The Jonathan Gonzalez Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by TheFalseNine, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    He sounds wounded, but unlike guys like Diskerud he's not saying "first come, first served."

2. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    I wonder if Monterrey purposefully avoided passing along to Gonzalez their conversion with US Soccer.

3. Ironbound

Ironbound Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    Of course he wants to "play in a world cup." But is he, at age 18, going to forever give up his dream of playing for his native country for an outside chance of making it to this World Cup with his parents' country? Probably not, based on what we've heard about him.

LouisianaViking07/09 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  4. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You clearly wrote that as if him sticking with us is a foregone conclusion, but when I read it I find it less than convincing. To rephrase your own argument:

Would a young kid that neither of us really know anything about, seize the opportunity in front of him right now, to play in the actual World Cup, a dream he has fought for his entire life, for the nation whose domestic league he actually plays in now?

Or would he postpone it for another 5 years, an eternity in the professional athlete career window in which anything could happen, injury, form, etc to play for a federation that apparently doesn't give two shits about him?

It's entirely plausible that he sticks with us and I hop that is the case, I just want everyone to be aware of the actual practical choice here that isn't really much of one at all. We are put in a pathetic position that could have lasting repercussions for cycles to come because of our inept, arrogant and incompetent leadership.

ifsteve and MarioKempes repped this.
  5. Understatement of the year if true;)

6. Ironbound

Ironbound Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    I don't think it's a foregone conclusion. I just think it is the more likely outcome.

7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Pomykal over Lennon. Lennon is way overrated, IMO.

I also wouldn't be against going with a two #6 look with Durkin over Mihailovic, which could actually help our offense because it'll give less defensive responsibility to the front four.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  8. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    I'm not enough of a youth team aficionado to argue the relative merits of a lot these guys. But so long as there isn't a mass exodus to Europe, we should have enough bodies to qualify.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  9. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

I share your sentiments, but I am a bit more oppunistic.

Jogo is 18, he has at least 3 more WC ahead of him. It's not like he's going to play in Liga MX for the rest of his career. If he continues to grow, Europe will be calling him.

If I was him, I would think long term. A chance to play with Pulisic, a genuine world star in the making. Also, not to mention the chance to reunite and play with his US youth teammates and friends.

And from what we have heard, he seems like a smart kid, so my money is on him making the smart and right decision to stick with the US.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  10. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    A full time manager of the USMNT with a mandate to revamp the program and a clear line of attack to qualify for Olympics, win both GC's, CA, LoN games, etc. could make a convincing case but I don't see anything from the media and USSF other than a lot of monkeys picking fleas off each other. They are completely incompetent.

11. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I think we'd be looking to bump Carleton as near to goal as we can and I agree Durkin over Mihailovic which was exactly what I was thinking also.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  12. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think what some of you are missing is that the Mexican coach says he will still need to win a spot if he files his one time switch. It's what Klinsman should have told Green (maybe he did) so that it oesn't hurt team moral by leaving off a well liked player that the team likes in favor of a young kid. That makes his chances better of playing for the US especially if he thinks he's good enough for more than one.

13. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Sure wish we could move beyond the binary choice of JG/LD. It was not binary. Ajo was hurt and went, and Mix didn't even play a single minute. Green at least took his chance unlike Wondo,. who never should have been on the team.

Such a tired and incorrect narrative. SMH

14. Can Feyenoord please get him asap!!!!

ChuckMe92, SCSAutism and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  15. Cynical US fan

United States
    Mar 30, 2017
    Boston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's very possible the following situation arises prior to the WC: a Mexican central midfielder is injured and Jogo continues to play well for his club. The Mexican coach reaches out to Jogo and he makes his one-time switch. The US is out of luck.
    Just playing with Pulisic on the USMNT frankly doesn't carry much weight. If there were 2-3+ Pulisics, that's a different story.
    We have very little going for us right now and in the near future. Why would Jogo refuse a great opportunity, like Green did.

sXeWesley repped this.
  16. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Green was not getting on the full German team, ever. So there was no reason for him to wait. JoGo IS already in the US setup, and is sure to get capped in the very near future. The 2 situations are not analogous.

17. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

Correct. Green was nowhere near the German senior NAT team, heck he wasn't even on their youth team. Just like Jones. They both had ZERO shot at going to the WC with Germany.

JoGo, however, has plenty of WC chances ahead of him with the US.

18. an1310

an1310 Member+

Jun 2, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Just curious -- do you know Jonathan Gonzalez?

19. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Jermaine Jones received caps from the senior Germany NT.

20. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Green was cap tied to Germany because he played competitive matches on the U19 team. He is also the only dual-national that Germany publicly acknowledged recruiting with calls from Jogi Lowe's staff.

Johnson was cap tied as a starter on the 2009 Germany U21 Euro championship team with players like Neuer, Howedes, Boateng, Kherida, and Ozil.

Jones was cap tied at U19, U21. Jones also had full NT caps for the 2006 B team and 2008 and 2009 teams.

21. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope

22. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    this is one + of things like the concacaf and UEFA Nations League. The axing of friendly games means that almost all the games played will be competitive as such once a player gets called up, they will highly likely to be permanently cap tied. So situations like this with Gonzalez should happen less often.

Green was only 19 years old and still playing in the Bayern reserves. Jumped at the chance to play in the WC so he flipped. Usually players need to breakthrough 1BL and impress.be consistent before even making the seniors. Also majority of times, the players go through the youth NT levels as well. And you rarely see less than 20 year olds making their senior debuts. But in the end he wouldn't have been good enough for Germany anyways, almost 23 and isn't even impressing in 2BL. He doesn't even deserve a current US callup either.

Jones is lucky that all 3 of his caps were friendlies because otherwise would have been no US call up for him.If the UEFA Nations League existed back then, he would have been cap-tied as well. In the end he wasn't good enough for the seniors nor was he in the coach's plans. So he made the right choice to play for the US.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  23. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
  24. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #299 gunnerfan7, Jan 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    Stirring the pot. Again. May as well be a copy-paste of the other ones written about this.

P.S. The "California-born" label is stupid in this case. This isn't Aron Johansson, born in Alabama, raised in Iceland. Jonathan Gonzalez was born and raised in California. His connection here is deeper than birthplace.

deuteronomy, RayRay616 and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  25. nyjimmy

nyjimmy Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Seems like Mexico is being overly aggressive. File a one time switch to play in a meaningless friendly wout most of our main players. At that point you will be considered for a spot..

Anybody have a breakdown of Mexico’s CM depth? Guardado And who else?