The latest sedition of, Fox News actively makes you stupid

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by superdave, May 23, 2012.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    That's a name I've not heard in a long time.

2. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Image doesn't appear for me. Does that mean you were invisible, like a ninja?

3. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Mos eilikely because into exile he went...

song219 repped this.
  4. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Meh....I counted all my fingers and toes and figgered I've been out of the loop for eighteen years! :ninja:

5. roby

roby Member+

Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Well....I understand you're still wearing the eyeglasses you got from one of the Hanson brothers....It's probably time you upgraded. :)

[​IMG]

Naughtius Maximus and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  6. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    fyp to make it go with the [space] convo. 30,000 Galactic Credits say you won't get the Han of it.

7. roby

roby Member+

Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Well, in those days I went Solo! :)

Q*bert Jones III and dapip repped this.
  8. roby

roby Member+

Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Y'know...the more I think about it...Han is not the one to worry about. Hope is the dangerous one! :cautious:

dapip repped this.
  9. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    #2459 usscouse, Apr 28, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
    Hey kids, I had it pretty good starting in the Liverpool shipyards at 15. (About 1952) The school suggested I didn't come back for my final year. They just didn't appreciate my humour.
    It was a 49 hour workweek back then. 5- 9hour days and 4 hours Sat morning.
    We did lofting in a hangar like building then laid the sheets of steel out, marking the sheet for drilling and welding. Making access holes for the plumbers and electricians.
    Bloody heavy work for the men, for a 15 year old it was brutal at first. Mostly fetch and carry for the tradesmen and help with the heavy stuff. At 16 I became an apprentice for the next 5 years. They did send me to tech college one day and 3 nights a week.
    So much fun!

I met one of the kids I coached a while back. He was 18 working the summer before college in the local market. It was in the afternoon of his first day of helping to stock shelves and he was knackered almost out on he's feet. Told me it was the hardest thing he'd ever done. I found later that it was his last day. It's a hard life these days.

I was going to mention I had to walk 5 miles to work and home in the evening. Uphill both ways. Oh and I had shoes for when it snowed. But I won't.

roby, Naughtius Maximus and flowergirl repped this.
  10. roby

roby Member+

Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Damn....you had shoes!!! :eek:

11. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Jeez! You guys had feet?

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  12. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Slapshot, eh?

THAT was a good film :)

crazypete13, Dr. Wankler and roby repped this.
  13. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    So... part-time work, was it? :giggle:

I worked 6 days a week after my old man started the business. I also only had christmas day, boxing day, new years eve and new years day off. That was for the first 8 years.

Under the circumstances, (I'm a right lazy bastard), I thought that was pretty good. :)

14. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You people don't know anything about hard work. Donald Trump is the hardest working man in the world now that he is President. He only golfs on most weekends, and he can only devote 8 hours a day to watching cable news, sometimes only 6. He constantly has people asking him to read things, no matter how many times he says no. And they expect him to be on Twitter at all times. It's so much more than he did before as the hardest working CEO that it's mindboggling. And he doesn't just have the single job of running the world, oh no. He is essentially in university as well, learning about the world and policy and treaties, all things no one ever knew before. He also has to spend time campaigning for 2020, as he did today speaking to the NRA. He even has to teach the press about his amazing Presidential election victory, reminding them every day because they are mentally retarded and just won't learn.

You people should be in awe of him.

15. roby

roby Member+

Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Well...when I finally reached my destination I not only experienced the thrill of victory but also the agony of de feet! :coffee:

Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  16. roby

roby Member+

Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Family ties in business is great but I'm surprised it took you all of 8 years to shove your old man out. :ninja:

17. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Awe or awww...poor thing

18. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't know what you guys are complaining about. Growing up, my summer job was at a place like this:
    [​IMG]

When that ocean breeze stopped, it was like hell.

sitruc and dapip repped this.
  19. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those ********ing low clouds in the morning, God damn it. Sometimes they didn't burn off until 10:30 or 11 AM.

sitruc, soccernutter, roby and 2 others repped this.
  20. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    My wife used to teach at a college in the town where it was filmed. From ten years ago to five years ago.

Time has not helped it much.

roby and crazypete13 repped this.
  21. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    The saying "PA = Philly & Pittsburgh with Alabama in the middle" still holds.

22. roby

roby Member+

Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    The town or the film? :unsure:

23. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The town. The film? Well, this article is about right...

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/why-slap-shot-is-the-perfect-1970s-sports-movie-w468651

Much of its innate authenticity is due to an excellent script by Nancy Dowd, who based the story (and its eyebrow-singeing dialogue) on her brother Ned's brief career as a minor league hockey player. Her sibling, who makes a brief appearance in the film as the dreaded enforcer Ogie Ogilthorpe, played for the Johnstown Jets of the North American Hockey League; at his sister's behest, he often set up a tape recorder in the Jets' locker room and on team bus rides, in order to capture the hilarious off-color repartee of his teammates. While Slap Shot's violence is certainly reminiscent of the brutal brand of play that characterized the NHL during the mid-1970s – as epitomized by the ruthless Philadelphia Flyers, a.k.a. the "Broad Street Bullies" – all of the film's fight scenes, even the one where the Hansons charge into the crowd in search of a guy who hit one of them with a set of keys, were based on actual incidents involving the Jets.

But Dowd's script also accurately depicts the crushing tedium of life in the minors. Slap Shot’s Charlestown Chiefs spend most of their downtime in seedy dives, diners and motel rooms, watching game shows or soap operas while drinking away their boredom and dreaming of better things. (In the words of Brad Sullivan’s delightfully sleazy Morris Wanchuk, "Here's to all that gorgeous snatch in F-L-A!") The Chiefs' wives have it even worse; at least their husbands get to work out their frustrations on the ice. As Shirley Upton (Swoosie Kurtz) puts it, "I only drink in the afternoon. Or before a game. Or when Johnny's away."

While some of Slap Shot's characters are undeniably cartoonish, others clearly reflect how Americans were grappling issues of personal identity and self-fulfillment in the wake of the sexual revolution, the feminist movement and the psychedelic awakening of the 1960s. A decade earlier, a woman like Lily Braden probably wouldn't have given a second thought to following her husband from Princeton University to a small working-class city like the fictional Charlestown, Pennsylvania. But with the U.S. divorce rate spiking hard at that point, she would have certainly given serious thought to leaving her husband rather than endure another stifling season as a hockey wife. And then there's Chiefs player Dave "Killer" Carlson (Jerry Houser), who's completely down with Dunlop's new strategy of provoking fights, yet also finds inspiration and peace in the "positive-thinking" records of Swami Baha – a riff on the self-actualization cults like EST and the Source Family that were massively popular during the 1970s.​

24. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  25. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    sitruc, Sudžuka and dapip repped this.