The last player(s) cut by WC-winning squad before the Finals

Discussion in 'Soccer History' started by Excape Goat, May 4, 2006.

1. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Any ideas???

Was Maradona one of the last players released for Argentina 1978?

2. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Well he wasn't cut, but before the 1982 World Cup Roberto Bettega got injured and was replaced by Paolo Rossi...

3. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yes, Maradona was the last cut.

Maradona was called by Menotti for a friendly against Hungary in 77. He was on the bench, and even though the team was playing well, the fans could only think of Diego. They keep calling his name and asking for his inclusion. Finally Menotti gave in and put him in the game, to a standing ovation.

He played very well, the few minutes he was in, but Menotti realized the pressure he'd be under to play him, if he included him in the World Cup squad. Since he had made up his mind to use Mario Kempes as his number 10, he didn't want Maradona to be a distraction, so he ended up cutting him. When Menotti informed him that he was cut, Maradona locked himself in a room and cried uncontrollably for over an hour.

4. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The man just bleeds for the game. A true case of the unstoppbale force, if I ever saw one. Sometimes I think if there wasn't video, I'd think he wasn't real.

5. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nicolas Anelka was called up in April of 1998 and made his debut for France, but did not make the final team.

His time with Les Bleus has been a trainwreck, but it should be remembered that there were people at Clairefontaine that rated him higher than Henry. Shame-a waste of talent.