The latest sedition of, Fox News actively makes you stupid

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by superdave, May 23, 2012.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I once worked for a douchebag racist inherited-the-business-from-daddy buffoon. Born with a silver spoon, figured that made him admirable. Yeah not so much. Bu sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Sure was glad when that gig ended.

sitruc repped this.
  2. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I have had terrible bosses, but they were never what Fox News appears to be. This isn't someone being overworked, set up to fail, etc.

Women and Minorities appear to have been treated in a way that lacked basic decency.

There is a difference between crappy job/boss and being treated with some respect/dignity.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  3. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    My boss screened resumes for black names and addresses. If somebody got through the screen, then he would let that person fill out the application, then drop it in the trash after he left.

He was an enthusiastic Republican, belonged to a golf course that didn't permit Jews, the usual. Not that the Republican appeal is based on racism, oh no I would never say such a wicked thing. Or even hint of it.

4. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure he was just economically anxious.

5. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got you beat! I once worked for one of Sheldon Adelson's companies. One year they didn't give out the customary $250 year-end holiday bonuses because "times are tight and we all have to tighten our belts." Then in January, he drives up in a brand-new, powder blue Rolls Royce. 3 days later, someone smashed a jar of paint thinner on the hood. It literally could have been anyone. Well, maybe any of the 2/3 of the employees who were not relatives or close family friends, that is...
    I guess my second cousin, Maynard Jones (who looks like William H. Macy, the main character in the movie Fargo), wouldn't have made the cut. Neither would Tanisha Johnson and Sharifa Smith, two white women I worked with at previous jobs.

Auriaprottu, soccernutter and Gamecock14 repped this.
  6. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    He was. He laid off junior staff members in December 1987, two weeks before Christmas, because his stock portfolio had lost value. That was how I lost my first job. As brave entrepreneurs went ... he wasn't.

And yeah of course. He was tone deaf. The big man met with me personally to let me know how tough the decision was to let me go on December 15th, but things were hard, you know. Then he cheered up and told me about where he was taking the family in Florida for their annual winter vacation.

7. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    No, they wouldn't have made the cut. Tanisha and Sharifa, eh? Could have fooled me.

8. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    #2408 Cascarino's Pizzeria, Apr 26, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    After the Bushpocalypse of 2008, I worked a few crummy jobs just to have a paycheck & benes. None worse than a firm in NYC. They were known as the inventor of the first money market fund. Although what I did had nothing to do with that. To get a feel of what complete asshats dad & sonny boy were during the 2008 meltdown, read this. Of course the old man was a Republican.

[​IMG]
    Photo: Buck Ennis

BENTS OUT OF SHAPE: The feds say Reserve's Bruce Bent Sr. (pictured) and Bruce Bent II misled investors last fall during a two-day, $40 billion run on their money funds.

The evening of Sept. 15, 2008, was the worst of Bruce Bent II's career. Panicked investors, who woke up that Monday morning to news of Lehman Brothers' bankruptcy, had yanked billions of dollars out of the money-market fund Mr. Bent ran with his father, money-market fund inventor Bruce Bent Sr. The business the Bent family had dedicated their lives to, Reserve Management Co., faced disaster if the run on their fund continued.

As the younger Mr. Bent, Reserve's president, sifted through his e-mails, he reviewed a statement drafted by his marketing staff to calm investors. The final line proclaimed that Reserve was “confident in the underlying credit strength and quality” of its holdings, which included hundreds of millions in debt from Lehman and other free-falling institutions, including Washington Mutual and Merrill Lynch.
    “Drop the last line,” he directed, “and then go with it.”

Unfortunately, this editing job represented one of the few times Mr. Bent or his father, the chairman of Reserve, were honest with shareholders in the three terrible days their firm spiraled downward, according to regulators.

The Securities and Exchange Commission last week charged the Bents and Reserve with fraud, alleging that they failed to provide key information to customers, board members and credit-rating agencies after Lehman collapsed. Reserve and the Bents said they would support the $1-per-share asset value of their fund when in fact there was no such intention, the SEC contends. The agency also charges that Reserve misled directors and credit raters by significantly understating how many investors were yanking money after the Lehman bankruptcy hit.

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article/20090510/FREE/305109979/inside-the-panic-at-reserve-fund

Post script - a few years ago they both got off. Apparently their excuse that "nobody could've predicted the market meltdown" worked in their favor. Even though they were gambling unnecessarily up till the collapse with a friggin money market fund. :mad:

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  9. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    And HRC called him deplorable.

Smugly.

