The Jonathan Gonzalez Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by TheFalseNine, Dec 14, 2017.

1. bigt8917

bigt8917 Member+

May 10, 2015
    Ding ding!

2. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do McKennie and Adams have a possibility to go play for a team in the world cup?

Overachiever repped this.
  3. KicksNgiggles

KicksNgiggles Member

Aug 18, 2016
    BHM
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh, yeah. Where have you been?

4. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It has when one wants to use it manipulatively to get something they want.

5. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I get it, but if a "snub" is the deciding factor, it sounds like he was waiting for Mexico more than he wanted the US.

Good for the kid and at least he isn't prolonging this and using it as leverage.

6. Statman

Statman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed, but don't let that stop the attacks on JG's indecisiveness and lack of 'Merican pride just because someone at USSF couldn't find 10 minutes to pick up the phone and give him a call.

sXeWesley and SCSAutism repped this.
  7. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Geez. I hope this is some really bad sarcasm.

8. USSoccerNova

USSoccerNova Member+

Sep 28, 2005
    You should be. At the very least, he would have offered depth, tactical flexibility and all sorts of other option value going forward. And he likely would have achieved far more than that given that he's a promising young player with plenty of growth potential.

And while I realize that you never personally rated him as highly, he was a Liga MX Best 11 choice at 18. That's almost unprecedented in our player pool. His grit and work-rate would have mixed well with some of the more skilled offensive players that you like.

ShortyMac, Namdynamo, sXeWesley and 4 others repped this.
  9. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I doubt this happens with JK as coach. He was always quick to call in young players breaking through, especially dual nationals (Miazga, CCV, Gooch, Alvarado, etc). JG was a starter from the beginning of the season. He had played in 6 games prior to the September camp and another 2 before October. I think JK would have called him in for both Fifa breaks. The situation and games would have gone differently, but without changing them it is easy to see how he could have replaced CP in the Panama game. I’m pretty sure no matter the situation, there would have been a chance to get him on the field in one of those 4 games.

It is weird how the foreign coach was more worried about the future of national team than the American guy who was just focused on his job and reputation.

Greg Heaney and USSoccerNova repped this.
  10. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't even.

SCSAutism and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  11. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both parties deserve plenty of blame, if you're honest.

USSF shouldn't have hired Jurgen Klinsmann and Bruce Arena leading them to missing the World Cup so unfathomably. Then USSF shouldn't have hired someone tied to the failure in Dave Sarachan as interim manager. Still, he should have maintained communication with Gonzalez through the Portugal match to explain to him why he wouldn't be a presence.

But Jonathan shouldn't have been so fickle. It somewhat comes with the territory of being that naïve and a dual with split allegiances. However, you are one or the other more. He'd have an easier time figuring out which one at a later age I'm sure. Maybe he regrets this. The problems with the program he was a part of and supposedly it was a dream to play for just a couple years ago are temporary. USS will hire a permanent manager hopefully more competent learning from some of the mistakes they previously made. Subsequently, Jonathan could have played in 3 World Cups. Mexico would have missed the last WC if the U.S. hadn't given them the lifeline that El Tri didn't return this cycle. He may well play effectively the same amount or less for Mexico because of better top-end talent in his area right now and probably fitting a pressing system more like the U.S. plays. From my understanding, Mexico just offered him a path to this World Cup, and then even if he impresses at every step in all likelihood he's a bench rider. He chose the charmer showering him with gifts who are more apt to turn on him later when they meet someone new.

12. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Top story on ESPN today

13. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Attacks on his Americanness are out of bounds. But indecisiveness ... definitely in bounds. This program has called him up for YEARS. If a single data point turns him off forever, it is certainly within reason to question whether he was ever all that committed. Hell, I said the same thing about Subotic years ago, and his case was a more difficult one than this case. I would be a hypocrite to state otherwise now.

Bottom line, I can admit that the USSF failed in a critical moment with their recruitment pitch, as we knew at that moment Mexico had more rewards to offer immediately. But that does not make HIS decision one that was made from the position of victimhood. The two positions are not mutually exclusive.

WrmBrnr repped this.
  14. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

15. Lukato

Lukato Member+

Sep 7, 2012
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    I think this pretty much confirms it in case someone still believes is just the "FMF making up news". Cesar Montes is another young mexican international that plays for Monterrey.

16. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland

This is real. We managed to ******** this whole thing up...wow. I'm from Switzerland, yes, but I always supported and cared about the USMNT as my mom is American. This loss hurts, mainly, because it stems from negligence on the part of U.S. soccer. Typical.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  17. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    how much of a loss is this?

has Mexico at all seem like he would be a starter for them or just another potential squad player?

Because surely he knows this recent qualifying was a one-off. We will be in the next WC.

WrmBrnr repped this.
  18. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    There's no way an interim-manager not calling the player, after the club asked him to leave him home, was what led him to switch to Mexico. He's represented us at every youth level, so obviously he knows he's wanted by US Soccer.

Fact of the matter is that prior to November, he was simply an 18 y/o prospect at one of the biggest clubs in Mexico. After November he was a league winner who displaced a Mexico internhational, an all LGMX 1st team player, and one of the higest rated players in Mexico. And choosing Mexico vastly improves his earning potential through endorsements while he's there - oh it also gives him an opportunity to participate in a World Cup, which would give him a glide path to Europe.

This was a business decision. And if you want to blame someone, blame Jurgen Klinsmann and Bruce Arena for the coaching nightmare they put on display. If we had a world cup to play, he wouldn't be making a switch.

19. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    These are the consequences that go along with bombing out of qualifying. Neither shocked nor bothered.

By the time we’re playing meaningful games again hopefully we have a couple more players of his ceiling to call in.

Borrachin and USSoccerNova repped this.
  20. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    I think it's Bradley's fault. Maybe Zardes too.

deuteronomy repped this.
  21. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He always wanted to play for the US. His parents both want him to play for Mexico. He's 18. With the state of the USMNT, I can hardly blame an 18 year old for immediate gratification that pleases his parents. This one will come back to bite the USMNT in the butt. Like much of Gulati's 'leadership'.

Gacm32 and USSoccerNova repped this.
  22. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    If this is TRUE, I think JoGo might regret this decision if it was done based on being snubbed in a worthless friendly by an "interim" coach.

However, I feel there's a lot more to this switch than his being snubbed for Portugal. Did Mexico made him an offer he can't refuse? Was his heart with 'El Tri" all along, and he jumped at the chance as soon as Mexico shows interest?

23. LeYankee

LeYankee New Member

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 20, 2017
    With this, he's well on the way to replacing Cuauhtemoc Blanco as my most disliked Mexican player of all time. He has the right to choose Mexico, and I have the right to dislike him double both for choosing my least respected national team (I still think they tanked it in the last qualifier) and choosing against his homeland. If he turns into a consistent starter, I will be pained by his victories and relish his defeats, both like none other.

That said, I hope he has a great club career in between getting repeatedly heartbroken on the national team level.

24. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Also want to add that I don't blame the kid in the least. He's a dual national, and he's got to make the best decision for his future. Athletes have a very limited time to earn money, and a blown knee could end that time quite early.

sXeWesley and laxcoach repped this.
  25. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #450 Jazzy Altidore, Jan 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    This is what he said publicly when he was nowhere near the FMF radar. But as soon as interest was shown, he reciprocated. This kid is from an immigrant family in Santa Rosa, CA. I guarantee he grew up in a very pro-Mexico NT/anti-USMNT environment.

WrmBrnr and Lukato repped this.