The Jurgen Klinsmann's coaching Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by bungadiri, Feb 21, 2015.

1. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pig Climber has not said that Norwegian second division players are superior to MLS based American players because they play in Europe.
    I'm exaggerating but Schweinsteiger's comments are specific and indisputable, as opposed to Klinsmann's generalizations.

Mahtzo1 repped this.
  2. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An interesting read from across the pond . .

Have you seen this manager? Jurgen Klinsmann

http://www.itsroundanditswhite.co.uk/2017/04/30/have-you-seen-this-manager-jurgen-klinsmann/

[​IMG]

Jurgen Klinsmann has picked fights in and with the media. He has criticized influential figures and agencies with which he’d have been best served to foster a cooperative relationship. He’s displayed a distinct need to be in complete control over any project in which he’s involved. Perhaps most concerning, after having managed one powerful club and two high-profile national teams, no one is quite certain just what his playing style is. The next club or country which takes him on had better know what it’s getting.

[​IMG]
    (only a coincidence Schweinsteger is captioned in this picture ;))

The mirror holding Klinsmann’s grandiose illusions began to crack. Mass and social media were openly panning the German, not just for his squad selection and tactics. His constant complaints regarding Major League Soccer’s scheduling, insufficient youth development, and quality were seen less and less as constructive criticism, more and more as deflecting attention from his own shortcomings. (recognize a pattern?)

It would not be shocking to see Jurgen Klinsmann’s name officially attached to either club (LAG, LAFC) in the immediate future. Hopefully though, several months away from the bright lights have given him ample time to ease the swelling in his ego so he gets it right this time.

MPNumber9 repped this.
  3. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. Schweinsteiger says that the gap between Bayern Munich, Manchester United, the German national team and the Chicago Fire and MLS is huge. As indisputably true as saying that the gap between Denali and K2, between Neptune and Jupiter, is huge.
    Klinsmann said that the gap between Europe and MLS is huge. That by merely playing in Europe an American was playing at a higher level than could be attained here. As indisputably false as saying that Denali is lower than Serra da Estrelha.
    There are specific leagues where great clubs are regularly found, and the average club is very good, and so by playing in that league you can compete against those at the highest level. Most European leagues do not belong to that category.
    Schweinsteiger made a commonsense, and true, observation. Jurgen made a false observation, however common that sense is among the europoseurs.
    By the way, both Schweinsteiger and Jurgen are/were very well paid to offer their services in America. That has nothing to do with their speaking truly, or not.

Mattbro and Honore de Ballsac repped this.
  4. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ChrisSSBB repped this.
  5. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #13280 thedukeofsoccer, May 9, 2017
    Last edited: May 9, 2017
    MLS is not a top 4 league the world? Damn, I guess we need to be more realistic around here. That was a commonplace perception it was.

Of course MLS is a considerably worse league. Doesn't mean individual players in it aren't capable of playing at a top 4 league level if given the opportunity - see Geoff Cameron and Stuart Holden. The common denominator was they were made internationals first after years of being ignored. Few were given the conduit by Klinsmann, so realistically it wasn't their choice to play in one of the top European leagues, outside of a minority who preferred to stay home or come back because they were given bloated salaries. Certainly can't blame those given great financial incentive to play in MLS and others who want to grow the league like Eddie Pope too. It takes all kinds to develop as a burgeoning football nation as we still are. In the interim it's not like they still couldn't be big helps to the national team. Jozy has played better since moving back to MLS. Clint has aged gracefully.

Jurgen was just always looking for a bad excuse for failures, and blaming MLS/American footballing culture, or general, were always his go-to's. Ironic when you're the American national team coach. Schweinsteiger doesn't back anybody up with his obvious statements that don't even pertain to individuals. That was a blatant false equivalency to defend him retroactively.

If Bruce gets substantially better results over the next year and a half, Jurgen doesn't have a leg to stand on. Those aren't his successes either. Little would have changed in that time, and long-term there's very little he tangibly changed. Just takes credit for reinventing the wheel and programs that were already put in place before him, like in Germany. He couldn't sell fitness to us, as we sold it to him initially. Certainly isn't to credit for MLS academies and creating a pipeline from MLS to the big 4-5 in Europe/UCL, if players wanted to keep pushing themselves, as we're discussing.

