The KRC Genk thread [R]

Discussion in 'Belgium' started by tomo, Nov 4, 2004.

1. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    Cool, a real KRC Genk fan, welcome to the boards. :)

2. Blues

Blues New Member

Dec 30, 2004
    Belgium
    Thanks! :) I'm a very happy supporter today :) We have bought three new players today, Soetaers may be the fourth tomorrow... With those new lads I hope we can compete again with Club Brugge and Anderlecht.

Edit: I just read on the official site that he has signed for 4.5 years!

3. tomo

tomo New Member

May 25, 2004
    ANTWERP, BELGIUM
    Now what is going to happen to Koen Daerden? Are they going to play him in the centre 'cause I think left wing is his best position. Or is Soetaers going to play as a striker?

4. Blues

Blues New Member

Dec 30, 2004
    Belgium
    I think he will play in a more central position. His running is great, he has great vision, does a lot of try through-balls, ... But I'm afraid what will happen with Haroun. We just cannot stop his evolution here, he has come to an age where he needs to play to develop...

5. tomo

tomo New Member

May 25, 2004
    ANTWERP, BELGIUM

Mm, I don't believe Daerden will be too happy getting taken away from the left side. He already expressed this is his favourite position. Haroun is the black sheep of this indeed, 'cause I don't see him playing Engelaar AND Daerden out of the team. There are three possibilities IMO:

1. Daerden opts for a 4-3-3 with Daerden LM, Soetaers LF, Engelaar CM, Haroun RM and Beslija RF

2. Vandereycken didn't have a say in these transfers and just needs to solve the problem in the best way possible. Players will become unhappy. He won't be able to solve this and will be sacked at the end of the season.

3. Vaessen went past Jacobs and Vandereycken and did an emotional buy.

6. Blues

Blues New Member

Dec 30, 2004
    Belgium
    I would be very happy with your possibility 1. But, if Stojanovic happens to be a good header, I would prefer Chatelle as RF. He has far more a better crossing than Beslija.

As for 2, this might be true, considering the relationship between Jos Vaessen and Vandereycken. On the other hand, Vandereycken isn't the guy whose balls you can rip off ;)

And point 3, on the website is an interview with Jacobs. It might be interesting to listen to that: http://users.pandora.be/ice322/jacobs04.wma

And finally :) Koen Daerden has already played some time in central midfield. I don't think he will mind playing there, and if he does he needs to draw his conclusions...

7. Enganche

Enganche Red Card

Apr 30, 2003
    I wanted to ask the Genk fans here what they thought of the play of Eric Matoukou at centerback and Justice Wamfor in midfield. Matoukou, in particular, is a young player and I've noticed that he has become a consistent starter with your club. Do you think they are candidates for Cameroun's national team? Thanks in advance for any comments.

8. tomo

tomo New Member

May 25, 2004
    ANTWERP, BELGIUM
    I can't really judge 'cause I have no idea who are the regular starters for Cameroon on these positions. Matoukou is a tough defender, who might need someone next to him to coordinate him a bit. He's been good for Genk so I think he might be capped soon. Wamfor is something else. He was to leave Genk during summer break but impressed in the preseason matches, which is the reason why he is still there. Haven't really kept an eye on him afterwards so I don't know how he's doing for the moment. I guess Blues can help you out in a better way.

9. Enganche

Enganche Red Card

Apr 30, 2003
    Thanks for the info. I've always thought Matoukou is a good prospect for Cameroon's central defense. I can see him playing alongside an experienced centerback like Rigobert Song. How would you rate Matoukou's speed? I'm glad to see he is developing as a player with Genk.

I knew about Wamfor almost leaving in the summer but this year he has been a consistent starter so he must be doing something right!

10. Blues

Blues New Member

Dec 30, 2004
    Belgium
    He is indeed a good prospect, I like him very much in defense next to Gert Claessens, the experienced one.

He is a strong guy, a powerful header, his tackling is good, but his speed might be a problem... And also his passing (actually I'm looking for the English translation of "uitvoetballen", tomo a little help here :) ) isn't what you can expect from a modern defender. That's why most of the teams let Matoukou do the building up from behind, and put pressure on Gert Claessens...

As for Wamfor, or "Jerommeke" as we like to say, that's quite an interesting story. He never impressed staff, fans and opposite teams. When he first arrived here, he was announced as a better version of Josip Skoko. But he never made it on the position as an attacking midfielder. That time, we needed a right back, our weak spot for several seasons. With Wamfor as a RB, we won the championship, but that doesn't mean that he did it well there... I remember a game in Bruges where he was totally skinned by Andres Mendoza.

Last year, he didn't make it to the squad. This summer he was about to leave Genk, but during the Intertoto he was used as a defensive midfielder. And for the first time during his spell in Genk, he impressed staff and fans. When he was injured, we actually missed him. You can compare him with the work Makelele does: disturbing the attacks of the other side and building up attacks for Genk (here he can still improve, this is his weakest point), and you can always count on him, he is so loyal and full of drive.

As for the national team, I think Matoukou is ready for it. But I cannot imagine that Cameroon has no better DM than Wamfor.

