The Jose "Special One" Mourinho Thread (Part 3.) [R]

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by vilafria, Dec 22, 2008.

1. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pep, Klopp, Mou all in the same league at the same time is awesome

theFOOTBALLlover repped this.
  2. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ---Z--- repped this.
  3. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Don't forget about Wenger still being there. I love seeing Mou and him take constant shots at each other. The press is going to love next season.

4. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  5. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    This is the greatest public destruction of a managers own player i have ever seen. Mourinho is such a villain.

6. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hes not the second best Portuguese manager in the Premier League for nothing

7. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Why not jsut call the kid a puppet. :D

8. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #483 Sumol, Apr 8, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
    Second best? Who is the best? Name one manager in the Premier League who has such super-powers that involves mind-control.

Marco Silva is almost there but this is an acquired skill-set.

Mourinho is simply an alien.

9. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marco Silva actually wins matches so...

10. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    He just got destroyed today. Dude wins a few games with Hull and all the sudden he's the best. Jesus, you guys are fickle.

11. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Dude, he did the impossible with Olympiakos in the Greek league :ROFLMAO:

In all seriousness, he has done a decent job with Hull thus far and I think he will avoid relegation considering the way Swansea is playing

To compare MS with Mourinho is laughable at this stage of his career.

12. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Seriously. He's done well but let's put the pipe down for a second. I'd argue that Jardim has done way more than MS. Would love to see him in the EPL

13. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol he's obviously not Mou, just very impressive since joining hull. More points than Mou since then too, fwiw

14. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    A team like Manchester City is heavily favoured to beat teams at the bottom of the table. No idea why him losing to them is shocking? Silva has beaten Liverpool & Manchester United during his time there so far which nobody thought was even remotely possible. MS has drastically improved Hull, no denying that.

15. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    He did it again.........

4/4 in European Competition.

[​IMG]

JoseEmidio repped this.
  16. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005

IMO the title is an embarrassment all-around. Manchester United, a club matched only by Real Madrid and Barcelona in generating revenue, won a competition playing against teams whose revenue and budgets are mere percentage points relative to United's. Pogba cost more than the entire Ajax squad FFS.

And then the embarrasment extends to Mourinho. The same guy that literally said the Europa League was beneath him a few years ago, now celebrates winning it more effusively than when he took what very well may be the last team outside of the "Top 5" leagues to win a Champions League.

Real Madrid destroyed him. He's a shell of his former self and has not adapted well to the way the game has been changing.

JoseEmidio repped this.
  17. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I think it's too soon to say he hasn't adapted to the way the game has been changing. He stiffled Chelsea at the end of the season, completely embarrassed Conte with a weaker team. Give him another year to see what transpires out of his transfers. The only bright spots this season for United were the pieces that Mourinho added to the team. He inherited a mess. LVG & Moyes destroyed United, it's a rebuilding team right now so we can't expect them to catapult to the top right when Mourinho gets there.

18. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    I see him with an EPL title (Chelsea), one Community shield,one League cup,and an Europa League cup titles (ManU) since he left Real Madrid (1 La Liga title ) . He really hasn't adapted that well .

JoseEmidio and verde-rubro repped this.
  19. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    This is a BS excuse because this was exactly what he was so good at. It was a well-known meme that he's amazing his first 2 years and then declines.

Every team is rebuilding when they get a new coach. It's no excuse. Porto was a mess before he went there, turned that right around. Killed it at Leiria. He joined Real Madrid when they were on a near decade long run of not being able to make it past the CL Round of 16. Turned that right around and they haven't looked back since.

He used to be able to do this with extremely limited resources and this season constructed a dismal-playing squad, despite having literally more resources at his disposal than any other manager in the world. He's lost it. The Mourinho that was winning everything he wanted from 2003-2012, until bitch ass Casillas turned rat and broke Mourinho's belief system, that Mourinho is a long ways aways IMO. The same Mourinho that said "I am a Special One" would ********ing weep witnessing this today.

And now, the man who won the toughest European competition with the most limited resources in recent times is now the man celebrating even moreso, winning the easiest European competition with the most resources in recent times. Truly astonishing.

JoseEmidio repped this.
  20. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Mourinho trolled everyone by still finding a way to the champions league. He knows the Europa league is a joke but it got Man U in the CL

21. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    After he tried and failed to nab a Top 4 spot in the EPL. This was in no way a long-con. This was clearly Plan B. This considering that, aside from Chelsea, the rest of the top teams were inconsistent and not up to par of the usual Top 4 race. They just sucked less than Man U it seems.

22. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005

I'm not a fan of his other than the fact that he obviously increased the value of Portuguese soccer in general and management in particular, but to say that he went from unbelievably good to desperately poor is disingenuous and naive, so I'll defend him a bit.
    First when he was at FCP he had the best team in Portugal when he won the CL. It also helped his cause that in that season all of the normal candidates had been eliminated earlier, the other finalist was Monaco.
    To jump ahead to today's final, the Europa league that since 2009 in-cooperates the 3rd place CL group teams is a harder competition than the Uefa Cup of 2003. True, it is the secondary continental competition, but not by any stretch of imagination an easy competition.I don't think that ManU has that good of a squad currently nor was all of it available to play anyway to support your claim of most resources available.
    I saw him celebrate the win with gusto today, and I gather it means a lot to him.

verde-rubro repped this.
  23. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    Well I'm a pretty big fan of his, or was, and I think it's clear we have different perspectives immediately in your first point. I'm not sure how you discount his contribution to developing players like Deco, Maniche, Ricardo Carvalho, etc who weren't exactly recent teenage starlets.

And please, that last point, downplaying the significance of the quality of competition is some weak sauce. I don't think you really remember that team so reread some of those names up there. That Porto team was a great team and would've challenged for the final in most years in that period.

24. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    OK, I remember the ManU game and the final mostly because those were the only 2 games ESPN showed in the US, but I checked the wikip. just now to refresh my memory and see that FCP finished 2nd in their group behind RM. On the R16 they beat ManU. QF they beat Lyon,SF they beat Deportivo, and Monaco in final. Other than ManU which team was there that were top top clubs ?

verde-rubro repped this.
  25. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005

Real Madrid also qualified behind Dortmund in this group stage yet one made the final and the other got spanked out of the competition by a team that got spanked out of the competition by the other finalist.

Everyone knew Mourinho's Porto knew how to win. That is the only uniform trait in the teams that you listed. Porto beat them. And yes, they beat Man U, a Lyon team that dominated France for years, a Deportivo team that had just beaten the holders AC Milan 4-0, and then a Monaco team that beat Real Madrid and had players like Patrice Evra, Morientes, Giuly, etc.

Not the kind of context you'll find in a single Wikipedia page I suppose.