The Jurgen Klinsmann's coaching Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by bungadiri, Feb 21, 2015.

1. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    #13251 juveeer, Apr 30, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    Mix still has had a better Nat career than Benny F, BS's perpetual super star who got screweled. And wasn't it Double B who brought him in originally?

It depends on what you mean by ROI. If you mean production on the field, than it already HAS been a bust mostly. There are some decent exceptions, but overall bringing in guys for their last payday and a vaca hasn't worked so well overall - on the field.

But...if you define ROI the way MLS seems to define it (getting the league profile up, selling tickets, giving a team a well known "face",etc) than it prolly has worked. Though some of the salaries of these guys have been enormous compared to what they have given on the field.

The ones that have really panned out are guys like Giovinco and Robbie K who were still in prime playing years when they came over. If you are going to bring "name" players over to boost the league's marketing, those are the kind of players you should be targeting.

Problem is most players like that won't come at that point in their careers, so the next best is go to younger players that can help the whole team improve and grow.

2. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm no Benny cheerleader, but this simply isn't true...

Mahtzo1 and MPNumber9 repped this.
  3. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    As this thread continues to meander on....and on.....and on....

barroldinho repped this.
  4. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    Check the stats. They don't lie.

5. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course they do. Mix is the king of friendlies. Benny actually contributed in meaningful games.

Jazzy Altidore, Mr Martin and Mahtzo1 repped this.
  6. bostondiesel

bostondiesel Member

Oct 23, 2006
    Can we compare club careers?

Or maybe ask Patrick V about the Mix ROI?

7. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #13257 deuteronomy, Apr 30, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    Post the stats that you keep referring to.

Just continuing to refer to some statistics without sharing them makes your argument appear disingenuous.

WrmBrnr repped this.
  8. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    They were on American Soccer Now for a couple of years in their player rankings. Now they seem to have taken them down. Anyway, Mix has more goals, more assists in nearly the same number of games.

Club careers don't matter for nat team discussions.

9. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
  10. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    Patty V doesn't rate Mix.

Just like Klinsi didn't rate Benny.

And now Bruce doesn't rate either.

11. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Benny's got a game winning goal against Mexico in the GC, which qualified us for the Confed Cup where he helped set up a goal against Spain. He played in multiple WC games and got the "assist" for CD's penalty against Ghana in '10.

As for Mix....help me out here, I'm struggling...

chad and Mr Martin repped this.
  12. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Feilhaber . . . (2 short clips)

Watch the pass at :24 that takes about 3 defenders out of the play.

This, of course, is the World Cup and led to a key goal allowing us to win our group for the first time ever . . .

Now, watch the player at the top of the screen dribble and lay the ball off beginning about :04

This, of course, was against Spain in the Confederations Cup semi final. Spain, of course, were at that time ranked #1 in the World and had not lost in 35 matches.

But, there are some among us, who are figuring out which stats are the important ones.

chad, MPNumber9, Mr Martin and 1 other person repped this.
  13. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Another confusing post... using facts to distort an argument. What difference does it make whether you win a group or come in second, especially if you can't take advantage of playing a weaker team in the round of 16 (plus 2nd wasn't an option based on how the group was positioned after 2 games). It was fun beating Spain, but don't fool yourself that they came to play that day. They looked nothing like the team from Euro 08 or a year later at the World Cup. Can you think of many times Iker let in softer goals than that Jozy strike or a Spanish defender lets himself get stripped on his goal line?

As for the plays I have no idea what you are talking about in the Algeria game. The players involved were LD, Altidore, Dempsey, and Budlle. Feilhaber is behind the play and apparently had another gear to accelerate to celebrate the goal. Nice play against Spain.

14. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    Youse Benny guyz doth protest too much, methinks.

Who was talking about being disingenuous again? Then when the stats are posted we move the goal posts?:confused:

Facts are facts.

And anyway Bruce doesn't like either.

At least Mix is still young enough he has a shot of working his way back if he decides to take his career seriously again. We shall see.

benny is in his last roundup and BA does not appear to have him in his plans.

15. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you help me out, juveer? I've got to be missing something, right?

16. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Calling someone's argument disengenous because you are too lazy to look something up?

I don't necessarily believe in the premise but the stats are in his favor

Feilhaber - 1G, 1A, 2204M or G+A/1102M
    Diskerud - 6G, 2A 2044M or G+A/256M

https://www.transfermarkt.com/mix-diskerud/nationalmannschaft/spieler/103559

https://www.transfermarkt.com/benny-feilhaber/nationalmannschaft/spieler/33118

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  17. bostondiesel

bostondiesel Member

Oct 23, 2006
    I have no desire to argue someone who wants to argue that there is "proof" that Benny F takes a back seat to Mix and his excellent hair. I guess somewhere this is in the eye of the beholder, cuz somehow if stats convince you of this then I think stats are useless, but admittedly I do not look at stats with futbol, I generally go by what my eyes tell me.

