The Jose "Special One" Mourinho Thread (Part 3.) [R]

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by vilafria, Dec 22, 2008.

1. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #501 ---Z---, May 25, 2017
    Last edited: May 25, 2017
    Mourinho still won 3 trophies with Man United. They will get better. His CV speaks for itself.

I remember 2003/2004 football season very well. FC Porto's main rival for the CL title was probably AC Milan, but they crashed out to Deportivo. Real Madrid was also viewed as a major contender but they did not have a balanced side at the time, despite having players like Figo, Ronaldo (Brazil), Raul and Zidane.

AC Milan really had a great team during that era. They had players like Maldini, Costacurta Nesta, Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Seedorf, Gattuso, Pirlo, Inzaghi, and Shevchenko. Their collapse to Deportivo was one of the craziest turn-arounds ever seen in the CL. It was more shocking than Barcelona coming back against PSG this season.

Deportivo had a good team in those days, their semi final with Porto was tough and decided by one goal which was a penalty kick. It was a shock for FC Porto to win it all, but they were recognized as a strong and capable side.

Porto were generally viewed as slight faviortes in the final against Monaco. Monaco had impressed with some high scoring games, and also eliminating Real Madrid from the competition. Deschamps coached them and cagoued in the final against a Portuguese side, which foreshadowed what would happen in Summer 2016.

I think the gap nowadays is even wider. In those days the "top clubs" werent as far away from the rest it seemed. In 2004 the field was more wide-open.

Maybe im nostalgic but football in those days was

BatatasFritas and Sumol repped this.
  2. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Mourinho won more trophies in his debut season with Man United than Liverpool has in 10 years.

3. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One could argue that since Mourinho is a human being with children aged similar to those who lost their lives this week in Manchester, this game may have meant something different to those guys today. His celebration today shouldn't be questioned, IMO.

BatatasFritas and verde-rubro repped this.
  4. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    I obviously miss those days too. I remember those years well and I don't think the gap was that much than it is now.
    The Portuguese league was absolute crap in Europe before Porto and Boavista started doing well in the CL and Porto's eventual UEFA Cup win.

5. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I've resurrected this thread for very grim reasons...

Jose Mourinho is expected to be sacked very soon by Man Utd.

Is he washed up? Are his tactics outdated? He's become a walking meme in England.

One thing is for sure, Man Utd did absolutely nothing to show they support his philosophy over the transfer window.

6. Ramos77

Ramos77 Member

Benfica
    Portugal
    Jun 24, 2017
    He needs to take this on the chin and take a break for a while and reflect on his attitude.

Ever since Madrid he has lost his touch with his players and he is no longer respected in the dressing room.

His super defensive tactics no longer win him games so it's time to rethink his philosophy.

I also think he's an over rated coach who has had some awesome squads to coach, hasn't been able to replicate his success with lesser teams.

He's become too polarising and disrespectful.

7. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    I don’t like Mourinho as a coach he’s not my cup of tea but to say he is overrated after all his achievements is just utter nonsense. The guy stopped a Barcelona side winning La Liga which is probably the greatest football side ever. I agree with you that the Madrid post was the end for him but winning that title against that Guardiola side took so much out of him IMO that he’s never been the same since.

8. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Real is just a poison club for a manager, Mourinho became so cynical during and after, against most other clubs (Barça,Guardiola) it would of been another another wrung of the ladder to immortality in football manager terms. Always liked Barça and never Madrid, Messi over Ronaldo (prefer his style more) and Guardiola over Mourinho (even though I really like defensive football), but even without either Barça or Guardiola, Mourinho did not really shine at Chelsea (second time), biased yes but there is no doubt Mourinho has lost something and has turned his "us against them" more into "me against everyone else".

Ramos77 repped this.
  9. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Mourinho used to be able to turn no name players into his most valuable talent and decent players into amazing talent. Remember the likes of Derlei, Carlos Alberto, Nuno Valente, Muntari, Chivu, Milito, etc.... it looks to me that he kind of lost that that passion. Every player he buys now doesnt really pan out anymore.

palynka repped this.
  10. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Well, Man Utd never really bought the players he wanted, especially this past summer. It's difficult to implement your vision without the players you need. If a club can't support the managers philosophy, i don't understand how he is supposed to succeed.

After today's win while he was walking off the pitch, he repeatedly mumbled "Sons of B*****S" to the camera in Portuguese. That just shows us how bad things are behind the scenes with the club.

[​IMG]

11. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    No doubt he still one of the Best managers, good statistic.

12. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    This. I think that there was a change in mentality that means that Mourinho's man management is outdated and archaic. While the captains were still old school, that helped him deal with the younger ones. But nowadays, even the captains are no longer old school and he doesn't know what to do with it.

Like Klose in the video below, he doesn't understand them and so can't work with them. I'm not saying they are right to be judgemental, just that I think that this is the mentality Mourinho could work with and that is gone.

13. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Mourinho sacked.

14. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    SHOCKER!!!!!!!!!!!! :D;)

15. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    So, how many Millions does Jose walk away with?

16. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    Yep thats Jose. Im not going to quit, you fire me and I still get paid. lol lol Secana

17. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come to Benfica

18. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I think he was trying to purposefully get sacked so he can get his huge severance pay. He has been pushing so many buttons for the past several months. If the board hates you, why stay?

eurodad and SCP_16 repped this.
  19. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Exactly.

Let's be honest, though. Mourinho is done. He needs some time off. His tactics are antiquated and he is completely lost in contemporary attack-minded football.

I can't see him at another big club in the foreseeable future. However, I think the Italian game better suits him more than anything.

+PL+ and eurodad repped this.
  20. theFOOTBALLlover

FC Porto, SC Freamunde & Fraser Park FC
    Jan 17, 2015
    Sydney
    I don't think he is done. The guy is a winner. He just needs to take time off (as you mentioned) and evaluate his work and freshen up his ideas.

21. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #521 Sumol, Dec 20, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
    I can't stop laughing at the Mourinho-Pogba bust up. What do we think was said in this video? Did Mourinho go full colonialist? lol

im kidding about the colonialist part. Let's not get all offended, people.

I think he told Pogba the truth and that is that Pogba has talent but that talent can only be shown when he allows the managers to control him (Pogba has a habit of not listening to his managers, he thinks he is bigger than the clubs he plays at)

22. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He told him not to post on instagram while the team is playing

Sumol repped this.
  23. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Jose Mourinho already back in Portugal to watch his home team Setubal as they lost 2-0 to Santa Clara. Say what you want about Mourinho, but he loves Portugal. He just couldn't wait to get out of England.

[​IMG][​IMG]

24. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    He looks pretty relaxed now.

25. Ramos77

Ramos77 Member

Benfica
    Portugal
    Jun 24, 2017
    I'd be relaxed too with a fat cheque for 20 something million pounds and some time off work.