The Kreis Watch

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Stan Collins, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    The first goal in team history having been scored by Jason Kreis gives me a good excuse to start a thread praising him.

As an MLS fan, there are several things I'd like to see RSL do this season to get off on the right foot:

- Draw some big crowds and a good season attendance numbers
    - Make the playoffs
    - Score some highlight-reel goals and get some Mathis Magic Moments
    - Secure a stadium arrangement (this is obviously key)

But one other thing I'd really like to see is for Jason Kreis to get to 100 career goals. It be a great moment for the franchise as they'd get a piece of league history in their first season, which is kind of rare at this point. It would also be a fitting tribute to Kreis.

I personally root for him partially because he played for the Burn (in every season in which they were called the Burn). But I also root for him because he is one of those underrated American players who were never really hyped and might not have gotten enough NT play, but nevertheless came to play every week with the attitude tha average wasn't good enough. Steve Ralston is another good example of the kind of guy I'm talking about.

When Kreis passed Lassiter for most goals in league history, he was happy about it, but didn't make that much of it, mentioning he'd like to get to 100. He knew that record would be broken. Someday MLS will get its version of Alan Shearer, a consistent goalscorer who never leaves the league for years and years. Landon Donovan, for isntance, has by my count 34 league goals including this week's action, and is younger today than when Kreis played his first MLS match (though by only about 3 months).

But if he gets to 100, he will always be the first player to get to that milestone, and no one will ever be able to take that away from him. So here's to hoping he makes it. Hopefully (for RSL's sake and his own) this season.

92 down, 8 to go.

2. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellent post Stan, I will add that www.theloyalists.com has a Kreis Goal Tracker on the website.

GO JASON!
    GO REAL!