One has had a long productive playing career national or otherwise, one could not keep a spot on a very very stinky NYFC team, and also could not generate ANY interest in said retirement league.

I brought up Mix as someone JK put some stock in and has not been able to keep a job in this league so perhaps JK who also at one time bet on a Landon Donovan should cut more slack to owners and who they want to spend their hard earned dough on.

It is their dough after all. If next rich owner wants to break the proverbial bank on whoever they want its a tough sell saying any natty coach can huff and puff....who cares. I happen to think JK put together some god awful squads...but he was the coach and not I.

So meandering post or not, for you to respond is you also contributing to the long and meandering post...So maybe chill?

18. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously on a tangent here with the Benny vs. Mix argument in the JK coaching thread. But this is a great example of stats failing to tell the real story.

Mix scored 6 international goals, but only 1 in a competitive match, the 5th goal in a Gold Cup match vs El Salvador that the US won 5-1. So, Mix's only meaningful international goal was irrelevant to the result. His other 5 goals were all in friendlies -- training matches.

Meanwhile, Benny's 1 international goal decided a Gold Cup Championship vs Mexico, vastly more important than all of Mix's goals combined. And, his dribble and pass to set up the US's second goal in the Confed Cup Semi-Final vs. #1 Spain was more important than any play Mix ever made internationally.

Benny was also the US's key attacking spark plug off the bench in every match of the 2010 World Cup, elevating the US play in every match after he entered. Mix never got off the bench at the 2014 Gold Cup, one of the only midfielders on a US World Cup team since 1990 to see zero minutes.

Don't get me wrong. I like BOTH of these players. Benny was a top-15 US player during 2009-2010, and may have been underutilized in more recent years. Mix has ability and JK should have brought him into the World Cup vs Portugal late to help a flagging US midfield hold possession better and vs Germany, when JK swallowed his 3d sub unused. I'm glad to see Mix off to a good start with IFK in Sweden.

But Feilhaber has easily had the better international career, a player who for 2 years was a regular difference-maker in key competitive matches, something Mix never achieved for the US.

chad, butters59, TOAzer and 6 others repped this.
  19. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
  20. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Technically those were still opinions.

21. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Facts are facts and you can't read.

What exactly are you trying to point out. No one has ever argued that MLS is better than Germany or England. If you are pointing out Chicago is not as good as Bayern Munich ... then I can't help you.

The MLS owner's beef was that Klinsmann kept criticizing the league while continuing to call up players from the league. If he acted like Bradley did, he wouldn't have gotten in an argument. Bradley basically said that if you wanted a call up, you should go to Europe. That's how people on reserve teams and B teams got called into camps. That's how someone like Charlie Davies, Clarence Goodson, and Heath Pearce got chances when they likely would not have with Klinsmann. Goodson was playing in the second division in Norway when he got a call up.

TheLostUniversity and bostondiesel repped this.
  22. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Juveer in JubJub Land......"Chicago Fire < Bayern Munich, so MLS is a crap league and no Jurgen could tolerate playing a player who played there...."

Hmmmm, Schweinsteiger plays in what league now? Would Juveeren Klinsie play him?

24. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not for the USA. Not for Germany either.

Without the salary cap the top MLS teams could compete with European clubs but the rest would probably go bust.

25. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Schweini says pretty much the same thing as Klinsmann and actually gives more specific examples. The difference is he is getting paid tons to deal with it and Klinsmann had to deal with the ramifications of his players having to deal with the challenges Schweini describes... the quality level is huge, players not executing, players losing the ball, not seeing plays, etc.

Bastian Schweinsteiger says there is a "huge" difference in the quality between the Chicago Fire and his past experience at Bayern Munich, but that he "I knew what I let myself in for" when he chose to move to MLS.

"And, of course, it can be frustrating on the pitch at times when things discussed [in the team meeting] are not implemented or when somebody loses a ball or just does not have an eye for the teammate.

"I don't blame anyone for it, that's my problem -- I need to adapt to the league and cope with those situations."

"Not everything is seen that happens on the pitch -- the teammate in a good position, where it might get dangerous, how a situation develops," Schweinsteiger said. "Too many balls are lost as well. But that's normal.

"If this were not the case, the people would not play in the United States but rather in the Bundesliga, Premier League or La Liga. Still, MLS has potential, a lot of potential."

A coach
    whose top players chose to play in that league...

"There's nothing I can do about it," Klinsmann told reporters Monday. "I made it clear with Clint's move back and Michael's move back that it's going to be very difficult to keep the same level that they experienced at the places where they were. It's just reality. It's just being honest."

"I think he's been faced with a very, very difficult year, going from a Champions League club [AS Roma in Italy's Serie A] to a team, Toronto, that seems like they're not even going to qualify for the playoffs," Klinsmann said. "It's a huge disappointment."

"He had good moments [and] he had missed passes," Klinsmann said diplomatically. "Totally fine. It was good to have him back."