The Kansas City/Chattanooga Pro/Rel Meet-n-Greet Superthread

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by USRufnex, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To simplify things muchly, owners in NASL 1 thought they could be the next Cosmos. Most lost a lot of money in the process. If a team didn't get hot quickly they relocated or sold it.

In NASL 2, the future of the league was this, Cosmos Stadium in Elmont NY.

upload_2019-4-13_9-38-43.jpeg

2. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    What does that have to do with NPSL Pro?

3. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    Or any NPSL club wanting to play a longer season?

4. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Counting your chickens before they hatch perhaps? It's easy to brand big like the Cosmos did upon their return, but building a sustained relevancy is harder. Similarly, some fans are hyping NPSL Pro as the only option for "real" soccer in the U.S. before it's even known if there will be such a thing beyond the Founders Cup.

5. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was in regard to the comment about other Founders Cup teams eventually turning professional. The Cosmos of course are already pro.

6. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    There's a pretty big valley between "expanding past summer league" and "signing Pele and Breckenbauer and playing in Giants Stadium".
    I don't think anyone is expecting the latter.

USRufnex repped this.
  7. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nonetheless, Keeping up with the Kosmos seems like a self-destructive strategy.

KCbus repped this.
  8. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    Nothing has indicated that these clubs are interested in breaking the bank.

USRufnex repped this.
  9. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The issue is that honestly ... I'm pretty damn sure they're just hanging around until the courts have ruled and they've officially lost. After that, I don't see either of the 2 money men staying around. They aren't interested in small fries and certainly aren't up to backing a larger effort to get where they want to be.

So then what?

Paul Berry repped this.
  10. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    What do you mean? The other clubs would continue playing soccer. Nobody cares if the Cosmos are there or not.

USRufnex repped this.
  11. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    Wait. Are you implying that Commisso and Silva are bankrolling NPSL Pro? Because I've seen nothing to support that claim.

12. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Commisso and Silva, along with Palmer, were willing to subsidize Boca Raton FC, Boston City FC, Detroit City FC, FC Arizona, Hartford City, New Orleans Jesters and Virginia Beach City FC to play in NASL.

The Founders Cup was originally to include Chattanooga FC, Detroit City FC, Miami FC, Miami United FC, Milwaukee Torrent, New York Cosmos, ASC San Diego, Cal FC, California United Strikers FC, FC Arizona, and Oakland Roots.

So no indication that C, S & P are subsidising the Founders Cup, only suspicion.

13. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    But we're talking about completely different leagues at completely different levels. If there was a whiff of evidence of this or even speculation prior to this comment, maybe you could start trying to apply the transitive property to this situation, but it seems premature at the moment.

Now, I don't see Cosmos or Miami FC wanting to stay at this level very long. Should NPSL Pro hit some kind of critical mass, I can imagine a more elite tier above this group for those that want to wade deeper (as well as one under), but we're a long way from there right now.

14. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    Oh, meant to say that I could see Commisso and Silva subsidizing that.

HailtotheKing repped this.
  15. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

Tulsa Athletic / Sheffield United
    United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    #367 USRufnex, Apr 15, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    Nope.
    In step with your use of an old idiom, I think you're putting the cart before the horse here.

Maybe, but minor league is still minor league, and without being hooked into an open system, the Cosmos were always stuck as little more than a coverband. You could make that case for all the old names (Rowdies, Strikers, Roughnecks, and prior to that Timbers and Sounders) to varying extents... but the Cosmos conundrum is even worse, considering that was arguably America's first (only?) superclub.

Typical BigSoccer stereotype without regular posters from that POV here to defend themselves.

16. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    #368 USRufnex, Apr 15, 2019
    Even if Commisso and Silva were subsidizing NPSL Founders Cup, how different is that compared to what MLS is doing to USL?

PODCAST ALERT:
    0021 – NPSL’s Sonny Dalesandro!
    • April 15, 2019
    https://www.bgn.fm/0021-npsls-sonny-dalesandro/
    [​IMG]

***Starts off a little slow and you could skip the first nine minutes without much issue, but I remember what we went through a few years ago with PLS net worth requirements and there really needs to be an option to move up the ladder other than "Sellout or die".... :D

17. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Ha, so melodramatic. You make it sound like they were lost in action during the Great Pro/Rel War. They're free to post here if they want. Hell, they can stop by the USA Men forum and they'll find plenty of posters to high five while they bask in the glory of pro/rel and shake their fists at MLS and SUM.

18. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    #370 USRufnex, Apr 15, 2019
    I witnessed it.

It wasn't a "war" as much as it was, for several years, a clique of "usual suspects" ridiculing an entire POV off the forum. And that was before I changed my opinion from one of indifference ("talk to me when MLS has more than 10 or 12 or 14 teams") to one of advocacy ("28-32+ teams in MLS is too many and I'll do just about anything to avoid MLS turning lower division soccer into its own farm club system")

Out of my close to 900 followers on the Twitter machine, at least 500 to 700 of them have a similar POV that I do, and quite a few of those folks USED TO POST on BS....... if I wonder why that is, all I have to do is read the first four pages of this thread.... "oh yeah, THAT'S why!"

Why would they, when we have a moderator who thinks and posts and treats the subject of Promotion/Relegation like this?
    I mean, really?

There are all sorts of shenanigans that have taken place before/after the US didn't qualify for the last WC. Hardly surprising that USMNT fans who see abusive practices from MLS/SUM actually speak out about it, even if they'd been MLS apologists for years...

19. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    That's your evidence of mistreatment? :ROFLMAO:

Looks to me like another soccer fan who doesn't see pro/rel as a huge driver of personal interest in the sport.

HailtotheKing repped this.
  20. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're driving much of the thought and action going on currently. When (if) they bail you don't think there will be knock on effects?

It's been floated that Commisso/Silva/Barone were "behind" the league.

21. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    I have dozens of examples from BigSoccer.
    I can IM them to you if you wish. :p

#ProRelForUSA

22. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    #374 USRufnex, Apr 16, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    What Does Success Look Like For The NPSL Founders Cup & Its Clubs In 2019?

18 Feb 2019

When I spoke with Miami FC’s CEO Sean Flynn, one of the lead figures in the Founders Cup, he spoke of the Founders Cup as an evolution from the NPSL, rather than from the NASL. “The Founders Cup is the next logical step in the progression of teams that are ready to move up from NPSL. The teams that are ready for a longer season, and are committed to using professional players and professional staff. This is the next step for the teams that have been incubating in NPSL, Chattanooga and Detroit being great examples,” said Flynn. “Our expectations are that the 11 teams have quality matches on the pitch, strong support from our supporters groups, and this will help build the brands. A group of teams have come together to create something new, and the goal of the Founders Cup is to build a foundation for the next step, which is a full season league in 2020.”

23. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    #375 USRufnex, Apr 17, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    The handful of BigSoccer regulars who refer to the 88% of American soccer fans who'd like to see Pro/Rel as "proles" are an annoyingly condescending lot. As are the anti-Pro/Rel trolls who think it's cute to rep them.

SOCCER IN THE USA: DO WE WANT PROMOTION AND RELEGATION?
    "In a survey of 1,058 U.S. soccer fans, 88% of fans said adopting promotion and relegation would benefit club soccer in the U.S."

Besides, the conversation on this thread is currently about how Chattanooga FC has to actually help form its own league in order to move up to the next rung of the ladder.