So he had to do what a man's gotta do.

Smurfquake repped this.
  10. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    You worked for the Bents? Yeah, that's bad alright.

Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  11. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Yes briefly. It was like a circle of hell even for that short time. But since it was a dysfunctional NYC family operation, I now have a good feeling of what working for Trump Inc. must be like.

Imagine reporting to...gulp...Eric Trump. :eek:

flowergirl and JohnR repped this.
  12. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    On topic, may these ex-Fox employees win their lawsuit in a big way!

13. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I worked for one place where, towards the end of my tenure, if you were one of the last ones to cash your check there, you weren't guaranteed it would clear. o_O
    I had another boss who prided herself on making employees cry. She was pretty pissed when I stood my ground against her. I don't think she was expecting that. It was an all female office. Fun times. :p

sitruc and Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  14. JamieBmore

JamieBmore Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Hmmmm.....only 1 network seems to making lawsuit headlines in the MSM. Wonder why the other one isn't being talked about?

856113338249609216 is not a valid tweet id

15. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    When I left BentCo, the HR lady on the way out to the elevators asked me "Do you have any feedback about your tenure here?"

I said "Yeah. This is by far the worst outift I've ever worked for. That includes a pizzeria, dry cleaners & factory" DING! Elevator door opens & I get in. Her mouth was still wide open. :D

flowergirl and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  16. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I think it is the third or fourth time today that someone tells you that "they do it too!" Is not a valid excuse.

sitruc repped this.
  17. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Cascarino's must be a hell of a place... In the best possible way....

18. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You do realize this is Fox News thread, right? Your post is more relevant to the Racism Thread...but it's hardly surprising. Non-White males tend to get paid lower than White males. There are a few exceptions, but very, very, [...],very few.

American Brummie, sitruc and dapip repped this.
  19. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Well,there is the NBA...

dapip repped this.
  20. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Bleeding genital wart and Fox Newz host Jesse Watters taking a forced family vacation:

[​IMG]Jesse Watters.Fox News

Fox News' Jesse Watters reportedly is taking a vacation, one day after making what some saw as suggestive remarks about Ivanka Trump.

CNN's Brian Stelter and the CNNMoney media team reported on Wednesdaythat Watters, who is a cohost of "The Five," would miss two days of his first week in the show's 9 p.m. time slot.

"I'm going to be taking a vacation with my family, so I'm not going to be here tomorrow," Watters said on Wednesday night's show. "I'll be back on Monday, so don't miss me too much."

http://www.businessinsider.com/jesse-watters-ivanka-trump-2017-4

21. Sudžuka

Sudžuka Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 27, 2013
    I bet the issue here is that the joke was made about Ivanka and not Fox suddenly being against sexism. Wouldn't be surprised either if Fox got a call from the White House about this.

22. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    If I were somehow ever an employee of FOX News, I would constantly be afraid of vacations.

raza_rebel and song219 repped this.
  23. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I were somehow ever an employee of FOX News, I would constantly be afraid of frat bros giving me wet willies. "Can't you take a joke, nerd?"

24. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    If I were somehow ever an employee of FOX News, I would constantly be afraid of white American guys asking me if I brought tacos for lunch and how my family celebrates cinco de Mayo.

soccernutter and Smurfquake repped this.
  25. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I had a shitty job for about ten days when I was in my final semester of ugrad school. I took a temp job at a place that made surgical sheets for hospitals. These sheets came on a yuge roll, like bathroom tissue, and the roll was constantly moving, about 5 rpm. Our job was to lift each sheet as it was cut from the roll and place it on a large table, then return for the next sheet. When we got 12 sheets on the table, we had t fold them into one stack and carry them to another large table, then return to the roll line. Because the roll never stopped moving, you had to keep abreast of how many sheets you'd prepared to be folded. Had to be groups of 12. If you piled 13, problem. 11, problem. So you didn't have the luxury of mentally transporting yourself someplace while you were working. It was (in your head) "8... 9... 9... 9... 10... 10... 10...". It was mind-numbing, to say the least. Second day I took lunch with the full-timers, and I saw nothing in their eyes that told me anyone was home. I realized right there that I was a student looking for a profession and that I didn't need to dull anymore brain cells working for these folks.

Wow. Add Maynard to the list of baby names you don't see White folks using anymore... Leon, Curtis, Otis, Nathaniel, Calvin, Marcus, Maurice, Leroy, Tyrone, Reginald, Andre, Roderick and Rodney

No, Tanisha and Sharifa would have been culled early.

dapip repped this.