey off their backs by winning in Honduras during the hex. Interesting how Holland still remains highly ranked even though they haven't won a World Cup.

While the FIFA rankings may be flawed, somebody has to fill those top ten positions.

So while little Jimmy rants on to get ratings and pander to Joe Six-Pack fans against football, he is still a sad sack for putting down the USAs National Team. He should at least be ranting about how the Americans are coming to school others in football. This would seem more in line with his target audience. He doesn't have to like the sport, although I think he does inside. Sad, no congrats to the USA for finally stepping up, just plain " I've done everything I can to rid the country of soccer" crap. What the hell is the guy like during the Olympics? I'm not a track and field fan but I still cheer for the USA regardless. Even the President of The United States of America had the team at the White House. Put that in your pipe and smoke it Jimmy.

I'm not a NASCAR fan at all. But when you talk with them you can get the same kind of snobbery one thinks they find in football fans. And when it was a fringe "sport" it also got no recognition just like soccer.

13. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the shoe fits... ;)

14. Kryptonite

Kryptonite Fancy Title Here

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They do take games from the past 7 (or however many) years.

I, unfortuantely, do not know Mexico's and the US's performance compared against each other's over the past 7 years. The US stunk in WC 98 and Mexico????

15. Kryptonite

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if we're #9 in the world, i'll take that anyday.. yeah, i know some people think the system might be flawed, but aren't all systems flawed?

16. Kryptonite

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    perhaps the wanker should just quit now.

weak joke:

what's the difference between soccer fans and everyone else?

soccer fans watch their team live at 2:30, 5:00 and 7:30 AM. Everyone else just tapes it for the next day.

17. LatinPartisan

LatinPartisan New Member

Jul 7, 2002
    New York City
    Del ******************! A masterpiece! If all soccer fans in the US would be in that way

18. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok so I stumbled onto Rome's program Sunday morning. I lasted about three minutes. I couldn't even laugh at him. He is a bore. He speaks like William Shatner playing Captain Kirk on Star Trek(the Saturday Night Live version which really is very sad tolistento). His rant went on about the Ted Williams family stuff. So after turning him off, I got to thinking about the title here and then laughed, when isn't the chump pissed off? Here is a guy that seems to be happy only when he's angry. I have never sent anything to his e-mail, just posted here about what a chump he is and will always be in my opinion. He really isn't that entertaining and I fail to see what others find soooo entertaining.

19. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
  20. I am just sick of all of the ignorance. It pains me to see professional broadcasters make so many incorrect generalizations about soccer, and indirectly (or not) its fans. The earlier comments about NASCAR fans are good ones, but they don't really apply because NASCAR is an American sport. We American soccer enthusiasts are fighting for respect on a world scale. I realize that people in other countries probably do not tune in to ESPN or Fox Sports Net, but I do not think that we need to have our own, mostly ignorant public, biased against us by the many, many disparaging remarks about soccer that you see on TV. I realize that people have rights to their opinions, but if these a$$holes can't take just one month of soccer every four years, than they are immature bigots. I have to sit through an hour of baseball highlights and coverage on A-Rod's cup just to see thirty seconds of MLS once a week. Jim Rome was not being sarcastic, he is just a typical American meathead who probably couldn't kick a beach ball into the ocean from two feet away. We need people to respect soccer for it to survive, and all these guys do is bring it down. You can call me a whiny fan, but if you did it to my face I would knock you out...the same thing I would do to Jim Rome or whomever else told me that soccer is a sport just for girls and those with "alternative" lifestyles. I'd like to see them give their "opinions" in a supporters section in Chi-town or LA. How harmless would they be then?

21. Omahacrew

Omahacrew New Member

Apr 22, 2001
    Who is this Jim Rome fellow and why do I need to care?? Sounds like some loudmouth sitting on his arse that never played a game in his life...what I have heard called a Jocksniffer. If he could tell me one sport that he ever adequately competed in then maybe I would listen....anything just one...darts, bowling, pocket pool...anything. I would fight him if I saw him.

22. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
  23. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whatever. Rome is right about the FIFA rankings.

I still say he still gives head for heroin in his spare time.

24. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    The article was pretty funny if you ask me. I don't think the guy actually hates football after reading that. It seems like he just gets a rise out of people's reactions to what he says. I mean, that looks like blatant parady really.

You also have to ask yourself, if he wasn't interestied in the sport, why would he spend so much focus on it? Certainly there would be other things in AMerican sports to talk about.

25. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Just read a few more articles on that site.

The guy is freakin' hilarious. :D Why do people get so angry about what he's saying + take him so seriously? He's taking all the US fans that get wound up about him for a royal ride... and enjoying it. I wouldn't be surprsied if the guy logged onto the boards just to see it.

He follows the sport. It's never been a secret really... he had WC updates and everything. So just leave the guy alone, look at the site from time to time and have a laugh.