11. Enganche

Enganche Red Card

Apr 30, 2003
    Thank you Blues and tomo for the reviews of Matoukou and Wamfor. It is nice to read that both are doing well at Genk. I've been following the club's results all season long. I think Blues is correct that Wamfor is behind Mbami, Makoun and Djemba Djemba at DM for Cameroon but he remains another option. Interesting that two other Cameroonian defensive midfielders are in the Jupiler League- Patrice Noukeu at Mouscron and Franco-Cameroonian Matthieu Assou Ekotto who just moved from La Louviere to Standard Liege.

As for Matoukou, Cameroon needs some younger defenders and at 21 Matoukou seems to have a good future. Nice to see him doing well for Genk.

12. tomo

tomo New Member

May 25, 2004
    ANTWERP, BELGIUM
    Mouscron-KRC Genk 1-2

Mouscron (4-4-2): Vandendriessche, Teklak, Skosibusic, Beloufa, Lorenzi, De Vleeschauwer, Noukeu, Charlet (74’ Sanchez), Hempte, Zewlakow (84’ Magro), Lecomte (74’ Dimbala)

Goals: 39’ De Vleeschauwer
    Red:-
    Yellow Vandendriessche

KRC Genk (4-3-3 and 4-4-2): Moons (46’ Franssen), Beslija, Matoukou, Soley, Sigurdsson, Wamfor, Stojanovic, Daerden, Soetaers (46’ Chatelle), Vandenbergh (78’ Haroun), Engelaar.

Goals: 12’ Stojanovic, 90’ Engelaar
    Red: -
    Yellow: Stojanovic, Haroun, Engelaar

Genk got away with a lucky goal close to full time and took the victory from a very solid Mouscron. Mouscron played more defensively then expected. Their coach Philippe St. Jean left out playmaker Tonci Martic and hot prospect Paco Sanchez d’Avolio. Lecomte got picked instead of Dimbala, who is going through a bad period.
    For Genk Priske turned ill just before the start of the match and didn’t play. Coach Vandereycken also left out acquisition Miskulic. Instead of the expected 4-4-2 Genk played in a 4-3-3. In the second half this was changed to a 4-4-2 again. Genk continues their winning streak thanks to a late goal of Orlando Engelaar (again). The playmaker had to play as a striker this match and this seemed to turn out well for the former player of Feyenoord and NAC Breda. It must be said though, that Genk didn’t play a good match; their problem remains the same: they can not play on ball possession and make the game themself.

13. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    Thanks for updating this Tomo. The English version of the site has been severly lacking. I wonder where our Genk supporter has gone off to?

14. tomo

tomo New Member

May 25, 2004
    ANTWERP, BELGIUM
    He should be all over the place, raving about the third position they have captured in the Jupiler league. Now they're out to get Anderlecht.

15. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any news on that American kid at Genk?

16. tomo

tomo New Member

May 25, 2004
    ANTWERP, BELGIUM
    Don't know. Is soccermoms still around?

17. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haven't seen a post from her in a while. Hopefully her son is doing well.

18. tomo

tomo New Member

May 25, 2004
    ANTWERP, BELGIUM
    Matoukou has his first cap for Cameroon. He has been outstanding lately.

19. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    Genk started updating their english site again :). I'll try and keep this updated.

20. krcgenk

krcgenk New Member

Apr 30, 2005
    Nice to have a KRC Genk thread here. :)

There aren't many posts here since January I see. But I can tell you that we're standing from some very important weeks. The next 4 games have to be won if we want to reach the UEFA-Cup. But if Standard does the same, a final game between us has to be played to appoint the team that goes into Europe.

Today, we play against 'Oostende'. With 3 suspended players (who are every game in the starting line-up) we're a little bit handicapped, but Soley Seyfo comes back after a 6-week injury.

Grtz,
    krcgenk

21. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    Welcome! Nice to see a Genk supporter. I believe there was another one, but he disappeared.

22. cdpconrad2119

cdpconrad2119 Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Maryland
    Well the Uefa Cup isnt looking good. You tied Oostende. Thats gotta be tough. Thats a must win game and they blew it.

23. krcgenk

krcgenk New Member

Apr 30, 2005

It's really hard to reach the UEFA-Cup now. But I'm still hoping, Standard also has to play against Oostende.but I'm afraid they're much better than Genk at the moment and it will be an easy win for them.

Grtz,
    a very, very disappointed Genk fan. :(

24. Blues

Blues New Member

Dec 30, 2004
    Belgium
    [DidierDrogba]I'm back![/DidierDrogba] :)

Well, with only two games left, Genk is two points short of a European spot. They totally blew it against almost relegated KV Ostend. 2-2 in the final minute, what a disaster... It'll be hard to recapture the third place.

The remaining games:

Genk - Charleroi
    Cercle Bruges - Genk

Standard - AA Gent
    KV Ostend - Standard

25. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    Glad to see your back Blues! I hope things are going ok :). This means we now have two Genk supporters and me ;).

Making up two points, while it maybe difficult isn't impossible. Hopefully they can get something done.