The kid's alright - the Scott McTominay thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ashur, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Deserved thread for a young academy product, just going about his business pretty simply and efficiently. He's not flashy, nor stands out particularly in any way, but he is mature, calm and unfazed by the pressure: he's a functional player and hopefully he can carve a place for himself in United's midfield and squad. And in time, who knows?

2. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    He has a good eye for pass with that cross through to Lukaku at the end. He is good on the ball for his height. He can develop further, he has gotten much better than we first saw in the reserves and U18's. He is the type of player you need around. A Fletcher/O'Shea type.

incighte repped this.
  4. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I will just post my thought on him from two separate threads.

After treading water for while and real question mark as to if he belongs, he has gone from strength to strength and shown solid ability and so that could legitimately be part of our 2nd 11.

McT had his best game yet. He has been moved up the pecking order by injury but I think we can no be assured that we don't need Felliani to re-sign. What impresses me about him is for a guy that was 5'8 like 3 years ago and had to change his game to be a 6'5 guy he has kept his touch and quick and he has a great head on. He appears very coachable which probably why he has stuck around despite Mou's issues with you players, in general. He won't win a game for you but he won't cost you a game. He plays very much within himself. He got lulled into no following the runner but that is a mistake he won't make again, he is still adjusting to a match of this level. However he didn't let it stick and played well minus a bad pass here and there.

5. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    He did almost cost us the game against Chelsea by forgetting the runner.

Reasonable composure but otherwise very poor player for this level. O'Shea in midfield is his top.

MizzouMUFC repped this.
  6. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His amazing growth spurt really just occurred over the past year, year and a half. And astonishingly, it hasn't turned him into a complete donkey in regards to his touch.
    He's a kid still, with very limited experience at the highest level, so mistakes will happen. But he's learning and eager to do so as well. No one is claiming he's the next Keane or Robson for us, but if he can become a viable backup option, that's good enough for me tbh...

7. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    That goal was not solely on him not tracking. The poor cross, no one stopping the ball and Tony V playing Willian on side.

If he make Fletcher/O'Shea level that is a starter for 15-16 other teams in this league. That is a solid accomplishment.

8. yikchi

yikchi Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    Garden State
    i can definitely seeing him get to Fletcher level... O'Shea's a legend, that's a bit too much to ask;)

9. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Fletcher at peak was noticeably better to what I think McTs ceiling is.

10. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was not here obviously when Fletcher broke out but many United fans didn't see him have a real future with the club either, thought he was not good enough or that he was favored by SAF because he's Scot etc...
    Not saying whether McTominay will reach Fletcher's level, but they're tracking about the same, in regards to their age and the current state of their development as players/midfielders.
    McTominay is 21 now: just think about Fletcher in 2004. That's all I'm saying. Whether he can build on his opportunities with the first team is up to him. And precisely why going out on loan next term, might not be the worst thing for him, with opportunities probably limited for him at the club.

11. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I don't think they are tracking the same at all.

Fletcher was significantly better as a youngter, with much more talent and technique, all pre leg break.

He forced his way into a strong mf core at the time through hard work and talent.

McT got an opportunity through hard work, physical gifts and being in the right place at the right time with other first team injuries.

12. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #12 Ashur, Feb 25, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    By the time Fletcher broke his leg, he was well on his way to being established in the team. I think the moment fans started warming up to him was when he scored that goal vs Chelsea at OT in 05, when Chelsea looked all but unbeatable.
    Until then, he was seen as overrated by most, was often seen as "SAF's son" etc... There was nothing that stood out in him, except that he was a grafter and was good at following instructions, which is really the best way to describe McTominay at this time.
    Again not saying that McTominay will become Fletcher, but it's certainly too early to definitely judge him one way or another. The kid's got heart, that much is clear and like Fletch, that can go a long way if paired with basic football ability.

13. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Teso loved Fletch.

His views on McT would be interesting - though would likely sit on the fence until McT choses which NT he will play for :)

14. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Huh?

Those two statements contradict each other. And it contradicts your initial statement they have followed similar paths.

15. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    McT and Fletch both have heart and head. They play with passion and clear headed. It is something that is very important to consistently perform. I admit I was lukewarm to Fletch until he made so many consistent performances. I really missed when he was out with Croyn's or whatever.

16. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #16 Ashur, Feb 25, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    No it doesn't. You may want to read it again. Fletcher broke his leg in 2007, if I remember correctly while in NT duty with Scotland. By then, I said, he was on his way to being well established in the United setup and accepted by the fans.
    I also said that prior to his game winning goal with that header vs Chelsea in November of 05, he was maligned amongst United fans (because most believed him to be relatively bland overall). We're talking about a 2yr gap here, so how do those statements contradict themselves in any way??!?

17. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    I really liked John O'Shea, so I see this as a complement.

Deadtigers repped this.
  18. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I was referencing his major injury in the unders. It was either a leg break or do It break. Pre 2005.

JC7rox repped this.
  19. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yikes. I can see O'Shea comp but Fletch?

IIRC, he was one of the more touted youths United had had in a long while. The leg break made him change his game up. He was supposed to be on the fast track to the first team.

20. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Fergie got a special exemption to play him before 16.

It is an indictment of how far we have fallen and our current midfield standards that McTominay is being considered as being on the same path as Fletcher.

Chaz Striker, JC7rox and JamesA repped this.
  21. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Or an indictment of the posters to be making such comparisons. ;)

But seriously, you're 100% right. Their is and was massive differences. Just look at who Fletch had to benchmark himself against at the club during his formative early years as a senior versus McT.

22. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, no one has ever said that McTominay will surely end up the same way as Fletcher. As mentioned above, one can not help to notice how both players were regarded when they came about to the first team.
    Again, I will not speak to people here at BS, but I do know for a fact that while he might have been highly regarded in his time at the Academy, Fletcher was the butt of many jokes when he first got into the senior team has explained above. And it was believed he'd end up like many other failures of young players we saw before or have seen since.
    McTominay falls roughly into the same category in the sense that he does not stick out in any type of way, except in terms of his demeanor and his heart. He may amount to nothing, or be a squaddie or maybe he could be something else: still too early to tell, with exact certitude one way or another. But he's getting opportunities and appear to be making the most of them, the same way that Fletcher did back in 04-05.
    It's always the same thing when we're seeing youngsters, who may not necessarily be superstar material right out of the gate: some players have to rely on grit, heart and hard work to make it. McTominay, if nothing else, deserves an opportunity at least and see where how far he can take it. He's certainly not shaming himself ATM or looking completely out of his depth...

23. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    With Fellaini & Carrick going we need to buy starter quality #8 & #6, so expect Rashford / Lingard type squadie status after summer.

That said, as a CM McT is already an upgrade for me on Fellaini - he passes the ball on quicker, doesnt give away stupid free kicks, positions himself better defensively, can be more trusted in and around own penalty box, has ok control and good short passing game in comparison.

Obv not so good offensively yet as the hair (but was nice spot & pass to Lukaku for our 2nd today). Also obv a long ways off Carrick at this stage.

With Ander / Fellaini injured, against decent oppo can see him getting minutes next few months along with Matic/Pogs like today. Against lesser oppo where Mou goes with just Matic / Pogs to allow more attackers, can still see him doing the Mou “closer” role as a sub that Fellaini used to.

24. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Honestly, I will not equate McT with a guy like Fletcher. However, if this pushes the management to realize that Fellaini is not a necessity, ******** it, sign me up on the McT bandwagon.

25. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    McTominay definitely follows in the footsteps of Fletcher, about whom expectations were not that high at the same age. And even just before the 08/09 season expectations weren't that high about Fletcher's contributions to the squad. That he was all that in 08/09 came as a shock, not as a confirmation of his potential.

Time will tell about what McT can offer the club long term, but apart from letting Willian go his contribution was positive and indicative of better things to come.

As for Fellaini, Ashur can attest that I never regarded Marouane as United quality and that he just needs to go this summer. No one can forget what he did to us with Everton in 2012 when Fellaini helped his side scrape the incredible 4-4 draw -- which wrecked our EPL trophy that season (well, that plus Aguero's late goal) -- but he's been useless for us on all but a small handful of occasions since Moyes brought him in on Panic Day 2013, a day that will live forever in United infamy.