Honore de Ballsac and bostondiesel repped this.
  6. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Why is this thread still going? It's like the Donovan thread, well past its expiry date.

The only thing Klinsmann is coaching these days is his EA FIFA teams.

7. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The picture on him is incomplete.

You seemed to know best of all that he and his shills don't let the discussion about him die after he leaves a job, for perception purposes. His ego and next job prospects depend on things looking rosier.

And his extremist philosophies means it takes time to wash his bad influences off too. You seemed very aware of that reality as well. Argued the next manager would have to take a couple years to clean up his mess. I thought more like a half year to a year. We are still in that window. A few months after the Gold Cup, after the gloating about how many of the players he neglected were positive contributors to the nt, the talk about him should significantly wane.

He and his shills will always be lurking though....

8. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I only recall him saying what I quoted. It would be a challenge for Bradley and Dempsey to maintain the level they had at Tottenham and Roma. If schweinsteigers specific comments were indisputable, then Klinsmann's vague comments seem to pretty obvious and not that controversial.

Can you provide a link(s) of Klinsmann making all these derogatory statements?

BS is paid well by MLS while JK was paid by USSoccer to do very different jobs.

9. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    I would remind anyone who's played soccer that the typical career ends in a contest of belly vs ego, shaking your head at the youngsters and gesturing that you want the ball played to your feet...

...BUT I'm just too shocked by a former Bayern Munich legend arrogantly pointing fingers and unsentimentally bitching about teammates when the results are mixed.

ChrisSSBB and deuteronomy repped this.
  10. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    haha, I'm only a legend in my own mind but it got to the point where not only did I want the ball to feet, I wanted it on the middle stripe of my adidas boots.

MPNumber9 repped this.
  11. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Your consistency is commendable, but... I don't see him being arrogant but giving fair honest answers and taking full responsibility for knowing what he was getting into and that it is his problem to deal with...

but that he "I knew what I let myself in for" when he chose to move to MLS.

"I don't blame anyone for it, that's my problem -- I need to adapt to the league and cope with those situations."

bostondiesel repped this.
  12. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Dude.

C'mon.

Klinsi could sound really pleasant while throwing you under the bus too.

This is like saying "Not to mention." I don't know where that figure of speech comes from, but I try to think twice before using it. And it's a figure of speech.

What Bastian said isn't that offensive to my ears, but it is what it is. Being the mega signing of the year for a new league - and a team of losers for that matter, a team that bet everything on you when your ass was parked on a bench for all the world to see? You've spent decades in front of an obsessive press? You don't literally point out everybody's faults then walk away like you didn't. Sounds rather like, "Ali Bedoya was the problem and no he wasn't played out of position and coaches can't kick the ball in the net and MLS needs to play in winter but of course I take full responsibility."

By comparison, the humblebrag is far more rhetorically subtle.

Btw, I don't care. I love Bastian the player, and think this was probably a good move for Chicago and the league. It's just a calculated risk that another iconic FC Hollywood player doesn't become a big mouth and run down the league if/when he can't hack it. Recently, players like Gerrard, Drogba, Keane have exited more gracefully (or diplomatically at least) than say, Rafa Marquez - but again, we're talking about another German soccer star here, and part of the culture of FC Hollywood was criticizing everybody else. Backstabbing, even.

This situation, though, is a whole different thing from Klinsmann's role as Kaiser of the UMNT program.

13. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I think USL would be more open to Klinsi. Anybody who needs an actual coach might steer away from him. His toxicity is now well known.

14. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Btw, I can see why some people like genuine, honest answers to media questions. Bastian's comments do seem direct and honest. I like the insight - even if that's just a glimpse inside a world class player's head. But it's obvious why athletes generally stick to humble, bland and cliched scripts.

15. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    JK had to go after the mess of the Mexico game. I'm not going to defend him. There is no reason to look at Bruce's results either to make a case against JK and it would not be helpful to do so. Why? Because Bruce has what JK said we needed but never had: An American playing at a Champions League Club. Pulisic is such a difference, I don't know how we can compare results with him to anything from before.

Coaches will come and go. What we need is another 5-6 Champions League players. Wales has two, we should be able to come up with a few more. I'm talking about on the teams that consistently get to the knock-out rounds; not the Brugges and Celtics. Although, having players on those teams (and we have 3-5 now) is also very helpful.

16. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    #13291 Mahtzo1, May 10, 2017
    Last edited: May 10, 2017
    Klinsmann had Pulisic also. Maybe we should only count two games? Mexico and Costa Rica? If you only use those two games, we will still have to wait to compare results when we play Mexico and CR again. If you go back further, Klinsmann had several CL players when he coached Germany at HOME to a 3rd place finish in a world cup. In my opinion, what is most important about rating a coach is not the quality of the players but how he does with the players. Does the team to better than should be expected, the same or worse.

The fact is that there will always be differences in the quality of the pool at different times. We compare coaches (and players) of different teams and eras all the time. Our conclusions are really just opinions about facts or even opinions about subjective qualities masquerading as facts. With that in mind, I think we can compare his results with the results of other coaches before and after. (of course the same is true about any other coach.

I personally am amazed that this thread is still going. I suppose we wouldn't be talking about any of this if he had been fired earlier. Keeping him so long built up a huge storehouse of bitterness that is still seeping out.

Edit: I wonder how Arena would have done as Germany's coach in the world cup. Would he have done better, worse, or the same as Klinsy? Maybe the players would have refused to play for him? There are obviously a number of variables that would determine the correct answer. Interesting (for me) hypothetical.

17. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um, excuse me?

Gamecock14 and Mahtzo1 repped this.
  18. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Klink, er Klinsi sighting and speaking . . .

Jonathan Klinsmann could have signed for any MLS side - Jurgen Klinsmann

1. The initial comment is at best, incorrect. Jonathan would have to enter a draft or dispersla draft. Either Klinsi has no idea how MLS works or is engaging in Klinsi speak, again.
    "Fundamentally, he's an optimistic person not scared to take a risk. What he has already achieved in America has not happened by chance. He could have signed for every MLS team, they all approached him."

2. "I think he's made a good decision playing in goal, where he enjoys it the most," he said. "Of course, he knows that way he will not be compared with me so much. He realises that it is not always easy with the Klinsmann name, but he's learned to cope with that."

3. Would his next role would be as a club or national team coach.

"Both appeal to me, but my daughter is 15 years old and is in 10th grade," he said. "You cannot say then I am going to Europe to take over a club as the family has to accompany me. But a national team would definitely be easier because of my family situation."

TheLostUniversity repped this.
  19. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    watch out, we gout ourselves a regular Lavar Ball up in here

CMeszt, adam tash, russ and 1 other person repped this.
  20. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Technically he is correct. Jr would sign with the league, so theoretically "every MLS team approached him".

Then again, his quote is for BILD who would not make out the differences with MLS player acquisitions.

Bajoro, onefineesq and TOAzer repped this.
  21. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jurgen Klinsmann......... of course your young Lord HaHa would choose to play on German soil ........ Now, which national side looked at your recent Gold Cup/WCQ run and said: "Gotta get me some of that?"...............well?....:coffee:

22. dundee9

dundee9 Member

Jan 13, 2007
    When your options are to enter an MLS draft where MLS determines where you will play and live or go overseas and control where you will start your career it's a very easy choice.

adam tash repped this.
  23. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bahahahaha, I have no idea how the coaching idea came to him, he is probably one of the more unclear communicators, I have ever encountered. . .

24. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    That's nothing - have you seen the Freddy Adu thread? That threat exists solely so that the same people can make the same played out jokes for the thousandth time at Freddy Adu's expense because he had the audicity to not turn out to be a world-class player, like most 14-year-old phenoms don't.

TOAzer repped this.
  25. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Now hey that's not nice, the Freddy thread is a good time.