The Kellyn Acosta Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Alex Yang, Mar 16, 2017.

1. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Playing time is important to a young player. Cermino can handle the minutes and I'd assume they'd use Pomykal as well so get the kid USL minutes, see how he does, and reevaluate where he needs to be when they have more data. Long term hopes doesn't preclude short term goals. He's likely a more serious bench option next season where his play will dictate how many minutes he gets.

2. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kellyn should go to a midtable side if he wants to pursue European soccer.

He's a young freaking center mid with range who can play at the international level. Those types are rare. His talent and progress would be stunted at a side like HSV.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  3. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I've only seen him in NT matches. For those who actively watch his club games, how good is he? Is he ready for a European club and could he possibly be going to Russia next year as a starter?

4. vexco

vexco Member+

Nov 2, 2013
    One of the best mids in MLS this season. Has shown a bigger knack for attacking in MLS than internationally so far but I'm sure that'll come with comfortability. Or maybe he's just asked to not go forward as much so far.

And yes, he's ready for a move. I think it'd be advantageous to his career.

5. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    FCD generally play a mixture of low and counter-press. Aside from admittedly the most important stats of wins and losses and draws, they aren't as prominent in the other statistical categories as one would expect from a top club.

Likewise, Acosta isn't prominent in the individual stats categories filtered for central midfielders. Yet, his class is pretty plain to see. He brings a nice mixture of field vision, incisiveness, work-rate, and athleticism--all on both sides of the ball.

If he goes to a top euro-league then going to a team that plays a style similar to FCD's would probably be the best route to success.

Given the investment Arena has made, a starting position in the WC team looks Acosta's to lose. I'd consider the prime CM pool to consist of Acosta, Roldan, Williams, Bradley, and McCarty.

OGx3 and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  6. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

7. Sizmik

Sizmik Member+

Dec 21, 2011
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think if he shows out well in the Gold Cup he will get a few offers....

8. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is best described as JJ-lite and has the mentality, physical abilities, and tactical prowess to succeed in Europe.

He is a bit of a tweener and I suspect if he had developed in Germany he would be playing fullback. I have heard him compared to Jeremy Toljan the young German-American U21 who turned down Klinsmann's offer to play for the US.

He has a similar mentality to Jones without the arrogance and chip-on-shoulder. If he becomes a top 4 / top 4 lock starter and CL performer, the arrogance will come.
    He has a similar high work rate and field coverage.
    He does not have prime Jones' freakish run/jump stud athleticism.
    He has a similar tendency to playing "hero balls" which result in a low passing percentage for his position.
    He does not have prime Jones' defensive presence and ball winning attributes.
    He may be more versatile than Jones on the offensive side of the ball.
    He is a better dead ball striker than Jones.

9. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In his prime, Jermaine could be a ferocious player powering the ball forward. I don't see that quality in Acosta.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  10. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    So essentially he's a young, offense minded version of Jones with less destroyer but more AM qualities? Is he an analogue for Danny Williams?

11. vexco

vexco Member+

Nov 2, 2013
    Williams is more physical, Acosta is more technical. I think Acosta has a better passing range and is better on dead balls, Williams would probably be considered a better defender due to being more physical. Outside of those 3 things, I think they're comparable in most aspects. I'd give Acosta the edge but Williams would be in my best 23.

12. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say Acosta might be a more consis
    He's a better midfielder than Danny Williams.

13. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quite debatable, that.

14. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    A superlative comparison of the two is not realistic at this point. Acosta plays in MLS and has games against Ghana B and Mexico to his credit. He has a goal against Ghana.

Williams has 45 matches in B1 and 135 for a top C'ship club. Now he will be playing in the EPL. He has goals against Brasil and the Netherlands. Williams hasn't been with the team in recent times, however.

15. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Acosta is a mixture of Alfredo Morales, Thomas Dooley, and David Wagner.

sXeWesley repped this.
  16. Sizmik

Sizmik Member+

Dec 21, 2011
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Acosta has been better in 2 games than ive ever seen Williams play for the US combined. Acosta is deadly on free kicks and can drop dimes....hes already better than Williams

deuteronomy repped this.
  17. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Williams rarely played his position, box-to-box midfield, for the US. JK typically used him as a wide player, a destroyer, or a fullback. This further makes superlative comparisons not very credible.

18. I Touchdown There

Med
    United States
    Jun 15, 2017
    Agreed with this. I have never been a big Danny Williams fan. But to be fair to Williams, Jurgen played him almost exclusively out of position. Same has he played Acosta out of position. Or Bradley out of position. Or....well you get the idea.

For me, I understand wanting to compare Acosta to someone known and established, but I'd prefer not to shoehorn him into a pre-made description. Acosta is pretty smooth on the ball. He's grown to be one of the best central midfielders in MLS, playing on a team that has been one of the dominant teams in a top 15-20 league in the world. He has pretty good vision and passing range. I think he needs time to adjust to the speed of the international game, but I have no reason to doubt that his touch and passing won't translate once he's got a bit more experience under his belt.

This season for FC Dallas, he has shown a lot of intelligence as far as when to make those secondary runs into the box and he's scored some good goals that remind a bit of how Michael Bradley used to score his goals 10 years ago.

Acosta is more of the pass before the pass type of player, and he will never be a prolific goal scorer, so don't expect him to stuff the stat sheet.

Oh, and he might already be the best dead ball striker in the entire pool. At 21 years of age, I'm excited to see how this kid grows with the national team and I think he is definitely a key piece to a young core that will make up the national team for the next decade.

Sizmik and IndividualEleven repped this.
  19. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #169 TheHoustonHoyaFan, Jul 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
    Then you have not seen Williams play much.

A 23 yo DWill in WCQ put in 2 of the most complete USMNT double pivot performances in recent memory in must win matches v Jamaica (with Jones at #8) and v Guatemala (with Bradley #8). In those 2 matches he completed a total of 149 passes and only missed 9 while averaging 14 defensive events per match.

Williams was better than Acosta at the same stage of development. Will Kellyn be a better international? Time will tell.

20. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Williams has 22 caps for the US with the first 4 played at AMR because of need with Donovan and Rogers out with injuries.

In his last 18 USMNT caps he played in a double pivot or 3CM setup, often as the more defensive member, the same position he played for Hoffenheim and Reading during that time frame.

He certainly has never started for the US as a fullback (he has for Reading and the beginning of his BuLi career with Freiburg).

21. I Touchdown There

Med
    United States
    Jun 15, 2017
    According to my CompuSoccer 3000, Player X is 5x Pi to the third power divided by Sine better than Player Y.

This is Houston Hoya's understanding of soccer in a nutshell.

IndividualEleven repped this.
  22. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    DWill subbed in at fullback for the US. He typically played as the destroyer when paired with JJ or Bradley.

23. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Some of Williams's oeuvre courtesy of football lineups.

Right mid; Honduras('11), Ecuador('11), France('11), Italy('12),

Right Back(Sub): Slovenia('11)

Destroyer: Jamaica'12 Subbed for Beckerman in 41212
    Jamaica'12 in 4132
    Switz('15) in a diamond
    Netherlands('15)Subbed for Beckerman in 433
    Germany('15) in a diamond

He was rarely used as a box-to-box mid. And when paired with another cm, Williams was typically the less attacking.

24. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that post is just stupid. In 1 of his 22 caps he was an emergency last 8 minute sub for an injured Chandler.

25. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given your statement "Jurgen played him almost exclusively out of position" you should be more concerned about your understanding of soccer.

Start with the basics; What position does a player play.